Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice

• Please log in to reply
2029 replies to this topic

#1981 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,307 posts

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:29 PM

Wonder Woman, flash and aquaman can be successful, as with any superhero movie it'll depend on critical and audience reception
Posted Image

#1982 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,741 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted April 12, 2016 - 08:04 AM

First you said it was like The Godfather, now you're saying it's Kobe Bryant?

DC fanatic at it's purest.

http://www.rottentom...awn_of_justice/

^ It gets a 29% " F " from critics, and a 69% " D+ " by almost 200k audiences.

Will not break a billion, will struggle to hit $900 million, a movie starring Superman and Batman who can't even beat Deadpool domestically. 

Yes, this is the Godfather and Kobe Bryant of all superhero movies.

Don't forget Citizen Kane, which Flopped at the Box Office

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#1983 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 12, 2016 - 09:17 AM

I was holding out hope that you were just trolling Marvel fans but now I'm starting to think you actually believe what you're saying.......and it's frightening.  Yea decades from now when technology has influenced movies even further and the DC and Marvel universes have been reset another 2-3 times people will look back on BvS as some unheralded masterpiece that changed cinema.  All the references and the style of the movie went over most peoples heads and naturally they attacked something they didn't understand.  Riiiiiiiiiight     

• Busty Bluth likes this

#1984 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,741 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:02 AM

The verdict is in on “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice”: The critics say it’s worse than leprosy. In fact, it’s even worse than last year’s “Entourage” (33 percent approval on Rotten Tomatoes against an appalling 29 percent for “BvS”).

Let’s step back a bit. “Batman v Superman” is not that bad. In fact, though flawed, it’s pretty good. I can prove the film is worthwhile with one word: “the.”

Calling Superman “the Superman,” as the film does in an aside, opens up a whole new dimension for superheroes. “The Superman” — not that friendly neighbor we all felt we knew so well we could casually call him “Superman” — has a complicated relationship with ordinary mortals, such as Batman.

This dimension lends the film a gravity and level of interest that places it at the opposite end of the spectrum from such sophomoric Marvel movies as “The Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Deadpool.” All three feature brainless, low-stakes action that’s as interesting as watching a waiter fall down the stairs while carrying a tray of dishes; juvenile, self-referential jokes that are neither clever nor funny; and an imaginative perspective whose boundaries are marked by other movies and comic books.

At no point do these movies intersect with reality, much less muse about heavy political or philosophical points. These films are about themselves, which gives them a dismally onanistic tone that, along with their wit-free sense of humor, makes them ideally suited for the teen mentality that rules popular culture.

“Batman v Superman” may be pretentious, but it’s far more mature and ambitious than these other films, and it’s even occasionally interesting. A hauntingly painted tableau in which Superman is surrounded by worshippers on Mexico’s Day of the Dead underlines how eerie and alien it would be to have a superbeing among us. Moreover, the film considers the ramifications of superbeings to a depth rarely attempted in the 78-year history of these characters.

Is Batman right to point out that someone who wields ultimate power is likely to turn bad in the end — that if there’s even a 1 percent chance Superman will wander off the right path, he should be stopped now? It’s worth thinking about.

A senator portrayed by Holly Hunter chimes in that Superman is operating “without oversight,” an argument that might appeal to some on its face: Given that lots of collateral damage, including the deaths of innocents, may occur when Superman leaps into action, shouldn’t he get some kind of permission from the people before he does anything?

Yet, when a bomb is ticking, there isn’t time to hold subcommittee hearings, which is what gives the senator a satiric component. She’s a reminder that, even if a god should land among us with purely benevolent intentions, Washington will oppose him because government can never countenance a reduction in its own power. You can defeat General Zod, but you can’t fight City Hall.

On another level, the film considers the perpetually uneasy relationship between the government and religion: Is the First Amendment meant to protect the government from religion, as liberals think, or to protect religion from the government, as conservatives say? It’s not an accident that the film was released on Good Friday, the most solemn day of the Christian calendar. An image of the stricken Superman juxtaposed against crosses places him strongly in a Christian context. The truly great ones, the film suggests, are too often destroyed by mob fears, and mobs in turn are often stoked by elites.

The leftist intellectual Andrew Sullivan (whose website the Dish once ran a piece asking, “Is Superman a fascist?”) appears in the film suggesting the people reject their miraculous benefactor — evidently a joke at Sullivan’s own expense. (In the film, Sullivan says, “Are there any moral constraints on this person? We have international law! On this Earth, every act is a political act.”)

A scene of destruction at the US Capitol is a perfect illustration of how TV and other media platforms fan hysteria and create an image that’s more or less the opposite of the truth: Superman is blamed for something he had nothing to do with simply because he happened to be standing there when it happened. It’s a deft way to work in the idea that leaders (presidents, notably) can reach such a level of prominence that they find themselves vilified for events beyond their control.

I wouldn’t call “Batman v Superman” the most coherent film of the year, but it’s pretty much the opposite of mindless entertainment, and some of the critical complaints sound a lot like, “Thinking makes my head hurt.”

Or maybe I’m wrong. Maybe that’s not it at all. Maybe a wisecracking raccoon and Deadpool’s masturbation jokes are just a lot more interesting.

http://nypost.com/20...or-marvel-fans/

Edited by Mr Terrific, April 12, 2016 - 12:57 PM.

• Majesty and flota like this

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#1985 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,372 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 01:57 PM

BvS being a "smarter" movie than Deadpool does not make it a good movie and certainly not an all time great movie.  If you want to argue that Marvel's formula is sophomoric and meant for mass appeal I won't argue with you.  As a Star Trek fan I can certainly appreciate those criticisms lol.  I don't have a dog in the Marvel vs DC fight.  Your use of hyperbole is where you're losing me dude.  BvS dared to be smarter than it's sophomoric Marvel counterparts therefore it's on par with the Godfather?  

#1986 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,372 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Just because Hannibal was a smarter show than Duck Dynasty doesn't mean it's on par with the West Wing lol.  I was gonna use Gotham instead of Duck Dynasty but I didn't want you to post back a long article about how misunderstood Gotham is and how it's really one of the best shows ever made.

#1987 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,741 posts

Posted April 12, 2016 - 05:49 PM

Just because Hannibal was a smarter show than Duck Dynasty doesn't mean it's on par with the West Wing lol.  I was gonna use Gotham instead of Duck Dynasty but I didn't want you to post back a long article about how misunderstood Gotham is and how it's really one of the best shows ever made.

I've never watched Gotham

#1988 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 3,302 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted April 16, 2016 - 06:12 AM

WB should have replaced snyder, just kept him in control of the universe direction not in direct control of the movies

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#1989 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 16, 2016 - 10:32 AM

BvS being a "smarter" movie than Deadpool does not make it a good movie and certainly not an all time great movie.  If you want to argue that Marvel's formula is sophomoric and meant for mass appeal I won't argue with you.  As a Star Trek fan I can certainly appreciate those criticisms lol.  I don't have a dog in the Marvel vs DC fight.  Your use of hyperbole is where you're losing me dude.  BvS dared to be smarter than it's sophomoric Marvel counterparts therefore it's on par with the Godfather?  

we get it, you don't like BvS lol. it's all opinion.. wasn't a horrible movie, wasn't a goat movie.

• Majesty likes this

ap1.png

#1990 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 484 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 18, 2016 - 10:10 PM

I gave it a solid 7 out of 10. The problem i had with it was the first half of the film. It felt like if they made standalone batman movie and man of steel 2 and just trimmed and put those 2 films together, while at the same time cutting out important scenes from each film.

(Potential spoiler)

It felt rushed and everything was going too fast between the dream scenes, superman and lois, and lois doing the interview in that foreign country and jimmy olson getting shot in the head. Everything felt crammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Majesty likes this

#1991 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Finally watched it. No desire to see it again. I'd consider this a 5 or 6/10. Disappointed.

#1992 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,741 posts

Posted May 06, 2016 - 01:58 PM

• Majesty likes this

#1993 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,449 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted May 08, 2016 - 09:38 AM

Watched it last night, don't think it's as bad as it's been labeled.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  • Majesty likes this

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#1994 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,741 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 03:00 PM

Edited by Mr Terrific, June 02, 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#1995 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,916 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted June 02, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Why is there always the killing the parents scene in every batman flick?Can't we skip the origins, waste of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • bigfetz likes this

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#1996 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:18 PM

Ultimate Edition Trailer 

Next time Terrio does a script and Snyder does the visuals... DON'T ASK THEM TO CUT 45 MINS OF IT AWAY!! JUST LET THEM RELEASE IT INTO THEATRE'S THAT WAY! 

• Mr Terrific likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,794 posts

Posted June 03, 2016 - 08:53 AM

Rated R? Wow. Beyond awesome!
  • Majesty likes this

yo.

#1998 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,741 posts

Posted June 29, 2016 - 12:02 PM

tumblr_o9hrtxjHXa1uorz8zo1_250.gif

#1999 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 6,177 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Anyone watch the Ultimate edition? Any difference between the original?

9QBrl.gif

#2000 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 29, 2016 - 01:44 PM

Anyone watch the Ultimate edition? Any difference between the original?

More explaining, Luthor's plan is more fleshed out, Clark gets a greater vaster opinion on Batman by spending time in Gotham as Clark Kent.  The opening sequence is longer, more fleshed out, Superman has more scenes, Clark shows his personality much more and you are allowed a stronger connection. Lois investigation and reporter skills are more fleshed out and shown as well. 

More fleshed out, and complete. 

Was very obvious that this was Terrio's vision and there's a lot that happens in it that you would be pissed at WB for cutting out.  I loved BvS, but THIS version is far superior.  They cost themselves $200+ million by editing Snyder and Terrio's vision.   

Also the prison scene between Batman and Lex Luthor has SUCH an Easter Egg ending they cut from the original film it will make fans have a mark out moment.  

Edited by Majesty, June 29, 2016 - 01:45 PM.

• ツ   likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)