Photo

Phil Jackson joins the Knicks front office (Pg. 26 - Jackson/Dolan disagreeing on staff personnel decisions)

• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,157 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Lakers are not going to hire him to be the boss of Mitch. If so what type of message does that send to Mitch?  I love Phil's coaching ability and have no idea what he'd do in management even though I think it would be a great idea to try in a rebuild but essentially you are choosing between Phil or Mitch...

• JGuez likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,534 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 02:57 PM

Phil Jackson is leaning toward becoming the Knicks president of basketball operations, a source tells @stephenasmith. http://es.pn/O7k7dF

MORE: It's unclear if Phil Jackson's decision to take job w/ Knicks would include agreement to coach team next year. http://es.pn/1dDhAlh

Edited by JEN, March 08, 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#43 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,855 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Would Jeanie allow this?

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#44 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 08, 2014 - 03:37 PM

The Knicks offering THAT much power to Phil also wreaks of desperation to keep Carmelo, especially if they get him to replace Mike Woodson.  If he leaves anyway it's gonna be for naught and Phil won't coach the team anyway and will stay VP. 

Edited by Majesty, March 08, 2014 - 03:37 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#45 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:06 PM

I kind of want him to do it, to see if his basketball acumen goes beyond coaching like Riley.

#46 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,989 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:13 PM

sad season tbh

Edited by Ham, March 08, 2014 - 04:13 PM.

"Busto Ball" - troll

#47 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,698 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:15 PM

Would Jeanie allow this?

Does Jeanie wear the pants?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#48 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,989 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Lakers need to move ASAP. If not, I will be completely convinced that we are doomed. 

"Busto Ball" - troll

#49 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I kind of want him to do it, to see if his basketball acumen goes beyond coaching like Riley.

Would be interesting.  I'm sure there's thousands of Lakers fans ready to proclaim him the best President of Basketball operations of all time that will single handedly lead the Knicks into the championship level for years to come already though. 

Edited by Majesty, March 08, 2014 - 04:17 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#50 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,989 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:18 PM

You never pass on a basketball genius. 

"Busto Ball" - troll

#51 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,698 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Would be interesting.  I'm sure there's thousands of Lakers fans ready to proclaim him the best President of Basketball operations of all time that will single handedly lead the Knicks into the championship level for years to come already though. 

No. But sensible Lakers fans know that you don't pass up an opportunity to have Phil Jackson a member of your franchise.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:23 PM

You never pass on a basketball genius. 

There's 29 other teams in the league that wouldn't give their "President of Basketball Operations" title to Phil.

Why do you think the Knicks have?  

It's because he rebuffed them on coaching the team the first time.  

So they are offering him power and a LOT of it, there is probably a moment they will ask him to coach the team for a time before becoming president of basketball operations.    It's an attempt to get Carmelo to stay, what Phil gives them  in terms of basketball operations is irrelevant to the bigger point which is that they want Phil to coach this team and they hope it keeps them Carmelo. 

No. But sensible Lakers fans know that you don't pass up an opportunity to have Phil Jackson a member of your franchise.

As President of Basketball Operations though Windu?  Even you have to admit it wreaks of desperation from the organization after Phil rebuffed them on coaching the team.  They hope that this will convince him TO coach the team because of the power they are giving him in the office.  

Keeping Carmelo is their end game and Dolan likely couldn't care less what Phil's skills are as President of basketball operations if it means he can get Phil to coach the team and in getting Phil as coach it meant keeping Carmelo Anthony. 

There's 29 other teams in the league that wouldn't give Phil that kind of power or even slightly below it.  

The Knicks are doing this out of desperation.

Edited by Majesty, March 08, 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#53 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yet the Lakers have already shunned people like Kareem and Magic, apparently only West was good enough for the Buss family.

#54 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,989 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:44 PM

lol arguing against phil jackson.  :smh: nice.

"Busto Ball" - troll

#55 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,470 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted March 08, 2014 - 04:58 PM

There's 29 other teams in the league that wouldn't give their "President of Basketball Operations" title to Phil.

Why do you think the Knicks have?

It's because he rebuffed them on coaching the team the first time.

So they are offering him power and a LOT of it, there is probably a moment they will ask him to coach the team for a time before becoming president of basketball operations. It's an attempt to get Carmelo to stay, what Phil gives them in terms of basketball operations is irrelevant to the bigger point which is that they want Phil to coach this team and they hope it keeps them Carmelo.

As President of Basketball Operations though Windu? Even you have to admit it wreaks of desperation from the organization after Phil rebuffed them on coaching the team. They hope that this will convince him TO coach the team because of the power they are giving him in the office.

Keeping Carmelo is their end game and Dolan likely couldn't care less what Phil's skills are as President of basketball operations if it means he can get Phil to coach the team and in getting Phil as coach it meant keeping Carmelo Anthony.

There's 29 other teams in the league that wouldn't give Phil that kind of power or even slightly below it.

The Knicks are doing this out of desperation.

Pure idiocy all over this post. Get it right. Phil never rebuffed the Knicks. Stephen A on first take even explain how bad the Knicks we're the first time with Phil. James Dolan thought Phil should come to him instead of him coming to Phil asking to coach the Knicks. And therefore no traction was ever gained from the Phil-Knicks the 1st time around. Phil was a consultant for the Pistons an abomination of a franchise who fired Phil choice of head in one season Mo Cheeks. He was going to be President of Basketball operations if the Kings would've moved to Seattle. And was some sort of consultant here in Lakers as you proclaim so the way I see it Phil can find a Front Office job anywhere

Edited by magicbalala245, March 08, 2014 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

#56 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Pure idiocy all over thus post. Get it right. Phil never rebuffed the Knicks. Stephen A on first take even explain how bad the Knicks we're the first time with Phil. James Dolan thought Phil should come to him instead of him coming to Phil asking to coach the Knicks. And therefore no traction was ever gained from the Phil-Knicks the 1st time around. Phil was a consultant for the Pistons an abomination of a franchise who fired Phil choice of head in one season Mo Cheeks. He was going to be President of Basketball operations if the Kings would've moved to Seattle. And was some sort of consultant here in Lakers as you proclaim so the way I see it Phil can find a Front Office job anywhere

Except for the fact Phil already SAID he rebuffed the Knicks a few weeks ago. 

That the Knicks came to him offering him a coaching job and he politely declined. 

Maybe you should listen to Phil(the guy it happened to) instead of Stephen A. Smith next time before you claim what pure idiocy is. 

Edited by Majesty, March 08, 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#57 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:23 PM

It would be devastating if Phil were associated with another team

#58 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,573 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:47 PM

The Lakers shouldve offered him this position a while ago

#59 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:52 PM

This could very well just be a move to try and get an offer from the lakers(which I still think is doubtful). MDA is very close to getting fired but I think the lakers will rather he just finishes out the season and help the tank. But I cant see us ever offering anything to him if he doesn't at least coach for a year or 2 and groom the next coach. 

I think the knicks are holding out for a similar deal but I can see Phil not taking that. Its been known for a while he wants to just have the Pat Riley position but even Pat Riley had to coach a while before he could he could stop coaching their and just be in the FO.  

But as Ive said before Phil will want to be the top guy. That means buss pretty much out of the picture. I cant see Jimmy letting that happen. I really with both of them could just get over their past [expletive] already. 

• Majesty likes this

#60 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 06:07 PM

This could very well just be a move to try and get an offer from the lakers(which I still think is doubtful). MDA is very close to getting fired but I think the lakers will rather he just finishes out the season and help the tank. But I cant see us ever offering anything to him if he doesn't at least coach for a year or 2 and groom the next coach. 

I think the knicks are holding out for a similar deal but I can see Phil not taking that. Its been known for a while he wants to just have the Pat Riley position but even Pat Riley had to coach a while before he could he could stop coaching their and just be in the FO.  

But as Ive said before Phil will want to be the top guy. That means buss pretty much out of the picture. I cant see Jimmy letting that happen. I really with both of them could just get over their past [expletive] already. 

it's not just the past.   Jerry keeps it in the family and already prepped his sons for that position.   They are keeping the Lakers in the "Buss" name because it's a family owned business.  

They aren't gonna give Phil a President of Basketball Operations position(which puts him above EVERYONE).   Jerry sure as heck wouldn't do it.  The rest of the Buss's won't do it and they sure as heck wouldn't do it just so that Phil could coach this transitional team for a year. 

29 other teams wouldn't do that for Phil either.   the Knicks are just THAT desperate.  They can't amnesty anyone, they have no viable draft picks till 2017, the draft picks they gave away are unprotected, they're on the verge of losing Carmelo Anthony.  They are desperate and this was an act of desperation after Phil told them no to the coaching position 2 weeks ago.  

That's really messed up that they'd go ask Phil to coach their team 2 weeks ago while telling Mike Woodson to his face that his job is 'safe' around that same time.   

Edited by Majesty, March 08, 2014 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users