• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 15,529 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:50 PM

Andrew Bynum has had one double-double in his last seven games. He had eight points and two rebounds in 25 minutes of the Lakers' 113-100 victory Friday over Utah.

Coach Phil Jackson paused several seconds when asked for his present-day thoughts on the 21-year-old prodigy.

"I asked him the other day how he felt and he said he wasn't totally happy with the way things have been going for him lately," Jackson said. "He thought he had fallen in a rut a little bit. I thought he played well enough against Boston, spirited against Boston. [Friday] night, I thought he . . . had a couple opportunities there that he didn't convert, and then he missed two free throws, and that's like a turnover."

Bynum struggled with his shot to start the season, making only 45.5% of his attempts through eight games.

Then, after a 13-game string in which he averaged 15.4 points and 8.9 rebounds, he hit a stretch where early-game foul trouble threw him out of sync.

Jackson wants him to get better position in the post.

"We talked a little bit about getting the ball deeper and getting a better start," Jackson said. "He's getting the ball a little bit higher than I'd like him to."

Did Jackson's words seem to sink in?

"I can't tell with him," Jackson said. "He doesn't have a lot of emotional response about that. I kind of talk to him occasionally but let him kind of figure out how to do things on his own. He's still a learner. I know this will be a big game for him [tonight] because obviously these two young guys compare themselves to each other."

http://www.latimes.c...0,1898449.story

85146fdf-2f3a-45b0-8e85-9715e75efc22_zps

#2 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Don't worry Phil, I'm disappointed too... You know, after getting paid and all...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#3 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 04:18 PM

it's disappointing to see Andrew struggle but he needs more time. hopefully Drew takes this and motivates himself. Phil's always been known to criticize his players through the media to light a fire under them.

#4 Jeffs

Jeffs

Rookie

• 56 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 06:16 PM

Phil certainly isn't the only one. Even if Bynum is upset that he isn't getting enough touches in the paint, or enough minutes on the floor, that doesn't excuse his lack of rebounding and energy/effort on the defensive end.

There is no excuse for him to ever get 1-5 rebounds in 20+ minutes. EVER. All of these 1, 2, and 3 rebound games are embarrassing. If he wants to argue that he should be a bigger part of the team, then he has to maximize his current opportunities first. Thus far, he has not. He has disappointed Phil, but the person he should really be disappointing is himself.
Jeffs

#5 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted January 06, 2009 - 01:54 PM

Phil certainly isn't the only one. Even if Bynum is upset that he isn't getting enough touches in the paint, or enough minutes on the floor, that doesn't excuse his lack of rebounding and energy/effort on the defensive end.

There is no excuse for him to ever get 1-5 rebounds in 20+ minutes. EVER. All of these 1, 2, and 3 rebound games are embarrassing. If he wants to argue that he should be a bigger part of the team, then he has to maximize his current opportunities first. Thus far, he has not. He has disappointed Phil, but the person he should really be disappointing is himself.

I didn't see anything to suggest Drew saying he wasn't happy with how many touches he was getting. Nothing in the quote provided by the OP suggest he wasn't happy with anything other than his play.

Secondly, there's no "excuse" being employed by Bynum. "Excuses" are reasons given for not doing something or doing something wrong, ********FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING RESPONSIBILITY.*********** Bynum never puts the blame on others, he takes responsibility for his actions.

Last of all, I did not draw the conclusion from that quote that Phil was unhappy with him. To me it sounded like a coach who coaching a young player.

#6 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted January 06, 2009 - 01:57 PM

Phil is always pausing when he speaks. I wouldn't think nothing of it. Bynum is learning a new role. I wouldn't worry about him.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#7 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Although his individual numbers aren't great, his pressence in the middle is a major reason why one Pau Gasol is shooting 50% from the field.

Don't get it twisted Lakers fans.

#8 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:38 PM

Although his individual numbers aren't great, his pressence in the middle is a major reason why one Pau Gasol is shooting 50% from the field.

Don't get it twisted Lakers fans.

Is Bynum the reason Gasol shot 50%+ with the Grizzlies, and shot a career high last year with us?

#9 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted January 06, 2009 - 02:43 PM

Is Bynum the reason Gasol shot 50%+ with the Grizzlies, and shot a career high last year with us?

No, but I bet you he'd tell you this is the most wide open he's been in his career.

He hasn't had to be guarded by the other teams biggest big man.

Perkins would have guarded Drew in the Finals and I guarantee you Pau would have had a much better series.

#10 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted January 06, 2009 - 03:25 PM

No, but I bet you he'd tell you this is the most wide open he's been in his career.

Perkins would have guarded Drew in the Finals and I guarantee you Pau would have had a much better series.

I know, it's just that you stated him shooting 50%. That's too normal of a number for a guy like Pau.

#11 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted January 06, 2009 - 04:12 PM

no hes been more open than before because of kobe not drew

if anything drews been more open because of pau but hasn't been converting
Posted Image

#12 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:20 PM

I am too. Very.

#13 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:21 PM

Bynum who? he Vanished..anyone seen him?
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#14 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted January 06, 2009 - 11:23 PM

Where's the passion? The explosion? The relentlessness? Everything's gone downhill since he got the contract. Damn comfortability! Damn it!

Now I'm not blaming it ALL on the contract, but I definitely think it has some to do with it cuz clearly he is not playing with a chip on his shoulder like he once was out to prove to the Lakers that he was worth every penny of the investment.

#15 GotKobe?

GotKobe?

Rookie

• 35 posts
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC,KAREEM,WORTHY,KOBE,DFISH

Posted January 07, 2009 - 09:23 AM

I feel Drew should come off the bench and earn his way back into the starting line-up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users