77 replies to this topic

#1 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:25 PM

I believe he is easily a top 15 player in the league.

He has the post game. He has the mid range game. He's the best passing big man in the game. IMO definitely a top 15 player in the league.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#2 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:31 PM

in terms of talent yea

in terms of impact? no

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#3 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:43 PM

in terms of talent yea

in terms of impact? no

impact? he single handily made the Lakers a NBA Finals team.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:45 PM

impact? he single handily made the Lakers a NBA Finals team.

there was someone named Kobe on the team lol. Come on Gasol was shooting like 60% from the field here and had open looks all day 5=10 feet from the basket

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:50 PM

there was someone named Kobe on the team lol. Come on Gasol was shooting like 60% from the field here and had open looks all day 5=10 feet from the basket

What did Kobe do before Pau came? We were a terrible team. We were a great team with Drew but with Pau, we destroyed the West in the playoffs.
Posted Image

#6 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 05:00 PM

What did Kobe do before Pau came? We were a terrible team. We were a great team with Drew but with Pau, we destroyed the West in the playoffs.

Yea but that has to with his supporting cast come on Kwame, Smush, Cook, Evans valuable role players? more or like liabilities out there.

You're right we were no. 1 in the west before Pau came aboard and that has to do with addition by subtraction (the 4 liablities I mentioned above out of the team) but importantly guys actually willing to play without any whining or complaining

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#7 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 05:52 PM

LOL!

We were a 1st round and out with only kobe. With Gasol and Kobe, contender. That's no impact? LMAO!!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

#8 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 05:52 PM

Yeah...I would rank Pau in the top 15 in the NBA...top 10 I dunno.
Posted Image

#9 Jeffs

Jeffs

Rookie

• 56 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:10 PM

It's tough to make top-10 lists since there are different positions and roles for all the players involved.

Bryant
James
Wade
Garnett
Howard
Paul
Duncan
Bosh
D. Williams
Roy
Joe Johnson
Granger
Anthony
Pierce
Ming

That's 15 players I'd take over Pau to build my team around. I can also think of a couple of guys that may not be there yet but will be in a few years (Durant, Rose, Mayo). I'd put Pau firmly in the top-20 in the NBA right now, which I think is just fine for a second option.

Edited by Jeffs, January 04, 2009 - 06:11 PM.

Jeffs

#10 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:14 PM

It's tough to make top-10 lists since there are different positions and roles for all the players involved.

Bryant
James
Wade
Garnett
Howard
Paul
Duncan
Bosh - Great scorer, except that he fails to facilitate offense for his teammates
D. Williams
Roy
Joe Johnson
Granger- Great scorer, can't facilitate offense through him. Good defender. Big man more valuable than small forwards.
Anthony - Anthony scores and scores, and again, doesn't make his teammates better.
Pierce
Ming

That's 15 players I'd take over Pau to build my team around. I can also think of a couple of guys that may not be there yet but will be in a few years (Durant, Rose, Mayo). I'd put Pau firmly in the top-20 in the NBA right now, which I think is just fine for a second option.

Those guys are not there yet are irrelevant. We're talking about now.

#11 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:14 PM

But don't top-10/15/20 lists change every season? I say he's top-15 through top-17 because even numbers don't work too well.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#12 Helljumper

Helljumper

76ers GM

• 2,461 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:17 PM

As a Laker, with little pressure playing alongside Kobe, he's a great #2 guy for a team and right now he's playing like a top 15 player. But he's not going to be able to carry a team by himself. With the Grizzlies, as the #1 guy, he was not a top 15 player.
Posted Image

#13 Jeffs

Jeffs

Rookie

• 56 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:17 PM

Those guys are not there yet are irrelevant. We're talking about now.

Ok, I listed 15 better or more valuable players right now. I'm sure if I spent 5 minutes looking through a list of NBA players, I'd find at least a few more. Like I said - top 20.
Jeffs

#14 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Ok, I listed 15 better or more valuable players right now. I'm sure if I spent 5 minutes looking through a list of NBA players, I'd find at least a few more. Like I said - top 20.

Granger, Bosh, and Anthony are in no way better than Gasol. None of those player are able to get their teammates invovled on offense. All great individual talents, but in regards to impact, Gasol's is much better than theirs. Thus Gasol is top 15.

As a Laker, with little pressure playing alongside Kobe, he's a great #2 guy for a team and right now he's playing like a top 15 player. But he's not going to be able to carry a team by himself. With the Grizzlies, as the #1 guy, he was not a top 15 player.

He was definitely a franchise player with the Grizzlies until the injury bug hit him and his team.

LIKE KOBE, his team always went to the 1st round and then got bounced. Don't act like Kobe fared so much better alone, because he didn't.

And to say he doesn't lead a team is ridiculous. Those Spanish internapinoal team led by him is one of the best in the world. They got a silver medal.

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:23 PM

LOL!

We were a 1st round and out with only kobe. With Gasol and Kobe, contender. That's no impact? LMAO!!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

and the sudden spike in his FG% last year wasn't because of Kobe? his J was invisible last year with us. Also Gasol was 0-12 in the playoffs before he came here

Edited by MDI, January 04, 2009 - 06:23 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 Jeffs

Jeffs

Rookie

• 56 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:24 PM

Bosh isn't as good of a playmaker as Gasol for his team, but he's not a black hole like a guy like Randolph or Jefferson. He makes the pass when he needs to. He's also a better scorer, rebounder, AND defender than Pau. I'll take his impact over Pau's every time.

Granger can facilitate the offense. He played point guard in college if you didn't know. He's the closest we have seen to Scottie Pippen since... well, Scottie Pippen. At age 25, he still has plenty of time to evolve as a playmaker as well.

As for Carmelo... well, he may not make teammates better (God I hate that term), but he's a very valuable player nonetheless. He's a top-5 scorer in the league easy. With a playmaker like Billups on the team, the Nuggets have the potential to be a dangerous squad this year. Chauncey may get the credit, but the team goes as 'Melo does.

Other guys I can add to the list after looking at ESPN... Dirk, Amare, Gay, and Martin.

For the record, I am a huge Pau fan. Hope he retires a Laker. He's a fantastic Robin to Kobe's Batman. Great compliment to Kobe on the offensive end and a perfect fit in the triangle. I just don't believe we should overrate him simply because he is a Laker.
Jeffs

#17 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:25 PM

why are you underrating Gasol's teammates in Memphis?

Bobby Jackson is a superb bench player, Mike Miller was a solid contributor before he came to Memphis, Shane Battier is solid, James Posey is the difference maker of 2 different NBA champions. Come on man

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#18 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:25 PM

and the sudden spike in his FG% last year wasn't because of Kobe? his J was invisible last year with us. Also Gasol was 0-12 in the playoffs before he came here

But he's top-15/17 now isn't he?

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#19 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:26 PM

why are you underrating Gasol's teammates in Memphis?

Bobby Jackson is a superb bench player, Mike Miller was a solid contributor before he came to Memphis, Shane Battier is solid, James Posey is the difference maker of 2 different NBA champions. Come on man

Solid solid solid. He didn't have that extra second all-star. Period. Kobe would go 2nd round at most with that type of talent. It's really not that great.

I knew this thread was going to turn into a bash Pau because we want to make Kobe look more heroic thread. :rolleyes:

Edited by lakerfool, January 04, 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#20 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,869 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:28 PM

But he's top-15/17 now isn't he?

15-20 maybe.

Solid solid solid. He didn't have that extra second all-star. Period. I knew this thread was going to turn into a bash Pau because we want to make Kobe look more heroic thread. :rolleyes:

again I'm not bashing Pau infact I gave him credit in my earlier post but you're underrating his supporting cast like crazy. All those guys I mentioned are good at something and they BRING IT every night. If anyone's bashing its you picking on Kobe. All of them do the little things that helps you win games

Edited by MDI, January 04, 2009 - 06:28 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users