Short week. Short Intro. Congo Cash, baby. Let’s get into it…
Monday, March 2, 2009
- According to a source of the New York Post, the Lakers, Kings, and Thunder all made plays on Nate Robinson at the deadline.
- TV Sports Daily had a fantastic sit-down with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Among the talking points, Andrew Bynum and the skyhook: “He doesn’t shoot the skyhook because he thinks that he doesn’t have the grace and the fluidity that I have. That’s okay he can shoot it, it doesn’t matter how it looks, the only thing that matters is does it go in the hoop.”
- Bryon Russell has reached out to several teams, including the Lakers, about the possibility of a comeback. Russell averaged four points per game over 72 games for the Lakers in the 03-04 season.
- After back-to-back Player of the Week recognition, Pau Gasol was named Western Conference Player of the Month. Gasol averaged 20.9 points on .586 shooting and 10.9 rebounds.
- Jason Riley talks hair in the latest installment of Out of Bounds. …And yes, Walter Herrmann made the list.
- David Brickley and G-Small are back with Episode #27 of Voice of the Nation. The boys talk losing streak, bench woes, Sasha’s misfortune, and much more.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
- Reports Tuesday had the Lakers “in the running” for free agent Joe Smith. Smith has since signed with Cleveland.
- The Grizzlies came to town Tuesday and the Gasol vs. Gasol match-up made the perfect setting for Noche Latina. Despite a solid effort from the Grizz’ starting-five, it wouldn’t be enough to issue Los Lakers their first three-game losing streak of the season. Kobe posted 31, Pau added 13, and Sasha came strong off the bench with 11.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
- The OC Reg published a great story on the history and background of DJ Mbenga.
- Phil Jackson on staying quiet in the free agent market: “We like what we’ve got,” Jackson said. “We don’t want to change the chemistry. We’ve got such chemistry on this team. We can use a big guy, but we anticipate Andrew (Bynum) is going to be back and give us some help in the last month of the season.”
- March 30th has been mapped out by the media as Andrew Bynum’s supposed return date.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
- The latest FB&G post goes deep into the math of the NBA.
- Drew Gooden said the Lakers contacted him prior to the Spurs signing: “I got calls from (the Lakers) trying to get me. It was a game of chess probably. (The Lakers) probably knew San Antonio was the team they had to get past in the West.”
- NBA.com: The Los Angeles Lakers today assigned Sun Yue to the team’s NBA Development League affiliate Los Angeles D-Fenders. Sun is the 28th assignment of the 2008-09 season and the first from the Lakers to the D-Fenders this season.
Friday, March 6, 2009
- Episode #28 of Voice of the Nation dropped Friday. The boys open the show with a Puddle of Mudd song. Reason enough to listen.
- The Lakers closed out the playing week with a 20-point smackdown on Minnesota. The win gave the Lakers their 50th of the season–the first team to do so this season. DJ Mbenga stole the show in the fourth quarter: 10 Points, five blocks, four rebounds, 4-5 from the field, and 2-2 from the line. CONGO CASH.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
- Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe on the Celtics’ chances in the playoffs: “It’s going to be hard (to repeat) and quite frankly I don’t think they are going to do it. I think Lebron will get back to the Finals at the very least. But ultimately I think it’s the Lakers year.”
Here’s a look at the coming week of Lakers Basketball (big-time roadie, people)…
Monday (3/9) – Lakers [50-12] @ Portland [39-23; WC 7th place]
Wednesday (3/11) – Lakers [50-12] @ Houston [40-23; WC 5th place]
Thursday (3/12) – Lakers [50-12] @ San Antonio [41-20; WC 2nd place]