Official NCAA Football 2013 Thread

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#321 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:56 AM

I've been following recruiting a lot more than I should this year lol, it's too interesting. It seems as if UCLA has a shot at bringing a couple 5 stars out if the SEC. Which is the #1 reciever and the #1 linebacker. But, they're still unable to recruit the elite talent in the state and SC should be walking away with three 5 stars.

#322 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 28, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yeh recruiting is fun

Pau Gasol is GONE

#323 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Yeh recruiting is fun

How do you feel about Alabama's class in comparison of recent years?

#324 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 10:50 PM

How do you feel about Alabama's class in comparison of recent years?

It's business as usual really since we have the top class thus far according to Scout, Rivals, and ESPN.

We look to have a big time QB coming in with David Cornwell, not many RB commits but it's not like we need any, I like the size of the WR we got coming over from Louisiana, Cameron Sims, got some beef coming in to keep the lines fresh on both sides of the ball, including 5-Star DaShawn Hand, some linebackers, some safeties, 5-Star corner. It's all about their development.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#325 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Another 5 Star cornerback commits to Alabama: Marlon Humphrey. 

That gives us two 5 star cornerbacks in this class thus far. 

According to Scout, Tony Brown is the #2 ranked cornerback and Marlon Humphrey is the #4 ranked cornerback.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#326 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:36 PM

Another 5 Star cornerback commits to Alabama: Marlon Humphrey.

That gives us two 5 star cornerbacks in this class thus far.

According to Scout, Tony Brown is the #2 ranked cornerback and Marlon Humphrey is the #4 ranked cornerback.

I like Marlon Humphrey better than Brown at corner, longer and more fluid hips. Can't go wrong with those 2 though. I think anywhere else in the country, Brown would be slot at Safety.

Also, Dashon Hand is a monster. He's going to be a stud and might even push for early playing time. Same thing with Jackson at T, still bummed you guys stoled him from UCLA. I noticed Alabama grabs a lot of JC guys though?

Edited by Icker, January 29, 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#327 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Yeh, after this season's debacle, we need some help at the corner position. Not likely, but I hope one (or both) of these guys can come right in and start for us at corner. 

This is what Scout has to say about Brown and Humphreys:

Brown...

Brown plays safety, but is a more natural fit to play cornerback. He is in the mold of an Eric Berry, who can just about do everything in the defensive backfield. He has the size and physique of an elite college player and has already developed a strong work ethic off the field. Additionally, he is a nationally rated track talent and a bonafide speedster posting 4.34 forty-yard dash time to go along with a 60-meter hurdle time of 7.76. - Powers

Humphrey...

Humphrey has a rare combination of size and skills at the cornerback position. He has a great understanding of the game, he can press at the line of scrimmage, he can play off the ball, and he can make plays on the ball. He is a physical player who can tackle and he is very instinctive. He has loose hips and he can cover a lot of ground quickly. He can still improve his overall footwork including his back pedal - Chad Simmons

I'm excited about Hand as well but we're really gonna have to shift gears a bit defensively to properly utilize him. That past philosophy of "We don't have to sack the QB" needs to be scrapped. More four down linemen so we can pressure the QB because you can't leave these corners on an island especially against these hurry-up offenses. The defensive line should be REALLY good next season.

We have two other JC commits. Pettway is a returning player after he and a few others got in trouble for robbing that kid on campus iirc.

Leon Brown (OT) is a JC from last year.

Deion Belue (CB) is a JC from the year before.

etc etc etc. A few here and there every year or so. 

Jackson is big dude

1266753.jpg

Edited by Windu, January 29, 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#328 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:14 PM

I want to know how you get hooked up scouting the nations best prospects, lol. That's my dream job, I can talk football all day.

I didn't know Alabama's defense was so conservative. A real testament to the talent and coaching you guys have. It really is a waste not to use your athletes to rush the passer though. I can't believe i never noticed this smh. I still think Brown is better suited at safety, especially with these spread offense sets. The big 6'2 smash mouth safeties are the thing of the past in today's college football.

#329 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I want to know how you get hooked up scouting the nations best prospects, lol. That's my dream job, I can talk football all day.

I didn't know Alabama's defense was so conservative. A real testament to the talent and coaching you guys have. It really is a waste not to use your athletes to rush the passer though. I can't believe i never noticed this smh. I still think Brown is better suited at safety, especially with these spread offense sets. The big 6'2 smash mouth safeties are the thing of the past in today's college football.

I imagine they're like field reporters or something. Going to high school games and watching these kids play and then analyzing and writing about 'em. I'd love to do something involving football but I have no idea where/how to start.

Saban and Smart run that 34 defense and the only time we really get pressure is when we blitz LBs and CBs and even Safeties. They recruit the big linemen up front for run stuffing as opposed to the usually smaller edge rushers. Truthfully there's nothing wrong with it (it's been very successful for Saban) and I know I said "scrapped" but the philosophy needs to be tweaked more than anything. 

Edited by Windu, January 29, 2014 - 09:59 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 43,794 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:22 PM

Dan Patrick gives some fun interviews.

6:20 onward, AJ & Katherine:

yo.

#331 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:56 AM

So apparently, Auburn and Alabama's coaching staff had a dance battle at a recruit's grandfather birthday party...LOL. I would pay to see that.

http://www.al.com/sp...es_take_to.html

Edited by Icker, February 02, 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#332 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:57 AM

We have seven 5 star recruits!

Pau Gasol is GONE

#333 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:19 AM

^^shocked Evans signed with you guys. Guess they won the dance battle.

#334 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:32 AM

I thought he was a lock for Auburn! 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#335 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Sarkisian closing strong on NSD. Getting Adoree Jackson is huge for USC.

Last year of recruiting sanctions, can't wait to see us bring in a full class next year.

Fight On!

• 43,794 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Last year of recruiting sanctions, can't wait to see us bring in a full class next year.

Fight On!

STILL!? My goodness.

yo.

#337 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 05, 2014 - 02:59 PM

STILL!? My goodness.

Yeah this was the final recruiting class under sanctions.  SC gets to take a full class next season so things can finally get back to normal with the Trojans. 

#338 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:21 PM

My other team, Miami, didn't do so bad either.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#339 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,043 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 07:59 AM

I thought he was a lock for Auburn!

Yaaa family pressure in the south is nuts. I still think he should of ended up at UCLA though lol.

• 43,794 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 12:39 AM

Jameis Winston Confirms He Plans on Staying at FSU Two More Years

He'll sure be one moron if he gets a major injury. He already is to some extent taking that risk.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users