Photo

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

• 43,917 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:17 AM

My older bro used to show me some of these as a kid. They were pretty terrifying, especially at that age. This sounds interesting.

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

All those late nights that children of the '80s and '90s spent curled up with a flashlight, reading "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark," will finally get a new life in the form of a movie. That's right, everyone's favorite childhood fright-fest is heading to the big screen.

Deadline.com reports that CBS Films has accepted a pitch from "Saw" writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to transform the classic short stories into a movie that centers on a set of outcast kids who work to save the town when their nightmares become a reality.

That means "The Big Toe," "The Hook," "The Dead Man's Hand" and some of the other tales that still haunt your every being after all these years could be fodder for cinematic screams. We all know the books' original illustrations by Stephen Gammell amplified their terror, so here's hoping they'll be incorporated somehow. (Contention arose in 2011 when the books were rereleased for their 30th anniversary with -- gasp -- new illustrations.)

n-SCARY-STORIES-TO-TELL-IN-THE-DARK-larg

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

• JEN and Ven like this

yo.

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:54 AM

wow  I used to read that book. 

me tie doughty walker is gonna scare the [expletive] out of me. 

Edited by Majesty, December 07, 2013 - 04:54 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#3 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,537 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Wow, I remember those books were always all checked out at the school library back in the day lol. Saw them at the local Barnes & Noble here last week or so too. Good times... Looking forward to checking this movie out.

#4 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted December 07, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Man, when are the Hollywood execs going to make choose your own adventure into a movie?

#5 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Oh, no way.

We used to read these aloud in elementary school. 

I hated the one about the guy who lost his toe, freaked me the [expletive] out.

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, December 07, 2013 - 08:07 AM.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#6 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted December 07, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Oh yea it is all coming back to me, can't wait, Still remember the girl waiting in the graveyard with the twist at the end, and also about a scarecrow, good stuff.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 07, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Oh yea it is all coming back to me, can't wait, Still remember the girl waiting in the graveyard with the twist at the end, and also about a scarecrow, good stuff.

The one that skinned the guy? yeah..

AND the maker of Saw is working on it...oh my X_X 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#8 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,767 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 07, 2013 - 03:27 PM

i remember these, good times...

i was a big goosebumps guy too...i think i read the first 47 or so of those

• JEN likes this

Posted Image

• 43,917 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 04:57 PM

If they can somehow make the creepy ass drawings from these books come to the big screen almost as flawlessly & realistic, this sounds even more potentially promising.

33e36d_2299337.jpg

yo.

#10 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,537 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 05:09 PM

If they can somehow make the creepy ass drawings from these books come to the big screen almost as flawlessly & realistic, this sounds even more potentially promising.

33e36d_2299337.jpg

It'd be cool if they bring those creepy drawings to the big screen.... and not those new drawings that came out in 2011. They're good drawings, of course.. but it just didn't match up with the horror the book series was always known for.

Edited by JEN, December 07, 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#11 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.

• 10,257 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted December 09, 2013 - 11:26 AM

I loved this book! The stories would scare the crap out of me each time I read them. 

gifninja-1.gif

#12 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,537 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:37 PM

Guillermo del Toro Is Developing a Scary Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Movie for You to Watch in the Dark

In good news for people who loved scary stories as kids — and bad news for people who pretended to like them to seem cool on their third grade camping trips and are still dealing with that trauma — Guillermo del Toro is developing a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark movie. According to Deadline, del Toro, who also currently has a deal to make a troll cartoon for Netflix, has signed on to produce and, possibly, to direct a film based on the trio of books by Alvin Schwartz. The Hellboy and Crimson Peak director confirmed the news on his Twitter account today. He has previously described the book series on his account as, "Allegedly a Y.A. book retelling of campfire tales. [Stephen] Gammell's art is scary as [expletive]." In case you didn't already know, Guillermo del Toro's Twitter account is just the best.

http://www.vulture.c...ry-stories.html

•     likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users