• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

• 43,917 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 11:06 PM

what's next for manny - bob arum

yo.

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 13, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Majesty, I can see that you doubt Pacquiao, and you make very valid arguments.  But Pacquiao is the greatest test out there for Mayweather... if not, name me someone that can give Mayweather a decent challenge?  Because unless Flloyd is willing to atleast fight Timmothy Bradley (definitely a greater opponent than Maidana, Guerrero, or Alvarez) or accommodate some weight changes and fight Sergio Martinez, there's not a single person aside from Pacquiao that will give Boxing enthusiast an interesting match, whether he's too old, past his prime, or incapable of reacting towards certain punches.

Pacquiao who was sparked by Marquez unimpressive and stunned against Bradley isn't Mayweather's greatest test. 

Harder fights for Mayweather would be at 154 against Sergio Martinez or someone like that, if he gets past Cotto.   But there isn't many, Pacquiao isn't even someone you'd consider a "challenge" for Mayweather unless Mayweather got old in one night.  

Eventually you run out of opponents to face and let's be honest the sport of boxing isn't exactly bring up any new stars in the 147 pound division that's really captivating.  You got Danny Garcia but that's about it.    Because the Sport of boxing really hasn't spent any time hyping anyone else up or building anyone else up it isn't the way it used to be.  

The only names in boxing anymore are Mayweather and Pacquiao, and they shouldn't fight just because they are all that's left when Pacquiao is so far past it.  It wouldn't save boxing in the least and if Mayweather won they'd just say it doesn't mean anything like it meant years ago.   

The last 'star' boxing was trying to make was Adrian Broner and with his defeat at the hands of Maidana there went that.   Boxing needs stars and it needs characters that can put butts in seats for whatever reason, Mayweather is the last one, once he's gone... who is left to make you actually watch boxing?  Think about it, it's a sad but true reality.  

Mayweather going to 154 and fighting Alvarez was risky because it was out of his comfort zone.  IF we look at his last few opponents of Mayweather all could have been considered risks

He fought Shane Mosley after Mosley sparked Margarito and came off the biggest win he'd had in years and the most impressiveh e looked in years.  
He fought Victor Ortiz coming off of Ortiz defeating Andre Berto who was undefeated and groomed like a star and whom was WBC Welterweight Champion.   

He fought Miguel Cotto coming off of Cotto's revenge win against Margarito where Cotto looked not weight drained and natural at 154 whom was also WBA champion at 154 .

He fought Robert Guerrero also coming off of a victory against Andre Berto and whom was WBC Champion by defeating Berto after Mayweather vacated the title to move up to 154 and take Cotto's Championship.  

Then he moved up AGAIN to 154 to defeat WBC and WBA Light Middleweight Champion Saul Alvarez who was undefeated at 42-0 and was 23 years old.  

These fights are so overlooked and downplayed it's funny, because that's pretty darn impressive and that was Mayweather's last 5 fights.  It's the kind of thing no one will appreciate till he retires. 

Let's compare that to Pacquiao and Arum's matchmaking strategies 

He fights Margarito after Mosley already sparks him and he has a terrible performance against Roberto Garcia where his punching power looks gone(without cheating)   

He then fights Mosley AFTER Mayweather beats him after avoiding a fight with him after he knocked out Margarito. 

He then fights Marquez whom they assume is done because he went lights out with Katsidis and is getting hit a lot more and Ramos threw the fight against him being knocked out by a punch that didn't last after signing with Top Rank(not shady at all...).  

Marquez beats him and is robbed the decision, and Pacquiao tried to call out Mayweather after the fight to a chorus of boos from the audience and the luster started to wear off when people realized that after all these years Pacquiao still can't deal with counter punchers.  

So rather than fight Marquez straight after that again they fight Timothy Bradley whom is a Top Rank fighter but with no punching power.   They have a fight many people feel Pacquiao was robbed in but the announcing was atrocious giving Pacquiao credit for shots he didn't land that Bradley slipped.  

Alright so despite that lost and disputed decision there is still luster.  

Top Rank and Arum THEN figure Marquez MUST be done by now as he'd fought Fedchenko and didn't look very impressive. 

Pacquiao fights Marquez, is knocked down twice at 140 and then knocked out cold by a counter right hand.  

All the luster on a Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight is all gone.   

Then in this "comeback" they have Pacquiao fight Brandon Rios and a rematch with the shot Timothy Bradley who Pacquiao didn't even manage to look impressive against and was shaken by when he got hit by a right hand.  

Now what Arum is, is a very good matchmaker and he's very good at pinning guys against people that can make them look good while hyping them up to be more than they are.  Arum did this masterfully with Margarito till he was finally exposed and he's doing it with Pacquiao right now, the problem is time is running out on Pacquiao and the writing has been on the wall.  

Yes, the two names left in the sport of boxing is Mayweather and Pacquiao and once they are gone then the fight loses all its luster. 

In all reality the only way to sell a Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight now is if Mayweather loses to Maidana or Khan.   Then you can run the storyline of if Mayweather is getting old, if he's gonna be caught again and if Pacquiao can get to him etc etc etc.   That's pretty much the storyline they'd have go with, and quite honestly it would be the only thing that's gonna save boxing. 

Because in reality once Mayweather and Pacquiao have retired....there's no one.   Absolutely no one, because the sport of boxing has done absolutely nothing to promote itself or it's sport outside of those two names and it's a shame to watch Pacquiao paraded around out there despite how far he's slipped just so they can hold on for one chance at a Mayweather fight.  It honestly reminds me of when Larry Bird strummed through the later portion of his career through all his pain and injuries to try to have one more chance at Magic which never happened. 

I'd love for them to both retire than to see Pacquiao go out there and fight again and risk getting really hurt.   His style is based on coming forward and taking punishment, if he can't see right hands anymore and his ability to take punishment has waned tremendously which it has, then I don't want to see him fight Mayweather.   I don't want to see Pacquiao whom gets sparked around at 140 fight and was terribly hurt and unconcious that still gets stunned by non punching Bradley against a 147 pound Mayweather with one of the best counter right hands in the business, for what?  For what?    

I'm sure a lot of fans want it for their fantasy matchup but you look at where Pacquiao is right now.. if you truly truly are a fan of his.. you want him to retire.  You don't want to see him get his face beat in against Mayweather's style at 147 for no darn reason when it was obvious that he should have retired after the Marquez fight and I don't feel like watching Pacquiao take punches from a 154 pound Saul Alvarez till he's put in the hospital, someone he'd have beaten years ago.  

I don't want to see Pacquiao end his career that way and I'd just rather he retire after winning the rematch with Bradley and just go out with the mystique of a Mayweather fight and a championship won back, that's all he needs.  I don't want to see this "go on for too long" with a fighter like Pacquiao who has more to offer the sport of boxing outside the ring at this point than in it.    

So I'm not a Pacquiao hater.. I'm just a boxing fan that has seen this story way too many times and the tragedies that come from it that were never worth it and thinks Boxing should focus on building up other stars so that they'll actually have something after Pacquiao and Mayweather retire.

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Majesty, April 13, 2014 - 11:53 PM.

•     and Marc Maron like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#63 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.

• 10,257 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Caught the 2nd half of this fight & wasn't impressed by the "action."
Manny's punches appeared to lack the usual pop. 

Manny out landed Tim by a smaller margin than the 1st fight but gets the W this time around. SMH

gifninja-1.gif

• 43,917 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Caught the 2nd half of this fight & wasn't impressed by the "action."

Well that's too bad cause it was only the first half that was worth watching at all.

yo.

#65 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,246 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Pacquiao who was sparked by Marquez unimpressive and stunned against Bradley isn't Mayweather's greatest test. 

Harder fights for Mayweather would be at 154 against Sergio Martinez or someone like that, if he gets past Cotto.   But there isn't many, Pacquiao isn't even someone you'd consider a "challenge" for Mayweather unless Mayweather got old in one night.  

Eventually you run out of opponents to face and let's be honest the sport of boxing isn't exactly bring up any new stars in the 147 pound division that's really captivating.  You got Danny Garcia but that's about it.    Because the Sport of boxing really hasn't spent any time hyping anyone else up or building anyone else up it isn't the way it used to be.  

The only names in boxing anymore are Mayweather and Pacquiao, and they shouldn't fight just because they are all that's left when Pacquiao is so far past it.  It wouldn't save boxing in the least and if Mayweather won they'd just say it doesn't mean anything like it meant years ago.   

The last 'star' boxing was trying to make was Adrian Broner and with his defeat at the hands of Maidana there went that.   Boxing needs stars and it needs characters that can put butts in seats for whatever reason, Mayweather is the last one, once he's gone... who is left to make you actually watch boxing?  Think about it, it's a sad but true reality.  

Mayweather going to 154 and fighting Alvarez was risky because it was out of his comfort zone.  IF we look at his last few opponents of Mayweather all could have been considered risks

He fought Shane Mosley after Mosley sparked Margarito and came off the biggest win he'd had in years and the most impressiveh e looked in years.  
He fought Victor Ortiz coming off of Ortiz defeating Andre Berto who was undefeated and groomed like a star and whom was WBC Welterweight Champion.   

He fought Miguel Cotto coming off of Cotto's revenge win against Margarito where Cotto looked not weight drained and natural at 154 whom was also WBA champion at 154 .

He fought Robert Guerrero also coming off of a victory against Andre Berto and whom was WBC Champion by defeating Berto after Mayweather vacated the title to move up to 154 and take Cotto's Championship.  

Then he moved up AGAIN to 154 to defeat WBC and WBA Light Middleweight Champion Saul Alvarez who was undefeated at 42-0 and was 23 years old.  

These fights are so overlooked and downplayed it's funny, because that's pretty darn impressive and that was Mayweather's last 5 fights.  It's the kind of thing no one will appreciate till he retires. 

He fights Margarito after Mosley already sparks him and he has a terrible performance against Roberto Garcia where his punching power looks gone(without cheating)   

He then fights Mosley AFTER Mayweather beats him after avoiding a fight with him after he knocked out Margarito. 

He then fights Marquez whom they assume is done because he went lights out with Katsidis and is getting hit a lot more and Ramos threw the fight against him being knocked out by a punch that didn't last after signing with Top Rank(not shady at all...).  

Marquez beats him and is robbed the decision, and Pacquiao tried to call out Mayweather after the fight to a chorus of boos from the audience and the luster started to wear off when people realized that after all these years Pacquiao still can't deal with counter punchers.  

So rather than fight Marquez straight after that again they fight Timothy Bradley whom is a Top Rank fighter but with no punching power.   They have a fight many people feel Pacquiao was robbed in but the announcing was atrocious giving Pacquiao credit for shots he didn't land that Bradley slipped.  

Top Rank and Arum THEN figure Marquez MUST be done by now as he'd fought Fedchenko and didn't look very impressive. 

Pacquiao fights Marquez, is knocked down twice at 140 and then knocked out cold by a counter right hand.  

Then in this "comeback" they have Pacquiao fight Brandon Rios and a rematch with the shot Timothy Bradley who Pacquiao didn't even manage to look impressive against and was shaken by when he got hit by a right hand.  

Now what Arum is, is a very good matchmaker and he's very good at pinning guys against people that can make them look good while hyping them up to be more than they are.  Arum did this masterfully with Margarito till he was finally exposed and he's doing it with Pacquiao right now, the problem is time is running out on Pacquiao and the writing has been on the wall.  

Yes, the two names left in the sport of boxing is Mayweather and Pacquiao and once they are gone then the fight loses all its luster. 

In all reality the only way to sell a Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight now is if Mayweather loses to Maidana or Khan.   Then you can run the storyline of if Mayweather is getting old, if he's gonna be caught again and if Pacquiao can get to him etc etc etc.   That's pretty much the storyline they'd have go with, and quite honestly it would be the only thing that's gonna save boxing. 

Because in reality once Mayweather and Pacquiao have retired....there's no one.   Absolutely no one, because the sport of boxing has done absolutely nothing to promote itself or it's sport outside of those two names and it's a shame to watch Pacquiao paraded around out there despite how far he's slipped just so they can hold on for one chance at a Mayweather fight.  It honestly reminds me of when Larry Bird strummed through the later portion of his career through all his pain and injuries to try to have one more chance at Magic which never happened. 

I'd love for them to both retire than to see Pacquiao go out there and fight again and risk getting really hurt.   His style is based on coming forward and taking punishment, if he can't see right hands anymore and his ability to take punishment has waned tremendously which it has, then I don't want to see him fight Mayweather.   I don't want to see Pacquiao whom gets sparked around at 140 fight and was terribly hurt and unconcious that still gets stunned by non punching Bradley against a 147 pound Mayweather with one of the best counter right hands in the business, for what?  For what?    

I'm sure a lot of fans want it for their fantasy matchup but you look at where Pacquiao is right now.. if you truly truly are a fan of his.. you want him to retire.  You don't want to see him get his face beat in against Mayweather's style at 147 for no darn reason when it was obvious that he should have retired after the Marquez fight and I don't feel like watching Pacquiao take punches from a 154 pound Saul Alvarez till he's put in the hospital, someone he'd have beaten years ago.  

I don't want to see Pacquiao end his career that way and I'd just rather he retire after winning the rematch with Bradley and just go out with the mystique of a Mayweather fight and a championship won back, that's all he needs.  I don't want to see this "go on for too long" with a fighter like Pacquiao who has more to offer the sport of boxing outside the ring at this point than in it.    

So I'm not a Pacquiao hater.. I'm just a boxing fan that has seen this story way too many times and the tragedies that come from it that were never worth it and thinks Boxing should focus on building up other stars so that they'll actually have something after Pacquiao and Mayweather retire.

Just my two cents. 

Exactly, Manny and Sergio Martinez are about it, but theres no way Mayweather would go up to 154 to fight Martinez.  LIke I've stated before, who else out there would give Mayweather a decent challenge... and try and provide names.  I mean you may think Manny is on the decline in I agree, he is past his prime, but regardless of that he would actually give fans a decent show unlike all of Mayweather's other boughts.

• 43,917 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Martinez is overrated to me, especially his last few fights.

yo.

#67 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

• 10,257 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 01:55 PM

PaqBrad2.gif

gifninja-1.gif

#68 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 2,066 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:49 PM

Mayweather fight is like watching the SPURS game which is boring but in smart way to win while Pacquiao's fight is like watching Clippers game which full of action and intensity.

2449wqt.jpg

#69 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,415 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Just my two cents. 

I repped this post but im not gonna lie i didn't even read it. lol. 

You gotta give a +1 for that effort. 

hR3rI.png

• 43,917 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:26 PM

^ I do that from time to time, not necessarily with just Majesty, but anyone who makes a long ass truly dedicated post often deserves at least a +1 just for that alone whether you actually agree with them or not, lol. Wish more people saw things this way though & were appreciative. Far too little are.

• Majesty and LakeShow1o1 like this

yo.

• 43,917 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:28 AM

Mayweather Afraid to Fight Pacquiao?

Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless discuss Manny Pacquiao's victory over Timothy Bradley; and if Floyd Mayweather should be afraid to fight the WBO Welterweight title holder.

yo.

#72 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

• 10,257 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 10:50 AM

Kudos to SAS on that. I don't like the show but the guy is right. 

Skips position is that of a hater, plain & simple. 

gifninja-1.gif

#73 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 2,066 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 17, 2014 - 04:05 AM

Mayweather Afraid to Fight Pacquiao?

I like this comment lol

Floyds words"Pacman can have the belt the belt doesn't define me" "My health is important i dnt care" "How is this guy walking through boxers like Cotto" " "I rather have my health than walk crippled" "I steal money from you all (fans)"

Don't get me wrong I like Mayweather and I think he can win against pacman with 55%-65% winning rate because of his defensive tactics, cause I still believe defense wins championship but the problem is pacman can change impossible to possible that makes mayweather so afraid of him. 8 titles enough said.

•     and lakersp4p like this

2449wqt.jpg

#74 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 04:19 PM

I like this comment lol

Don't get me wrong I like Mayweather and I think he can win against pacman with 55%-65% winning rate because of his defensive tactics, cause I still believe defense wins championship but the problem is pacman can change impossible to possible that makes mayweather so afraid of him. 8 titles enough said.

he can win against Pacman because Pacman has trouble seeing right hands anymore, got rattled by Bradley and starched by 140 pound Marquez and Mayweather fights natural hard punching 154 pounders that are 41-0 like Alvarez and not washed up cheaters like Margarito and also has the best counter right hand in the business.   

17 years without a loss, 12 time world champion, enough said. 

17 years for the record is dating all the way back to Kobe's rookie year. 

Edited by Majesty, April 17, 2014 - 04:22 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#75 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted April 17, 2014 - 05:07 PM

Mayweather will be [expletive]-made until he fights Manny.

He's scared.

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#76 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Mayweather will be [expletive]-made until he fights Manny.

He's scared.

Why do you think he's scared of Manny when Manny can't even beat Marquez?  

And before you say "Marquez was too small" if Marquez is too small why isn't Manny then? he was starched by Marquez. 

#77 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,279 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted April 17, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Manny has beaten Marquez before, and what's funny to me is everyone defending mayweather and then going on to say that it's pointless to fight manny now because it'd be a waste of time??.... what's the big deal? A fights a fight
I'll 5 of mayweather's last fights I could argue we're garbage "safe" picks by him and his team with maybe Alvarez being the riskiest of all, so why is that whenever the topic of him fighting manny comes up, hell needs to freeze over before mayweather takes the damn fight?
Personally I believe it would STILL break the bank if those two finally got in the ring DESPITE age. It's something the boxing community has been DYING to see a least once.

#78 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Manny has beaten Marquez before, and what's funny to me is everyone defending mayweather and then going on to say that it's pointless to fight manny now because it'd be a waste of time??.... what's the big deal? A fights a fight
I'll 5 of mayweather's last fights I could argue we're garbage "safe" picks by him and his team with maybe Alvarez being the riskiest of all, so why is that whenever the topic of him fighting manny comes up, hell needs to freeze over before mayweather takes the damn fight?
Personally I believe it would STILL break the bank if those two finally got in the ring DESPITE age. It's something the boxing community has been DYING to see a least once.

Yeah...safe....

• MAMBA24ILL likes this

#79 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,279 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted April 18, 2014 - 02:58 AM

Yeah...safe....

Mosley was already done by the time they fought and I truly believe it would have been a different fight had Mosley been the fighter he once was, Ortiz should pick a new career but boxing is probably all he knows, though clearly he isn't the fighter he was made out to be. I'll give you cotto as that was a way more fair matchup, Guerrero and berto however our mediocre built up fighters IMO that have no buisness being considered for big fights but that's how weak this weight class is and the sport has become overall. So out of the last five Alvarez and cotto were the only fighters I truly believe mayweather risked anything with and had a fair shot at causing him problems.

Btw majesty I truly respect your opinion I just honestly don't believe mayweather has risked that much recently and id rather him and pacquiao just get it over with already.

Edited by mrclutch, April 18, 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#80 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,459 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:14 AM

Why is it always Mayweather is trying to dodge? Didn't Manny first refuse to fight due to the Olympic style blood testing even when Floyd would have been doing the same testing.
21lsbya.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users