Photo

Phil Jackson joins the Knicks front office (Pg. 26 - Jackson/Dolan disagreeing on staff personnel decisions)

• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

#21 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 07, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Re: Phil Jackson/NYK: No secret he wants to work again. He's been clear saying he wants a Riley role. Lets see what role is actually offered

Along the lines of Team President then. That will never happen in NYK.

Edited by Ven, March 07, 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#22 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,855 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Along the lines of Team President then. That will never happen in NYK.

And in LAL

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 43,917 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 04:20 PM

a3ff05e68003b2bfe5296e7b40ff2b4a_bigger.Kevin Spain ‏@kevin_spain  2h
more on the phil jackson situation from the man who had a 1 on 1 with him last weekend, @sam_amick: http://ow.ly/umzMa

"So," I asked the 11-time champion coach after our interview over breakfast had come to an end, "am I going to see you soon or not?"

"We'll see," he said. "I don't want to be on the sidelines. That's for damned sure."

My strong sense at the time was that Jackson wouldn't have agreed to do the interview unless this was part of a bigger play, and sure enough he left plenty of crumbs on the trail of his potential return from retirement during our discussion. The aforementioned declaration that he didn't want to coach was the biggest of all, as Jackson didn't hesitate to make widely known what it appears he told the Knicks in their meeting.

But there was this doozy, too, one that was almost immediately picked up by writers in New York who have learned to decode Jackson's dialect as well as anyone.

"There are winners and losers in the NBA, and a lot of people are trying to reclaim their position or change their culture or whatever," Jackson, who played 10 seasons for the Knicks and was part of their 1973 championship team, had said. "So yeah, there is (opportunity). I've had conversations. Some of them are feelers. 'Are you interested?' type of thing."

And while we wait for clarity on the New York front, the Detroit issue that Jackson discussed at length is, the person close to the situation said, most certainly worth watching going forward as well. Jackson, who has served as an unpaid consultant to Pistons owner, friend and fellow Los Angeles resident Tom Gores and embattled general manager Joe Dumars, went out of his way to make it clear that Dumars made the decision to hire since-fired coach Maurice Cheeks.

This is yet another relevant clue, because Jackson's initial job description when this news broke in May was, as the headline read on the Pistons' official website, "to advise on coach search." Fast forward 10 months, and Dumars is now widely believed to be on his way out and Gores is almost-assuredly considering how much control he might give Jackson were they to take this partnership to the next level.

And just to take this Pistons theory yet another step forward here, feel free to connect these dots from the interview as well: when asked a universal question about which coach is currently unemployed that shouldn't be, he answered with … Larry Brown. Never mind the fact that the former Pistons coach who led Detroit to the title in 2004 is currently employed at Southern Methodist, this is the name Jackson chose. And by the way, Jackson would later go on to wax poetic about how the media is too tough on owners who decide to hire so-called retread coaches, as well as why teachers like himself and Brown are so effective (For those who wondered, I didn't mention Brown's short tenure as Knicks coach because that possibility seems implausible given the nature of his exit and his dynamic with owner James Dolan).

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#24 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,320 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 07, 2014 - 05:06 PM

For those thinking we should give Phil a offer, that means mitch is gone. No way Phil will play second fiddle to mitch.
  • JGuez and Majesty like this

#25 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,855 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 05:39 PM

For those thinking we should give Phil a offer, that means mitch is gone. No way Phil will play second fiddle to mitch.

Mitch is not the problem in my opinion. I think he and Jim do not have a solid relationship. No way you lose Mitch. Phil can apply his ideas and recommendations, but Mitch is one of the best when it comes to trades and negotiations. 

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#26 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 1,916 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:19 PM

mitch is not the problem not even close, but if we can have Phil in GM position no doubt of what to do.

#27 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,008 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:39 PM

mitch is not the problem not even close, but if we can have Phil in GM position no doubt of what to do.

Do we know that Phil is a great GM? He may have a great basketball mind but that doesn't mean he knows how to wheel and deal. There's a difference.....

#28 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench

• 1,978 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Don't know if this was posted yet.

Heard it on ESPN today.

Seems like Phil told them he'll give his answer next week.

If Phil gets the job in NY I think this is it for Jim Buss.

#29 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:55 PM

http://lakernation.c...s-front-office/

#30 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench

• 1,978 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thank you my bad.

#31 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 1,058 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:59 PM

PLEASE No. PLEASE.

I love Phil, don't want him to got an organization like the Knicks.

#32 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Do we know that Phil is a great GM? He may have a great basketball mind but that doesn't mean he knows how to wheel and deal. There's a difference.....

Phil was a great coach, therefore he would make a wonderful (insert any position of power with the organization no matter how high). 

Logic.   

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#33 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*
  • Guests

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:07 PM

He can potentially end up like Pat Riley. 

• Julien and martin90 like this

#34 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench

• 1,978 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'd like Phil to be our Pat Riley.

#35 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'd give him a management position.
  • JGuez likes this

#36 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,475 posts
  • Name:Wade
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Thank you my bad.

Not a problem, merged with the other thread.

• Julien likes this

LeGj1r3.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

Q: When you take off your jersey for the final time, what will you leave behind on the court?
A: "My heart and soul." --Kobe Bryant

#37 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,140 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:37 PM

This makes no sense. Mitch and Phil actually have a great working relationship and they could very well coexist in a front office setting.

#38 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench

• 1,978 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:45 PM

Steve Mason created this:

"Make Phil Jackson president of basketball operation for the Lakers"
http://wh.gov/lyysN

Hit 100,000 signatures and President Obama has to make a statement lol.

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:36 AM

Jackson, who has a career record of 1,155-485 in 20 seasons with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, has won 11 NBA championships total.

He previously has said health considerations precluded him from seriously considering a return to coaching, telling NBA TV in late-January that "my stock answer has been I have no intention of coaching again."

But a source with knowledge of his thinking told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne that after having several surgeries over the past few years, Jackson is "ready to go back to work." While he's made it clear to any team that has approached him that he prefers a front-office role that would allow him to shape and mold a franchise the way Heat president Pat Riley has, he is open to the possibility of coaching for a short period of time if it were necessary in a transition period for a franchise with championship aspirations.

http://m.espn.go.com...city=losangeles
  • Majesty likes this

#40 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 08, 2014 - 05:40 AM

That means that if the Lakers put together a team next year somehow in free agency and the draft that looked like it could contend Phil would say "yes" to that sooner than he'd say "yes" to the Knicks in terms of 'coaching.' 

Guess this one will depend on how much power the Knicks are willing to give him.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users