We still suck at free throws

#542 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,733 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 11, 2016 - 09:39 PM

All that stretching the floor with jimpers. Nobody practice them free throws.

#543 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,357 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 11, 2016 - 09:43 PM

It's probably those loose preseason rims.  Wait...what's that...the game was in Staples?    

#544 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 09:50 AM

Man where were all these injuries last season when it didn't matter.  Somebody tell the basketball gods we're trying to win games this year lol

#545 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,422 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 05, 2016 - 11:06 AM

We had a lot of injuries last season too

#546 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,733 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted December 05, 2016 - 01:29 PM

CURSE YOU INJURIES!!!

#547 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted December 06, 2016 - 09:17 AM

We had a lot of injuries last season too

73 total games lost for the entire roster.  Overall the 5th healthiest team in the league last season.  

• fido likes this

#548 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,996 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 18, 2016 - 09:29 PM

According to the Lakers (and a lot of fans) it's not about wins and losses this year.  Or has that already gone out the window?

Eventually the excuses will run out for this organization, but for now you just gotta hunt down the positives here and there.

#549 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted December 18, 2016 - 09:52 PM

According to the Lakers (and a lot of fans) it's not about wins and losses this year. Or has that already gone out the window?

Eventually the excuses will run out for this organization, but for now you just gotta hunt down the positives here and there.

Actually if i remember correctly, luke said before the start of the season that its not about the wins or losses as long as they execute the plan and go through the motions so it would be a natural reaction for them throughout the year and some of the games will result in losses.. to me the expectations were low before the start of the seaskn yet we surprised everbody and the natural reaction after these though losses are normal after seeing what they can become and what the future holds for them

#550 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,996 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 18, 2016 - 11:20 PM

Who knows what they can become or what the future holds?  I don't see anything but a very mixed bag at this point.

I thin they caught some teams by surprise and flat-footed, but teams have quickly adjusted to what they do.  The fact is their talent level just isn't that high.  Wins aren't gonna come when you're many steps behind a good chunk of the league.  Luke did say that, but Mitch said they were more concerned with development.  Many fans as well (including a giant portion on this board) weren't concerned about wins and losses, now suddenly they are.  For me wins and losses always matter.  They affect the psyche of a team, especially a young one.

#551 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,734 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 19, 2016 - 10:41 AM

The argument that "It's not about wins and losses" isn't to be taken literally without context. Every fan wants the team to win as many games as possible -- I think that is obvious. 

However with a young team and rookie head coach, it's a given that the team will struggle. Development and gradual growth is hoped for and expected. I personally hoped for 35+ wins. That does not mean I am content with that amount and not making the Playoffs. I want a championship. However, 35+ wins for this season would be more than double the amount of wins form last season, which shows considerable growth. And who knows? We may not even get there. 

But if our young core shows improvement and positive consistency, that's a big step forward. We can only hope that the wins accompany that. 

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

#552 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,797 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 05, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Big Pet Peeve of mine...most refs absolutely suck at throwing the ball up on jump balls.

That should be a skill they practice more.

(When i started watching ball, they actually jumped it up beginning of every quarter)

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#553 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,206 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 13, 2017 - 08:47 PM

You can lose while feeling good about the potential of the young players. The Timberwolves are a pretty bad team, but their core looks pretty good.

That's not the case with the Lakers. I'm not sure I see any future stars on this team. I wasn't expecting consistent star performances, but they need to show more. Ingram should be better, even though he's a rookie. Russell should be better, even though it's his 2nd year. Nearly everybody looks terrible on defense.

Posted Image

#554 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,422 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 14, 2017 - 07:59 PM

Lol

#555 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,938 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 16, 2017 - 04:01 AM

You can lose while feeling good about the potential of the young players. The Timberwolves are a pretty bad team, but their core looks pretty good.

That's not the case with the Lakers. I'm not sure I see any future stars on this team. I wasn't expecting consistent star performances, but they need to show more. Ingram should be better, even though he's a rookie. Russell should be better, even though it's his 2nd year. Nearly everybody looks terrible on defense.

What have you been watching?

#556 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,060 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 16, 2017 - 03:06 PM

What have you been watching?

I guarantee you he's saying the Timberwolves core looks pretty good solely based off of statistics and word of mouth.  I highly doubt he has sat down and watched an entire T'Wolves game.  

Every piece of this young core looks promising towards a degree, from top to bottom (Ingram, Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac).  It's simply going to take a stretch of 3-5 year for them to get comfortable.  

My only concern and issue to whine, moan, and complain about this year are the string of injuries we've suffered.  Other than that, everything that is happening in terms if wins and losses is expected.  This young team always looks promising in the first half, generally getting double digit leads on numerous occasions and controlling the game.  However, in the second half, they fail to keep their foots on the pedal and often don't make the proper adjustments.  These are all growing pains and it'll just take time.

• LACAS likes this

#557 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,206 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 06:47 PM

I guarantee you he's saying the Timberwolves core looks pretty good solely based off of statistics and word of mouth.  I highly doubt he has sat down and watched an entire T'Wolves game.  

Every piece of this young core looks promising towards a degree, from top to bottom (Ingram, Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac).  It's simply going to take a stretch of 3-5 year for them to get comfortable.  

My only concern and issue to whine, moan, and complain about this year are the string of injuries we've suffered.  Other than that, everything that is happening in terms if wins and losses is expected.  This young team always looks promising in the first half, generally getting double digit leads on numerous occasions and controlling the game.  However, in the second half, they fail to keep their foots on the pedal and often don't make the proper adjustments.  These are all growing pains and it'll just take time.

I've watched them a few times. They've had some nationally televised games.

They just look better. I don't use stats as the end-all-be-all, but it's hard to ignore the differences. They're about the same ages as the Lakers' core as well, so that's not an excuse.

Posted Image

#558 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,060 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 07:59 PM

I've watched them a few times. They've had some nationally televised games.

They just look better. I don't use stats as the end-all-be-all, but it's hard to ignore the differences. They're about the same ages as the Lakers' core as well, so that's not an excuse.

How can your argument center around, they "look better" while providing no evidence or explanation?

Karl Towns is the best player out of anyone, but looking at the entire landscape and body of work,  the Lakers play better team basketball, have greater and more balanced offensive potential at the guard/wing positions, and also have better playmakers.  The only edge I'd give the T'Wolves young core over the Lakers is that they're more athletic and have shown better individual defensive ability.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, January 16, 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#559 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,206 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 08:31 PM

How can your argument center around, they "look better" while providing no evidence or explanation?

Karl Towns is the best player out of anyone, but looking at the entire landscape and body of work,  the Lakers play better team basketball, have greater and more balanced offensive potential at the guard/wing positions, and also have better playmakers.  The only edge I'd give the T'Wolves young core over the Lakers is that they're more athletic and have shown better individual defensive ability.

I'm not a good Xs and Os guy. But, they're able to score more easily. They have easy go-to moves for offense. Towns is a force underneath and can stretch the floor. Wiggins can post people up, and his shot is improving. They both do those things to great efficiency. Russell's FG% is under 40%. At times, he looks lost. He doesn't know when to pass or shoot. He makes bone-headed turnovers.

Keep in mind Russell is from the same draft as Towns and Porzingis.

Posted Image

#560 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,060 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 09:01 PM

I'm not a good Xs and Os guy. But, they're able to score more easily. They have easy go-to moves for offense. Towns is a force underneath and can stretch the floor. Wiggins can post people up, and his shot is improving. They both do those things to great efficiency. Russell's FG% is under 40%. At times, he looks lost. He doesn't know when to pass or shoot. He makes bone-headed turnovers.

Keep in mind Russell is from the same draft as Towns and Porzingis.

Statistically speaking, the teams are nearly identical.  If you look at the stat splits, they're basically toe-to-toe across the entire board.  The Wolves aren't able to score more easily, they actually average less point per game than the Lakers do.  Lakers (104) Timberwolves (102), not that big a of a difference but still, they aren't a better scoring team as you'd imagine.

Wolves

http://stats.nba.com...50/traditional/

Lakers

http://stats.nba.com...47/traditional/

Russell has had a sub par year no doubt.  He isn't currently at the level of Porizingis or Towns, however the potential is still there.  You can't compare the development and progression of players in completely different positions.  You also have to take into consideration the environment and their overall rolls within the offense.  Russell has been doing alot of great things, his shot simply isn't falling.  Once it does, he'll pickup again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users