One shot away

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 01:07 PM

Wrote this on M2 and copied it to here. Hopefully you guys remember...

I just finished watching this game on tv.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m6V1-UraQAs
http://sports.espn.g...ameId=230513024
Lakers at Spurs, 2003 WCF, Game 5 tied 2-2. Go to the 10min mark on that video til the end to see one of the most impactful shots in NBA history... and it was a missed shot.

The defending champions... 3-peat champions Lakers were down 25 to the Spurs. Lakers came back from 16 down in game 4, they are just as dangerous tonight. Kobe is on, destroying the Spurs at will in the 4th qtr. Even Slava is hot. Lakers come within 2. Final shot time, Kobe gets the ball in the corner behind the 3 line. Of course he's gonna shoot. He pumps, gets Bruce Bowen in the air, and passes to a wide open Robert Horry. Big Shot Bob. Countless clutch moments, one of the most clutch role players in history if not the most. The shot rattles around and pops out. Horry is now 0-15 from 3 in the series. Game over.

Spurs go up 3-2, and go on to win the title. They head for their own dynasty.

If Horry had made the shot like he has in the past, a wide open 3 to win the game, the Lakers would instead be up 3-2. They would have gone on to beat the Spurs, and easily dispose of the same Nets they swept the year before. They would have been the 2nd team ever to win 4 titles in a row. The already strong Lakers dynasty would have been stronger. The heartbreak would not be there, they would not need to recruit 2 old HoFers to try to get back to that title level, the winning might not have prevented the Kobe/Shaq situation, but it could have, and it would have delayed it.

This I am 100% sure of, and I know many of you are, Lakers fans or not.

Well I've said my piece. What other single shots have such a great magnitudes? Robert Horry can surely be brought up again with that 2002 shot.

It's Lakers Talk, but I'd be down to hear shots from any team/player in history.

#2 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2009 - 01:45 PM

Man that was a heartbreaker. Horry went like 2 for 38 from 3 point land in those playoffs and he was like 0 for 20 in the San Antonio series. But up or down in that series, we should've taken care of business at home in game 6 but we didn't do that. We were down 3-2 to the Kings the year before and we came home and won the game to force a game 7 but we couldn't get the job done that time. San Antonio was the better team that series and they deserved to move on.

Edited by MDI, January 05, 2009 - 01:46 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#3 ogarte24

ogarte24

Rookie

• 113 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 06, 2009 - 12:45 PM

One rebound also would have turned things around for the Lakers.

Just imagine had the Lakers corralled the loosed ball after a missed Steve Nash trey in Game 6 of the 2006 first round against the Phoenix Suns with less than 10 seconds remaining and the game is on the line. The Lakers led 3-2 in the series during the pivotal contest. Instead, the ball went into the hands of the irrepressible Tim Thomas for a cold-blooded triple that tied the game, and the series.

The Suns went on to crush the Lakers in Game 7. Awwww!

The Clippers? Eh? The Lakers would have trounced 'em. Then the Mavericks? Kobe would have singlehandedly disposed 'em off.

In the Finals, Kobe vs. D-Wade --- a lot of storylines especially highlighted by the disclosed, past disharmony between Shaq and Kobe -- would have been easily the highest-rated Finals game since the Jordan era.

Though I think the Heat would beat the Lakers due to inexperience and Miami's frontline is tougher unlike their raw counterparts: Rookies Turiaf, Bynum, Kwame and injured Mihm.

Edited by ogarte24, January 06, 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#4 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted January 06, 2009 - 12:54 PM

And that's LIFE, ladies and germs. :rolleyes:

#5 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 06, 2009 - 10:40 PM

Nice story; but, it was the Western Conference Semi-Finals, not the WCF.

Doesn't mean that the Lakers wouldn't have won it all had Horry made the shot, but it certainly adds an additional layer to the remaining story that needs to be told, and raises doubt as to whether or not the Lakers would have been able to go on to win the title that year, regardless.

It took them 6 games to knock off Minnesota in the first round.

In regards to history, what really would've been interesting had we won that series, would've been the match-up with Dallas.

I am very confident that we would've beaten them; however, throughout this decade, we have never faced the Mavericks in the play-offs, despite the fact that both teams have made the play-offs all but one year in the "00's".

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#6 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 07, 2009 - 02:38 AM

Nice story; but, it was the Western Conference Semi-Finals, not the WCF.

Doesn't mean that the Lakers wouldn't have won it all had Horry made the shot, but it certainly adds an additional layer to the remaining story that needs to be told, and raises doubt as to whether or not the Lakers would have been able to go on to win the title that year, regardless.

It took them 6 games to knock off Minnesota in the first round.

In regards to history, what really would've been interesting had we won that series, would've been the match-up with Dallas.

I am very confident that we would've beaten them; however, throughout this decade, we have never faced the Mavericks in the play-offs, despite the fact that both teams have made the play-offs all but one year in the "00's".

Wow, I did not even remember that at all. Damn Mavs.

#7 shaodaddy

shaodaddy

Rookie

• 156 posts
  • Fan Since:since moving to US in 91
  • Fav. Laker:magic, kobe, shaq, horry, LO

Posted January 07, 2009 - 08:41 AM

at least lakers had some success. let's be happy about that.

remember, Kings were also one horry's shot away. :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users