#1 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:06 AM

http://www.nba.com/2...0709/index.html

Few things about it stuck out to me:

Gordon's game brings to mind the best aspects of other "undersized" guards, who did nothing but overwhelm opponents. Think Ben Gordon's stroke, Allen Iverson's quickness, Rodney Stuckey's strength and Travis Best's defense.

"I think he's just [done] a great job defensively every single night with who we put him on," Dunleavy said. "He's been terrific defensively. That's very unusual, very rare for rookies.

Gordon's teammate Marcus Camby just wants the league's referees to learn the rook's name so he can start getting to the line more often.
"Hopefully as we go on through this season he can start getting that respect and have it carry over year after year because he's going to be in the league a long time," Camby said.

Even if Gordon has to wait to get calls from officials, that move by Pistons coach Michael Curry to put Prince on Gordon was the highest level of respect a player can get. When you draw the opposing team's best stopper, you know you've arrived.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this one's on his rankings, which I thought was really cool:

Like Mayo tried and failed to do before him this year, Gordon gets the chance to become the first rookie since Allen Iverson in 1996-97 to score 30-plus points in three straight games when the Clippers play in San Antonio on Thursday.

He has a chance to do that tonight!! Let's go for 3 30 point games in a row EJ!! And about those referees not knowing his name, I took highlights from the Pistons game (tuesday's game wasn't even on tv so I couldn't get highlights from it). I took all the highlights with the stupid no calls and I'm gona make a compilation soon. I'm gona record this game too, and get some clips. The kid gets no love from the refs, some of the no calls are laughable. Then again, he's a rook.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#2 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, he barely got any calls during that Piston game. He's a really talented player, can do a little bit of everything, nice range, strong when attacking the basket, plays good defense. He's got a very good future in the league. ;)

#3 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:15 AM

He coulda had 40 last game easy.. He had 31 at the end of the 3rd quarter and he was running point.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:16 AM

if he averages 20 + the rest of the way and wins some games, he might end up winning the ROY

he was very impressive in the game against Detroit. Stuckey, AI and Prince just couldn't stay in front of him. He has a pretty strong upper body too and knows how to use it to protect the ball.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:28 AM

Poor guy got screwed at the end of the Dallas game, he drove in on Dirk on a fast break. Dirk actually hit his arm on the layup to stop the fast break and the easy score, and they credit Dirk with a block and don't call anything. LOL.

Watch the game tonight at 5:30 guys :) Hopefully he'll get 3 in a row 30+! I'll find out what channel it's on in a little bit.

EDIT: It's on FSN.

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 08, 2009 - 11:29 AM.

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:33 AM

EDIT: It's on FSN.

Damn, I was actually planning on watching. <_<

#7 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 11:49 AM

Damn, I was actually planning on watching. <_<

You don't have FSN?

I'll try finding an online stream for you, I'll PM it.

Where's my bud FIDO!!

As I remember, Eric Gordon was his favorite rookie going into this year [sarcasm] :o

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 12:07 PM

You don't have FSN?

I'll try finding an online stream for you, I'll PM it.

Where's my bud FIDO!!

As I remember, Eric Gordon was his favorite rookie going into this year [sarcasm] :o

Thanks for the link, and I've always liked Eric Gordon as a player. I saw highlights of him at Indiana before the draft and thought he had a really nice stroke, very nice range. Thought he was just a pure shooter like a Stephen Curry or something, just not as good. Then, the Clippers drafted him and I was worried for a second b/c there were still players on the board that I thought would have been better for them. Thankfully, I was wrong, and he's finally showing the league what he can do; a little bit of everything. Great draft choice for the Clips. :)

I'm going to actually go out of my way to watch a few Clipper games every now and then, first time in a few years. :lol:

#9 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:39 PM

I'm here Insanity.

Still not impressed.

You're talking about a kid that's getting huge minutes and tons of possessions while the rest of the team is injured. If he does in the context of a game while the team has more weapons than just him on the court, I'll tend to be more impressed.

Right now, he's playing well and taking advantage of the minutes given, but in the big picture the team is still losing and that's what matters most.

And "finally" getting respect. he's a rookie. Do this over the course of 8 or 10 seasons (like I said with a healthy team and other options on the court), play some hard defense for that same span and make a traditionally losing team into a viable NBA franchise and I'll be impressed.

Right now he's doing what a lot of other players can do (OJ Mayo for one instance).

#10 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted January 08, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Yeah but fido, where these other rookies have some respectable help - the Clippers roster is all injured and he is the MAIN AND ONLY scoring option. He is absolutely doing a phenominal job scoring on the best defenders. The Clippers offense is running through him and he's doing a good job. I have been watching all the Clipps games - it's become a bad habit I picked up - damnit insanity - and I think the kid is for real.

One thing I love about him the most is he is scoring on some solid defenders.

For once, the Clippers have someone to be proud about who they drafted and are going to keep... (I hope they keep anyway).

#11 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm here Insanity.

Still not impressed.

You're talking about a kid that's getting huge minutes and tons of possessions while the rest of the team is injured. If he does in the context of a game while the team has more weapons than just him on the court, I'll tend to be more impressed.

Right now, he's playing well and taking advantage of the minutes given, but in the big picture the team is still losing and that's what matters most.

And "finally" getting respect. he's a rookie. Do this over the course of 8 or 10 seasons (like I said with a healthy team and other options on the court), play some hard defense for that same span and make a traditionally losing team into a viable NBA franchise and I'll be impressed.

Right now he's doing what a lot of other players can do (OJ Mayo for one instance).

You're talking about not having good players around, and losing, yet you mention Mayo lol.

It doesn't matter, Gordon is doing 2 things that really SHOULD impress you no matter who is on his team. Injured or not.

1. PLAYING GOOD DEFENSE. It doesn't matter who the other guys on the team are when you're locking down your man, and playing extraordinary defense for your age/rookie year of NBA.

2. Scoring on big time guys. Do you realize every game they're putting their best defenders on Gordon? At the Pistons game they put Tayshaun Prince on him the whole second half. Didn't matter.

Oh and btw, here's the link for all his season game stats.. He's been pretty consistent for a rookie. http://www.nba.com/p...game_stats.html

Do you realize his productivity started when RANDOLPH came (because Mobley left) on November 24, Gordon scored 24 that first night against Chris Paul, AND he got injured in the first quarter btw.

If you can score with a lineup that consists of Baron Davis, Al Thornton, and Zach Randolph in the starting 5 (all guys who want the ball), which he did for the first 17 games then that to me proves he can score. (BD, AT, and ZR were all in the starting lineup when ZR came on November 24, until ZR got injured on December 30 at Sacramento)

So is that not enough personnel for you? Weren't you the one saying those are all "me first" guys? Yet in those 17 games Gordon has averaged 14.2 ppg, and he didn't even start all those games.

Just so you know, the last 5 he's averaged 25.8 (!) I don't care if you're playing with D-Leaguers.. That's impressive, especially for a 20 year old. Regardless of who's on your team, the competition playing against you is the same.

The last 7 he's averaged 22.8 (!)

All this while playing dynamite defense.

Thanks for your time reading all this lol. Gordon should be our second option on offense when Randolph comes back, that's what the plan is. He's even gona be ahead of Baron.

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 08, 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#12 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 02:14 PM

Like Mayo tried and failed to do before him this year, Gordon gets the chance to become the first rookie since Allen Iverson in 1996-97 to score 30-plus points in three straight games when the Clippers play in San Antonio on Thursday.

If he scores 30 against San Antonio tonight then I think he gets the "for real" stamp.

#13 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 08, 2009 - 03:43 PM

I said it before, give the kid some minutes... I mean, earlier in the season, he is playing like 3 min., 5 min., etc... Even Kobe would look like a scrub...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:29 PM

the clippers are the one team in the league who can compile loads and loads of talent and still be picking in the lottery annually
Posted Image

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:35 PM

You're talking about not having good players around, and losing, yet you mention Mayo lol.

It doesn't matter, Gordon is doing 2 things that really SHOULD impress you no matter who is on his team. Injured or not.

1. PLAYING GOOD DEFENSE. It doesn't matter who the other guys on the team are when you're locking down your man, and playing extraordinary defense for your age/rookie year of NBA.

2. Scoring on big time guys. Do you realize every game they're putting their best defenders on Gordon? At the Pistons game they put Tayshaun Prince on him the whole second half. Didn't matter.

Oh and btw, here's the link for all his season game stats.. He's been pretty consistent for a rookie. http://www.nba.com/p...game_stats.html

Do you realize his productivity started when RANDOLPH came (because Mobley left) on November 24, Gordon scored 24 that first night against Chris Paul, AND he got injured in the first quarter btw.

If you can score with a lineup that consists of Baron Davis, Al Thornton, and Zach Randolph in the starting 5 (all guys who want the ball), which he did for the first 17 games then that to me proves he can score. (BD, AT, and ZR were all in the starting lineup when ZR came on November 24, until ZR got injured on December 30 at Sacramento)

So is that not enough personnel for you? Weren't you the one saying those are all "me first" guys? Yet in those 17 games Gordon has averaged 14.2 ppg, and he didn't even start all those games.

Just so you know, the last 5 he's averaged 25.8 (!) I don't care if you're playing with D-Leaguers.. That's impressive, especially for a 20 year old. Regardless of who's on your team, the competition playing against you is the same.

The last 7 he's averaged 22.8 (!)

All this while playing dynamite defense.

Thanks for your time reading all this lol. Gordon should be our second option on offense when Randolph comes back, that's what the plan is. He's even gona be ahead of Baron.

what does any of this matter when the clippers will be picking in the lottery again this year and probably the next year and every subsequent year after that

it amazes me that a team that has had lottery picks almost every year of its LA existence can only manage 2 playoff appearences

i think its hilarious because year after year they compile all this talent only to compile more talent year after year and not make any progress and therefore get more talent and continue to make no progress

the clippers are like the detroit lions of the NBA

even the hawks historically do better than the clips

and the bobcats and thunder have excuses being relatively new in the bobcats case and rebuilding in the thunder case

not being mean or anything but i just have no clue how the clips continue to be the staple of NBA mediocrity with them picking top 14 every year and being in LA so you'd think they'd be able to attract some free agents
Posted Image

#16 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:49 PM

2.0 - in their defense, NO ONE IN THE ENTIRE NBA has come close to the injuries the Clippers have... not close.

#17 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 04:51 PM

what does any of this matter when the clippers will be picking in the lottery again this year and probably the next year and every subsequent year after that

it amazes me that a team that has had lottery picks almost every year of its LA existence can only manage 2 playoff appearences

i think its hilarious because year after year they compile all this talent only to compile more talent year after year and not make any progress and therefore get more talent and continue to make no progress

the clippers are like the detroit lions of the NBA

even the hawks historically do better than the clips

and the bobcats and thunder have excuses being relatively new in the bobcats case and rebuilding in the thunder case

not being mean or anything but i just have no clue how the clips continue to be the staple of NBA mediocrity with them picking top 14 every year and being in LA so you'd think they'd be able to attract some free agents

This is an Eric Gordon thread not the "I hate Clippers" thread. If you want to make one of those I don't mind, many people do, just make a new one in NBA talk. Honest, I don't mind, it's your opinion. At the end of the day this is my team. Failure of a franchise or not, the captain of the ship sinks with it.

Edited by TheCalmInsanity, January 08, 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:07 PM

Nothing's changed they're still all "me first" guys. Points per game for one rookie don't suddenly change the hides of Davis, Davis and Randolph. Because a rookie has 4 or 5 good games, it doesn't mean that the mentality of the team or that player's skill level has taken some massive upturn.

The bottom line is that despite his decent play at the moment (which is all individually stat driven, again, not the goal of the sport) the Clippers are still losing and remain one of the worst teams in the league. not to mention one of the worst Clipper teams in the last 15 years.

What I said is that Mayo puts the same number up as Gordon. Its not like Gordon is something special, he's doing what almost every young NBA guy with a shot can do when they're the main option on offense and the team could care less about their win/loss record - scoring.

Scoring alone while your team continues to slide into the pits of the NBA has never, doesn't now and will never impress me - whatsoever. I wasn't impressed with Kobe doing it, not with MJ when he did early in Chicago and I'm certainly not wowed by it with Gordon.

Being a "star" effective player has more to do with raising the level of your team play than it does raising the level of your free agent stock (something I'm sure Gordon will be exercising once the time comes).

He's scoring on other team's "best' defenders because that's how you play a team that has no other options. You let the one guy score a ton and challenge the others to beat you. It was done to the Lakers before Pau and its done to every team around the league that has one option offensively.

If you make Gordon your second option, then your putting Baron Davis and Al Thornton down to 3 or 4, depending on the night? This team (and those players) are not mature enough to understand the team first mentality and let their stats go by the wayside. Thornton may down the road, but baron has proven that if he doesn't get the ball and get highlighted in the offense or the box score, tantrums (often in the form of snowballing injuries) are soon to follow.

The Clippers now have a kid that can score, so do a lot of other teams. I give you that he's scoring more than I thought he could, but unless its done over a longer span of time than 1 month I remain - unimpressed.

The real thing you should be wondering is by the time he puts these numbers up with other options around him, this team will be totally different. More than likely though Gordon will be sporting the jersey of another, more successful team that cares about the team concept more than singing any name player they recognize in the hopes of burying the memory of the one true superstar they had, but blew it with (Brand). Or a team that cares more about random box score blow-ups.

Gordon's doing alright, but "finally' getting his due, no - he's a rookie - you have to earn that due. 4 or 5 games of big scoring doesn't earn squat in this league - ask Kobe, Magic, Larry or MJ, they'll all agree.

#19 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:16 PM

^You have to look at his efficiency though. Since being put into the starting lineup, he's averaging 17 points on about 12 shots. Very impressive efficiency.

This is what we expected from him at his peak, is to be a scorer first. His assist/rebound numbers are awful considering the minutes he gets, but he's going to be an awesome scorer in the future.

But as for ROY standings, I still put OJ, Rose, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez above him. OJ's a more dynamic scorer. Rose is a great combo guard who has awesome court vision. Marc Gasol provides scoring, rebounding, shot blocking. Lopez has been an excellent rebounder and shot blocker, and has potential for a post game.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#20 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

• 785 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 05:48 PM

Nothing's changed they're still all "me first" guys. Points per game for one rookie don't suddenly change the hides of Davis, Davis and Randolph. Because a rookie has 4 or 5 good games, it doesn't mean that the mentality of the team or that player's skill level has taken some massive upturn.

The bottom line is that despite his decent play at the moment (which is all individually stat driven, again, not the goal of the sport) the Clippers are still losing and remain one of the worst teams in the league. not to mention one of the worst Clipper teams in the last 15 years.

What I said is that Mayo puts the same number up as Gordon. Its not like Gordon is something special, he's doing what almost every young NBA guy with a shot can do when they're the main option on offense and the team could care less about their win/loss record - scoring.

Scoring alone while your team continues to slide into the pits of the NBA has never, doesn't now and will never impress me - whatsoever. I wasn't impressed with Kobe doing it, not with MJ when he did early in Chicago and I'm certainly not wowed by it with Gordon.

Being a "star" effective player has more to do with raising the level of your team play than it does raising the level of your free agent stock (something I'm sure Gordon will be exercising once the time comes).

He's scoring on other team's "best' defenders because that's how you play a team that has no other options. You let the one guy score a ton and challenge the others to beat you. It was done to the Lakers before Pau and its done to every team around the league that has one option offensively.

If you make Gordon your second option, then your putting Baron Davis and Al Thornton down to 3 or 4, depending on the night? This team (and those players) are not mature enough to understand the team first mentality and let their stats go by the wayside. Thornton may down the road, but baron has proven that if he doesn't get the ball and get highlighted in the offense or the box score, tantrums (often in the form of snowballing injuries) are soon to follow.

The Clippers now have a kid that can score, so do a lot of other teams. I give you that he's scoring more than I thought he could, but unless its done over a longer span of time than 1 month I remain - unimpressed.

The real thing you should be wondering is by the time he puts these numbers up with other options around him, this team will be totally different. More than likely though Gordon will be sporting the jersey of another, more successful team that cares about the team concept more than singing any name player they recognize in the hopes of burying the memory of the one true superstar they had, but blew it with (Brand). Or a team that cares more about random box score blow-ups.

Gordon's doing alright, but "finally' getting his due, no - he's a rookie - you have to earn that due. 4 or 5 games of big scoring doesn't earn squat in this league - ask Kobe, Magic, Larry or MJ, they'll all agree.

I'm just saying it's impressive he's carrying the team at this age.

And he hasn't just been doing it in the last 5 games. He's been this consistent for 21 games now, with maybe 1 or 2 bad games. And actually one of them was because he got 52 minutes from the night before, on a back to back.

Another thing man, Clippers DID NOT mess up with Elton Brand. They gave Elton Brand what he wanted - 75 million and Baron Davis - And even my sources tell me that Faulk was the one that made Brand reject the offer and go against his words (1 because he wanted more money- you gota remember that agents run off commission- and 2 because he hates the Clippers). Clippers didn't want to take a chance on a guy who was injured for the whole season with a big injury like that, and rightfully so.

Brand just got Maurice Cheeks fired, showed 76er's flaws in that they have no outside shooting and can't play a slow game, and completely bombed all his numbers from his career. I'm glad we didn't take a chance on him. On a different note, without Brand, 76ers have returned to their run and gun WINNING ways. Hence, Brand is on the trading block, but quietly so.

Either way I understand your arguments. But Gordon has been playing dynamite defense man, and to be honest even if he wasn't scoring, just the defense alone would impress me about this rookie. But he's taking it to the hole strong, taking wise shots, and even passing it around. I give him props and maybe you should too... But I can't make you do that. All I can do is convey the facts and help you make your decision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users