L.A. Times: The Lakers rolled and lurched through another awkward day, but it became clear by the end of it that Kobe Bryant was still with them, with the future bringing whatever it may.
A bizarre few days, complete with Bryant’s minor media boycott and a handful of mysteriously skipped practices, concluded almost as unpredictably as reporters jockeyed for position near Bryant’s glistening Bentley in the players’ parking lot outside the team’s El Segundo training facility.
The verdict: He still hasn’t practiced since Saturday, even though his coach says he is OK, and he is still stung by owner Jerry Buss’ comments last week that shattered a code of secrecy between boss and Employee No. 1.
Bryant broke his silence Tuesday with 98 seconds’ worth of insight, acknowledging he was taken aback by Buss’ comments, but saying he would “strap it up” and play for the Lakers, assuming he was on their roster for the season opener on Oct. 30.
At the core of his frustration was that Buss spoke so publicly after they had agreed to keep their inner dealings to themselves after Bryant’s initial trade demand in late May.
Buss said last week he “would certainly listen” to trade offers for the nine-time All-Star. He also divulged details of the conversation he had with Bryant in Barcelona in June, revealing he made a passionate, and lengthy, plea to Bryant, only to have it rejected.