3 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,782 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 01, 2014 - 11:26 AM

A while back NME - an esteemed british music magazine published a list of the 500 greates songs of all time. You can find the entire list here: http://consequenceof...cording-to-nme/

After skimming through the list, i quickly came to the conclusion that the writers from NME either are joking or are retarded. 

The top 5 really sums up my disgust:

5. The strokes - Last nite

4. The smiths - how soon is soon

3. Donna Summer - I feel love

2. Joy division - love will tear us apart

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit

Fair enough, Nirvana and Strokes needs to be pretty high - but The Smiths, Donna Summer and Joy Division? [expletive]ing british douchebags, they shouldn't even be in the top 500, much less top 5. 

Thoughts?

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 01, 2014 - 12:38 PM

Most cliche lists will top with Elvis, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and the occasional Bod Dylan. In reality there is never that much surprise.

But this list, wow. I love Nirvana but no way is SLTS the greatest song of all time. Smiths while I respect them, I actually prefer "This Charming Man" over "How Soon is Soon". Same with The Strokes, they have much better songs than "Last Nite". Wasn't sure about Joy Division so I went to look it up, that song is ok. I think it played in Donnie Darko.

Terrible list, like asking a guy who the greatest bands of all time and only recollecting to bands after the 80's.

Which reminds me. Is there a thread for people's top 10 songs of all time? I'd think this forum would get a wide array of tastes.

Edited by Ven, March 01, 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,342 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 01, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thriller # 1 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#4 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,468 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 01, 2014 - 07:10 PM

led zep will always and should always be in top 5 of any discussion..as well as jimi hendrix. Nirvana is great, but their songs are middle of the pack if we are talkin GOAT. The Smiths was a great band and they influenced quite a bit of the current gen of musicians.. but they are middle of the pack too

ap1.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users