Hoopsworld: Some random weekend thoughts on the Los Angeles Lakers (50-12):
– The Lakers are this season’s first 50-win team.
– Through 62 games, the Lakers have won 80.6% of their games. Even if they limp badly to the finish line and take just 10 of the final 20, they’d end the season with 60 wins. To put that in perspective, the San Antonio Spurs would have to go 20-2 to end the season with the same record as the Lakers.
– The Lakers play 10 of their next 13 on the road. The toughest games include all three this week starting on Monday in Portland (where the Trail Blazers always seem to give the Lakers problems). They’ll follow that with a trip to Texas on back-to-back nights against the Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs.
– Starting on the 21st of March, LA will hit the road for seven straight including two sets of back-to-backs. They’ll primarily facing Eastern Conference bubble teams fighting for a playoff berth. Some stops include the Chicago, Detroit Pistons, New Jersey, Atlanta Hawks, Charlottes and Milwaukee.
– All told they have 20 games left – eight are against Western Conference playoff teams and 12 are on the road.