Fresh off one of the biggest weeks we could possibly imagine, there was a sneaking suspicion a letdown was in sight.
The Lakers managed to take down Oklahoma City in a game that was a little too close for comfort, but a win is a win in the NBA. They then traveled to Utah on just about as tough of a back-to-back as they’ll see all season, losing by four for their 10th loss. Yes, 10th loss of the season.
Here’s the All-Star abbreviated week in review:
Monday, February 9, 2009
- Jason Riley kicked the week off with a terrific installment of Out of Bounds, hitting on all things perfect road trip.
- Pau Gasol was named Western Conference Player of the Week two weeks after Andrew Bynum received the same honors. This prompts the question: When was the last time two centers from the same team did this in the same season?
- It was revealed Monday that Vladimir Radmanovic suggested a potential trade out of Los Angeles.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
- New arrival, Adam Morrison arrived at the Lakers’ practice facility to find the timeless photo of him crying following the 2006 Sweet 16 taped to his locker. Welcome to LA, Morrison.
- Kobe Bryant became the youngest player to reach 23,000 points in the Lakers’ 105-98 win over the Thunder. Kobe scored 34 and Pau added 22 and 14 to combat Kevin Durant’s 31.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
- Huge news for Lamar Odom fans. Before Wednesday’s game, Lamar alluded to taking less money to stay a Laker, saying “Less is still a lot. I’ve been blessed. Basketball has given me everything I wanted, and I’m far from greedy. And this is where I want to be, so I don’t see why not.”
- The Jazz snapped the Lakers’ seven-game win streak, issuing them their 10th loss of the season. Kobe scored 37 and Lamar continued his three-game streak of one-upping his season-high for rebounds, posting 19 and 19.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
- Andrew Bynum began riding a stationary bike Thursday to begin his rehabilitation period. Expected return time is still 8-12 weeks.
- Sports Illustrated polled 190 players with the question: “Who would you want to take the last shot?” Kobe Bryant won in a landslide with 76% of the vote.
- Voice of the Nation Episode #23 dropped Friday. David and G talk Andrew Bynum, defense, LO, Adam Morrison, and All-Star game.
Here’s a look at the upcoming week of Lakers Basketball…
Tuesday (2/17) – Atlanta @ Lakers
Wednesday (2/18) – Lakers @ Golden State