• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 tru'tildeath

tru'tildeath

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fav. Laker:chick hearn

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:24 AM

I've always thought sasha was pretty damn good on defense. i think he's smart with what he gets into.

#22 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:39 AM

Pretty much. If Ariza converts on a few three's it's a different story.

Also, we allowed them to control the tempo. Big surprise considering how much we've been controlling it. Not a bad loss considering the unusual stuff we did tonight. Redemption tomorrow.

#23 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted January 07, 2009 - 01:52 AM

And also this being one of the most horrendous reffed games i've seen.

All biased/homerism aside, but it's true.

#24 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:20 AM

The Hornets played well. But I feel like the Lakers killed themselves. We can talk about how great the Hornets played on "defense". But we had a BUNCH of wide open looks and missed. We got three point happy and the Hornets simply settled for the inside game and killed us. Pau got limited touches. No one attacked the basket.

The Lakers just went cold. Thats the bottom line. Move onto the next game and beat the Warriors.

BTW:

James Posey still annoys the F out of me.

and

I respect the skills of CP3, but he is a little punk when he tries to be tough. When Fisher got the technical, Chris Paul was telling the ref to give Fish the T. Other times, he was running his mouth. He is now on my players that annoy me list.

#25 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:27 AM

He forgot to mention that Fisher and Gasol are pathetic on defense.

Pau pathetic on defense? David West was hot, first time he's bested Pau. Petulance is not attractive in a Laker fan.

Edited by Scott P, January 07, 2009 - 09:28 AM.

#26 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:42 AM

Pau pathetic on defense? David West was hot, first time he's bested Pau. Petulance is not attractive in a Laker fan.

The game meant a lot to the Hornets from a psychological standpoint, but really it meant nothing to the Lakers. Pau had his worst game in a long time, Buzz Kill lived up to his name, LO went down, Fisher's minutes are catching up to him, and CP3 and David West played as well as they are capable of playing. They are an annoying team to watch mainly because CP3 has the ball in his hands 95% of the time and he seemingly gets every call. But we'll beat them in 5 in the playoffs. Let's hope Lamar is OK and that we go up to Oakland and take care of business. The Hornets will have their hands full in Utah tonight.

#27 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:54 AM

Per 48 minutes, Gasol allows over 20 PPG and 13 RPG. He gives us 23 PPG and 10 RPG per 48. He really isn't helping much when he's allowing what he's producing, is he?

If you want a comparison, Kobe is producing 36 PPG in 48 minutes, while he's allowing 21 PPG. Big difference.

Lack of petulance is what lost us the NBA Finals. We settled for what we had, and we got dropkicked for it. Go figure.

#28 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:12 AM

Then pass the ball in better locations so they can hit the shots. I'm sick of hearing this excuse. We have a great team and I'm still hearing this excuse? Look at Lebron. He has offensive scrubs, and is still able to drop over 10 dimes on any given night.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#29 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:16 AM

Then pass the ball in better locations so they can hit the shots. I'm sick of hearing this excuse. We have a great team and I'm still hearing this excuse? Look at Lebron. He has offensive scrubs, and is still able to drop over 10 dimes on any given night.

I'm not sure how many better locations there were on the floor last night. Our guys missed some pretty wide-open shots, both close and far from the rim. The only problem was, guys like Ariza were camping out by the three, instead of cutting to the rim, and that's why he missed all of those threes late in the game.

And all Fisher does is launch from downtown.

Our defense cost us the game, ultimately, but the shot selection was murder, only because our guys tend to stand around 30 feet from the rim, just because that's the only way they get open. They don't realize that teams actually GIVE that to them.

#30 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure how many better locations there were on the floor last night. Our guys missed some pretty wide-open shots, both close and far from the rim. The only problem was, guys like Ariza were camping out by the three, instead of cutting to the rim, and that's why he missed all of those threes late in the game.

And all Fisher does is launch from downtown.

Our defense cost us the game, ultimately, but the shot selection was murder, only because our guys tend to stand around 30 feet from the rim, just because that's the only way they get open. They don't realize that teams actually GIVE that to them.

Then it's Kobe's job as captain to communicate with Ariza for what he wants him to do. Kobe is the general of the floor. Ariza is an offensive pawn.

As for Fisher, he's shooting well over 40% for 3. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't. His job is to spread the floor. We know he can't hit a layup. But him opening up the floor is a blessing for all including Pau and Kobe.

As for defense, I agree. It sucks. Bynum needs to cut this foul trouble crap out and be the presence we paid him to be.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#31 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:21 AM

lol come on now. They isoed West with Paul ALL NIGHT and he had no answer

Edited by MDI, January 07, 2009 - 10:21 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#32 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:32 AM

Then it's Kobe's job as captain to communicate with Ariza for what he wants him to do. Kobe is the general of the floor. Ariza is an offensive pawn.

As for Fisher, he's shooting well over 40% for 3. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't. His job is to spread the floor. We know he can't hit a layup. But him opening up the floor is a blessing for all including Pau and Kobe.

As for defense, I agree. It sucks. Bynum needs to cut this foul trouble crap out and be the presence we paid him to be.

You can't always turn an average offensive player into a solid, productive one.

And it was three-point attempts that cost us the game in the 4th, if we're talking offense.

And Bynum does have problems. So does most of the team, sadly. It needs fixed, or we're toast in the playoffs.

#33 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 10:34 AM

lakerfool, whenever Kobe tried taking it into the basket, they trapped him in the paint and his passes were to open shooters outside and they kept missing.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#34 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 07, 2009 - 11:14 AM

what chandler shoulda said was CP3 and West played out of their f'n minds...THAT's the reason they won
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 11:40 AM

drops 10 dimes because his players hit open shots

offensive scrubs do you know an one player on that team

first off maurice williams averaged 16ppg last year and is doing basically the same thing this year. then you have delonte west who is a knock down shooter and wally sczerbiak who is a sniper. then you have big Z who can not only knock down the mid range game with consistency but is a force down low. then you have boobie gibson who is an elite sniper in the NBA.

lebron gets 7apg because he drives to the basket an kicks it out to wide open 3 point shooters because the defense collapses on him and his players hit their shots.

last night kobe could have had 15 assists in the fourth quarter alone if his teammates hit any of their shots. kobe hit a couple cutters who butchered layups thats 2 assists and about 300 times he hit guys with passes to the chest wide open on the 3 point line and they kept missing. all a player can ask is to be wide open kobe was doing that but last night the players were butchering it. noone showed up last night.
Posted Image

#36 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:24 PM

Per 48 minutes, Gasol allows over 20 PPG and 13 RPG. He gives us 23 PPG and 10 RPG per 48. He really isn't helping much when he's allowing what he's producing, is he?

If you want a comparison, Kobe is producing 36 PPG in 48 minutes, while he's allowing 21 PPG. Big difference.

Lack of petulance is what lost us the NBA Finals. We settled for what we had, and we got dropkicked for it. Go figure.

So let me get this straight. Your claim, based on your "statistical analysis", is that Pau Gasol hurts us as much as he helps us, and that petulance is a quality to aspire to. Hmmm. Whom should I believe, you or my lying eyes?

lol come on now. They isoed West with Paul ALL NIGHT and he had no answer

In the game I watched, Pau had a hand in West's face all night and he simply made the shots. It happens.

#37 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:29 PM

So let me get this straight. Your claim, based on your "statistical analysis", is that Pau Gasol hurts us as much as he helps us, and that petulance is a quality to aspire to. Hmmm. Whom should I believe, you or my lying eyes?

In the game I watched, Pau had a hand in West's face all night and he simply made the shots. It happens.

well then he shoulve changed his strategy then if he keeps knocking down shots over your outstretched arms...stick on his hip and make him put the ball on the floor. Pau gave him the same look all night and they were poorly contested might I add

Edited by MDI, January 07, 2009 - 12:30 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#38 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:31 PM

well then he shoulve changed his strategy then if he keeps knocking down shots over your outstretched arms...stick on his hip and make him put the ball on the floor. Pau gave him the same look all night and they were poorly contested might I add

Inconceivable that is was just West's night and he couldn't be stopped? It happens. Look at Kobe in the 3rd quarter.

#39 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:31 PM

If we showed patience and waited for Bynum's return, we wouldn't have traded for Gasol, and we wouldn't have been in the NBA Finals.

And we wouldn't have the best record in the NBA today.

But I know where you're going with this, especially after those last two sentences I posted above, so I'll stop you right now.

The one clear and consistent thing Gasol does for us is draw attention away from Kobe. He demands attention. Therefore, it puts another offensive threat on the floor, and makes things a little easier for Bryant.

Steve Nash? He does the same, minus the fact that he also runs the offense and sets up his teammates. Nash's defense is atrocious.

It's a fact that Gasol puts up just a basket more than he allows. It's also a fact that Fisher is a chucker at the worst possible times, and he doesn't play defense, either. I can go look up how many points he allows, and you'd be amazed (or not, depending on if you pay attention to that stuff).

We sure did have patience, when we went through the second half of last season, and the playoffs, knowing that our defense wouldn't hold up. Look where it got us.

We don't need to trade Gasol. We need to make a deal for a starting point that can play defense, and a backup four that can contribute on a consistent basis and one that doesn't rely on 18-23 footers all the time, one that can finish at the rim. We do that, and our impatience will pay off, as it did with Boston when their patience ran out two years ago.

#40 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 12:33 PM

Inconceivable that is was just West's night and he couldn't be stopped? It happens. Look at Kobe in the 3rd quarter.

It's David West, not David Robinson or Jerry West. It's not THAT hard to cool him off or send him to the bench in foul trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users