#1 mamba818

mamba818

Rookie

• 131 posts
  • Name:Kevin Moradi
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2009 - 03:18 AM

I don't know why but i feel like phil doesn't want his players to play their best defense against weaker teams.

Maybe he save it for big games. He has some sort of plan for our team i dunno why but i feel like he is saving something for the playoffs.

#2 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted January 08, 2009 - 03:45 AM

Look at Boston since Christmas, they have allowed 92 (to the highest scoring team in the NBA), 99 (to the second highest scoring team in NBA), 89(20th highest team who averages 96.7 a game), 91(15th highest team who averages 97.5 a game) and 100 (4th highest team) all in losses. In all of the losses since Christmas, Celtics have stopped opponents within 5 points-10 points of their normal scoring night. Except for one game, which went into Overtime. Celtics are proving that Defense doesn't win championships, but unity does. They were one unit last year, now they are like a dysfunctional family

Edited by Base, January 08, 2009 - 03:46 AM.

#3 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 08, 2009 - 10:20 AM

A couple of points. First, defense absolutely does win championships. It always has and always does in every team sport. In baseball, good pitching beats good hitting. In football, a great defense only needs an offense that takes care of the ball. In the NBA, the Celtics' defense last year was the best in basketball. Look at the Spurs, Pistons ('04 and Bad boys), Bulls, and even our 2000-02 Lakers. I absolutely agree that unity is the key, but that starts at the defensive end of the floor. The Hornets game the other night was a prime example and Joel and Stu repeatedly talked about that. Second, I agree with Mamba regarding the Lakers seeming laziness on D against the weaker teams. Last night's game was (sort of) a prime example, except that Don Nelson's teams will always score a bunch of points because they have so many possessions. But the Lakers clamped down only when they needed to in the fourth quarter and seemingly toyed with those guys. Frankly, I think they're already bored with the regular season and, while they are having fun, can't get to the playoffs soon enough. Hopefully we'll be 100% healthy when we do get there.

#4 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:05 PM

^ also I think that a team that shoots 3s well, will have you in scramble mode, especially when the Lakers double team so much. I think the C's double a lot too, but they are MUCH better at tempo control. Basically what I am saying is that The C's have a better Defense than us, but not that much better
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#5 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:50 PM

theres no "save it for big games" plan
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#6 intense

intense

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Leif
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:56 PM

I don't know why but i feel like phil doesn't want his players to play their best defense against weaker teams.

Maybe he save it for big games. He has some sort of plan for our team i dunno why but i feel like he is saving something for the playoffs.

Your stupid if you think that.

#7 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 09, 2009 - 05:59 PM

when have the LAKERS ever had the best D in the league, i dont think it has to be the best, just good enough to know that we can play it when its needed, like the Heat or the Lakers of Shaq
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users