Photo

Should Kobe take a pay cut? Would you?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: PAY CUTS (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Kobe?

1. Yay (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

2. Nay (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

Would You?

1. Of course I would. (17 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

2. Hell na, i got kids! (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:03 AM

lol at everyone saying they'd take a paycut. if you were in that situation you wouldn't.

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,226 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:12 AM

lol at everyone saying they'd take a paycut. if you were in that situation you wouldn't.

exactly all these people going

yeah i'd take one for the good of the team

typical blind fan answer.

and then the same people complain about a raise in taxes even though its for the god of the team(economy)

samething people its all for the team till the money starts being pulled from your pocket then its wrong
Posted Image

#23 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:13 AM

no he won't.

He deserves to be paid 25 mil.

Also the cost of doing so would just be losing LO in the offseason but we get to re-sign Ariza for the MLE...unless soemone offers him more :unsure: which i don't see happening

Edited by MDI, January 04, 2009 - 01:13 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#24 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:16 AM

Kobe's endorsement income in 2007 was $16 million. He can take a pay cut, not to that of 10 million, but maybe 2-5 million? Just to sign Ariza.

#25 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:19 AM

Kobe's endorsement income in 2007 was $16 million. He can take a pay cut, not to that of 10 million, but maybe 2-5 million? Just to sign Ariza.

we can still sign ariza to the MLE no matter how much kobe gets paid...we just have to see how much the front office is willing to pay for the luxury tax although buss indicated earlier in the year he doesn't mind opening up his pocket for winning championships

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#26 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:22 AM

we can still sign ariza to the MLE no matter how much kobe gets paid...we just have to see how much the front office is willing to pay for the luxury tax although buss indicated earlier in the year he doesn't mind opening up his pocket for winning championships

Sorry for my ignorance but what does MLE stand for? Mid-Level exception?

Edited by Base, January 04, 2009 - 01:22 AM.

#27 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:24 AM

lol..Mid level Exception...

the way Ariza has been playing he deserves way more than that.

Edited by m4mb4 24, January 04, 2009 - 01:24 AM.

Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#28 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:25 AM

here's a little microanalysis.
a UPS driver with seniority makes about $70,000 a year on the high end... the average cost of a home for someone with that kind of yearly income would be around $500,000. Kobe currently makes about $21,000,000 a year (WITHOUT endorsements). Kobe paid a reported $4,000,000 for his Newport Coast home.

That's a -$430,000 yearly clip for our UPS Driver.
and a +$17,000,000 yearly clip for Kobe.

now, there's no opulent lifestyle adjustment, but that shows the wealth that these guys have MINUS their endorsements. In the end though, UPS guy can't really opt out of his position and shop FEDEX and the USPS for a higher bidder, so Kobe wins. He'll make what he's worth... and again, i'm sure they'll be willing to pay it out... i mean, it is Kobe Bryant..

The 'typical fan' is just jealous... i'm jealous. kobe has no mortgage, no car payments, and a brand that will be profitable long after he's dead.

Edited by SaintNicholasVanExel, January 04, 2009 - 01:31 AM.

#29 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:27 AM

its ok. Thats right...we gave that to sasha this year

lol..Mid level Exception...

the way Ariza has been playing he deserves way more than that.

:shh:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#30 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:40 AM

Of course he should but I wouldn't mind if he didn't. I mean, he does deserve everything he's making. But me? Hell no.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#31 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:46 AM

its ok. Thats right...we gave that to sasha this year

:shh:

The MLE in this case is about 5.5 million. Ariza probably reads this forum and m4mb4 24 messed up our perfect plan.

#32 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,226 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:01 AM

we can pay ariza a luke size deal about 5 years 30 mil
Posted Image

#33 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:03 AM

Hell no

Cake Over Everything
Basketball Reasons...

#34 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:07 AM

we can't offer him more than the mle but if someone else overpays him we're screwed lol. I doubt he'd settle for the MLE if he can earn more elsewhere but we'll see

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#35 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 02:29 AM

it would be nice if Kobe takes a paycut, but i don't think he would. i wouldn't either if i was in his situation.

#36 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 04, 2009 - 10:40 AM

i look at it like this, Kobe makes the Lakers MORE than they pay him, he has said he wants to be a great business man afer his career, with Obama's tax plan Kobe's 21 mil, would look like 10 mil, then with Cali taxes, its down to like 8.5...now Kobe has two kids, a wife and TONS of family(because rich people always have more members of their family). Despite what people think, Kobe's future (i.e. kids, grndkids, etc.) are considerably more important than his NBA acheivements, add to the fact that he HAS won, I think Kobe is going to get paid and justifiably so. Or should Buss' pockets/family continue to grow. My dream would be KOBE taking the MLE to sign a Lebron calibur player but that aint happenin'. Kobe wants close to a billy, so a 150 million dollar contract is just what the doctor ordered, but maybe if he can get a pct% of Laker merchandising. Personally, i hope the black man gets all that he wants/deserves...its our time to get money. Oh by the way, that money he lost during his rape trial...the endorsements plus the amount of forgveness gifts he shelled out to Vanessa is the other reason why a paycut is unlikely in my eyes. But that being said Kobe isnt a greedy individual, and he might take 17-18.5 a year, to keep Ariza
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#37 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 11:33 AM

fans i swear

most of you have no clue but yeah a million here or there doesn,t make a difference if you live like 99% of us do but if you have 5 cars each 100 grand plus a 5 plus million dollar house, most likely a top flight nutritionist and personal trainer, with an expensive bodyguard, a wife who most likely spends enormous amounts of cash on herself and your 2 kids, yearly trips to europe in which you fly 1st class both ways and sleep in the most expensive hotels in europe, wear wallet bursting jewelery and so does your wife and kids, getting older in a bad economy and seeing what has happened yo various athletes due to their lifestyle

coupled with this being his last chance to cash in

he'd be stupid to ask for anything less than being the highest payed basketball player

if you look proportionately to yourselves its like your boss saying can i deduct 20% from your paycheck so i can pay your co worker more even though you are much better at what you do than they are and in fact are the best. its only a couple 1000 dollars right

What I been saying, but your way better with words :D

No homo

Edited by Rainbow Jumper, January 04, 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#38 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:06 PM

First of all, he's no lock to stay. I don't think that the Euro thing will happen, but he's been in the league for 13 years on the same team and if we win the championship this year, he might want a new challenge. I know he has said in the past that he wants to be a Laker for life, but the modern day athlete can be quite fickle and there is no better businessman in the NBA than Kobe Bryant. With LeBron and D-Wade in the East, not to mention the Big 3 on the Chowds, playing for a competitive team in that conference might be the kind of challenge he would welcome. I believe he will opt out, regardless of whether he stays with the Lakers. And if he decides to leave, thank you for 13 exciting years! But please Kobe, pretty please with sugar on top, stay. And if he does stay, it will be for a max extension and he shouldn't settle for a nickel less.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 04, 2009 - 12:08 PM.

#39 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:29 PM

Kobe should not take a paycut.

He's carried this team on his back. Without Kobe, this team would be a mess right now. He should ask for the max, and the Lakers should give it to him and be happy about it.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#40 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:12 PM

ken, i know anything is possible, but KOBE AINT LEAVING THIS TEAM, so no worries. I believe Kobe will judge strictly based on what is around him, for example if he feels LO should stay along with Ariza getting paid, he MIGHT consider a paycut...but if he feels like anybody is replaceable alongas its him and the 2 BIGS, well then, he will be significantly richer
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users