#1 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:03 PM

What achievements would you like to see kobe attain before he retires. I mean individual cause obviously rings are better than 60 point 10 board 10 dime games etc.

I want
- DPOY but i think thats too unrealistic so a 150 steal and 100 block (mainly 100 block) season. He is a mad shot blocked but just does not do it as much as he should
- more triple doubles he never gets them and he should even cp3 gets them and hes a midget.
- average 6 dimes per season
- nba finals mvp. kinda will come with it if we win tho NBA would defs give it to him I couldn't see pau getting it

anything else

obviously I want realistic comments.

Edited by Franchise, January 08, 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#2 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:14 PM

None (except NBA Finals MVP). Just bling. DPOY would be the only individual award and perhaps another MVP, but I don't think that will happen because you will see CP3, LeBron, D-Wade and possibly Dwight Howard and Deron Williams sharing the MVPs into the foreseeable future. I'd love to see the Lakers win more than one championship and see Trevor Ariza make First Team All-Defense. The way he's playing this year, frankly he should get some consideration already.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 08, 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#3 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:16 PM

RINGS

#4 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:17 PM

Finals MVP - Is at the top of his individual accomplishments im sure.

DPOY - Kobe could win DPOY but sadly now days its more so a given for a big man to get it based mainly on their BPG. If a player has 2.5 - 3BPG they usually have won DPOY the past few years.

Oh and i want kobe to go for 100+ and destroy wilts record Haha! But that ain't happening.

#5 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:17 PM

Speaking of Kobe, here's a little something I wrote on another forum today in response to some Kobe Hatred:

There is no question that Kobe Bryant made some big missteps along the way from the time he was a naive teenager until his eventual maturation that we are witnessing now. He was distant, aloof and until recently didn't understand the meaning of friendship. How could he? I'm not making excuses for that, but he was raised in Italy, went to a private high school in the suburbs of Philly and was coddled the entire time with his incredible God-given talents. Considering his similar abilities on the basketball court, he obviously followed Michael Jordan's career closely and at some point early in his career probably decided that he wanted to be the greatest player of all time by imitating and hopefully passing MJ someday. God forbid. Fortunately, while he still sets lofty goals for himself, he has grown up. He constantly praises the other greats of the game (both past and present), feels honored to be considered in their company, and has become both humbled and a true ambassador of the game. I am sure that LeBron, CP3, D-Wade and others would agree with that assessment.

However, there are some who choose to cling to his missteps and even go a step further to mischaracterize them and make assumptions about certain things that they really don't know anything about. First of all, nothing has driven Kobe more than winning championships. He was more than Shaq's "Robin." Arguably, they formed the greatest 1-2 punch in the history of the game and people forget how great Kobe was on those championship teams. There is no way the Lakers win 3 championships without him those years. Then came Colorado. It was bad enough that he committed adultery, but worse if he actually committed rape. However, no one will never know whether or not that was true and you can't make an assumption one way or the other about it. He was remorseful and has done everything possible to repair his image. The reception he received on the world stage in Beijing and the finishing touches he did in the Gold Medal game should be plenty for anyone who has ever hated him to now give him the pass he earned.

Then there was the Summer of '07. I was as upset as anyone when he badmouthed Andrew Bynum and especially Dr. Buss and the Lakers management. But let's not forget what triggered that outburst. It was an untrue comment made from a Lakers "insider" whereby Kobe was accused of telling Dr. Buss "either Shaq goes or I go." During the entire aftermath of the whole world blaming Kobe on Shaq's departure, he kept a cool head even though he knew it was a decision made by Dr. Buss that he had nothing to do with. Even Shaq to this day agrees with that. But certain people will never accept the truth as being the truth because they have another agenda. In any event, apologies were made, Mitch Kupchak finally got active and now we have the product we get to enjoy today. Don Nelson recently said that Kobe is not only the best player in the league, but the best leader in the league, too.

Finally, there were the rebuilding years apres Shaq. The Rudy T year was awful. Everyone was confused and Kobe was frustrated. Phil returned and Kobe should have won the MVP that year. 2006-07 was so marred with injuries and mediocrity that even the great Michael Jordan couldn't have saved that season. Then there was 2007-08. Kobe won the MVP and took a team that wasn't given a shot before the season started to the NBA Finals. He has been there 5 times in the last 9 years.

No, he's not Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson. His career isn't over either. But the bashing he gets over being selfish or all about Kobe is unfair. He's a competitor at the highest possible level and expects others to work as hard he he does. Like MJ. The same MJ who womanized and gambled and quit basketball for 2 years to pursue his dream of playing professional baseball. The same MJ who selfishly made a comeback with the Wizards for himself. The same perfect Michael Jeffrey Jordan who many idolize. That MJ. Like Kobe, the imperfect MJ.

There's my take on the good and bad of Kobe Bryant. Oh yes, his shot selection from time to time has something to be desired and he doesn't always get it right in terms of whether he should take over games or rely on his teammates. He's far from perfect, but all the "experts" think he's the best there is right now. That Kobe. Like MJ, the imperfect Kobe.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 08, 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#6 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:21 PM

I want an MVP while averaging 23 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds. More well rounded numbers, less scoring. Get Bynum and Pau involved more, so that he doesn't get tripled in the 4th quarter, when we need him the most (like the NOH game).
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#7 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:31 PM

I want an MVP while averaging 23 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds. More well rounded numbers, less scoring. Get Bynum and Pau involved more, so that he doesn't get tripled in the 4th quarter, when we need him the most (like the NOH game).

yeah fair call. we don't need his high scoring games anymore well not at home for sure.

#8 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:36 PM

What do you guys consider most important stat in the boxscore? This is what I think:

Points > Off. Rebound > Def. Rebound > Steal > Block > Assist > Personal Foul > Turnover

Kobe might win some more MVPs and hopefully Finals MVP. DPOY might be stretching it but who knows because he's still a great defender.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#9 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:38 PM

[font="Tahoma"][color="#ff8c00"][b]What do you guys consider most important stat in the boxscore? This is what I think:

Points > Off. Rebound > Def. Rebound > Steal > Block > Assist > Personal Foul > Turnover

points > rebounds > assists > steals > blocks > turnovers > personal fouls

#10 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted January 08, 2009 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 08, 2009 - 06:21 PM

it would be very hard for him to get a ton of triple doubles, our offense doesnt call for it, its a passing/moving/spacing offense rather than having one dude hold the ball and control the offense (like wade, cp3, lebron)

i would like for him to get a finals mvp, everything else is very hard for him to do especially DPOY, from what i know there has never been a guard that has averaged 3 blocks per game, 3 steals, and 10+ rebounds while holding their opponent to under 30% shooting for a season
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#12 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 06:21 PM

points > rebounds > assists > steals > blocks > turnovers > personal fouls

Turnover > Personal Fouls really? I always thought well at least a personal foul can have the potential to prevent someone from scoring while a turnover will give up a possession.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#13 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:08 PM

Good thread! Of course for me, just look to my handle!

Edited by Mo Rings, January 08, 2009 - 08:29 PM.

#14 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2009 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

I want to see him win 1-2 more championships first.

I believe he can get the DPOY when this team excells and he doesn't have to do much offensively three years down the line or something like that.

#15 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 09:48 PM

Turnover > Personal Fouls really? I always thought well at least a personal foul can have the potential to prevent someone from scoring while a turnover will give up a possession.

The lower your turnovers are, the better you're off, in my opinion. Some people are there just for fouling other players, but if they actually don't turn it over, you're at least doing something good.

#16 xplayforrealx

xplayforrealx

Rookie

• 350 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Sasha Vujacic

Posted January 08, 2009 - 10:34 PM

Nothing. Just as many championships he can bring back to L.A.
Mike Breen: Walton can tip it. Bryant with the save.
Hubie Brown: Oh you gotta get a shot here
Mike Breen: Final Seconds.. Bryant for the win, BANG!

Your signature violates forum guidelines.

#17 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 10:39 PM

The lower your turnovers are, the better you're off, in my opinion. Some people are there just for fouling other players, but if they actually don't turn it over, you're at least doing something good.

Wait, did you list from best to worst, or worst to best?

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,853 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 09, 2009 - 01:10 AM

1) 3 more rings (more is fine though)

2) NBA Finals MVP (only given to someone on the winning team anyway)

#19 Daddy4MVP

Daddy4MVP

Rookie

• 353 posts
  • Fan Since:Always
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza 4 MVP

Posted January 09, 2009 - 02:35 PM

1) 3 more rings (more is fine though)

2) NBA Finals MVP (only given to someone on the winning team anyway)

Didn't Jerry West win a Finals MVP on the losing team?
Posted Image

#20 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif

Posted January 09, 2009 - 04:19 PM

Didn't Jerry West win a Finals MVP on the losing team?

Yes.. That's because Jerry West played that well in the series i believe.
Although. If there is a standout player on the team that won, it still technically should go to that man i believe.

Plus if i was Jerry West, i wouldn't exactly want a Finals MVP trophy sticking around my cabinet, when i lost the finals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users