Photo

Should Kobe take a pay cut? Would you?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: PAY CUTS (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Kobe?

1. Yay (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

2. Nay (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

Would You?

1. Of course I would. (17 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

2. Hell na, i got kids! (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 da_chet

da_chet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Fan Since:I played NBA jam on Super Nintendo
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Cobra, KaPau, LO

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:17 PM

I seen another thread with the Laker's Salaries and read that people think Kobe should take a pay cut to re-sign other teammates.

I think Kobe has earned every penny and yeah 1 million here or there wont kill him but put yourself in his shoes.

You make 20 million a year you probably live a certain lifestyle, as you would if you made $8 an hour or $100,000 a year.

If your company asked you to drop your $20/hour to $15/hour to keep another employee would you be ok with it?

And being the best employee, should you listen to a paycut?

Sound off...
Lebron may be as good as Jordan, but he will NEVER be as good as Kobe!!

#2 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:19 PM

he should, to get talent for his team.

would i? of course for the better of my team.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#3 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:28 PM

Yeah he should

Sure I'll be making 22.54696854 mill, but thats money, why the hell would you give away 3 mill?

#4 da_chet

da_chet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:32 PM

with today's economy i would try to get every penny possible...

but it may be different when you're that rich...

#5 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:33 PM

with today's economy i would try to get every penny possible...

but it may be different when you're that rich...

I can tell you if I was KObe what I'll used that extra 3 mill for

#6 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:50 PM

he should, but he wont.

#7 Eternal

Eternal

Waiting For The End

• 1,245 posts

Posted January 03, 2009 - 11:55 PM

I would, but I'm sure if I were in his position there would be other influences that would sway my decision.

I'd always like to have a good team around me, and Kobe would be helping the cause for this, if he took the pay cut.

Edited by Eternal, January 03, 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#8 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:02 AM

I would take a paycut if I was Kobe, but I think Kobe won't take a paycut. Didn't Kobe voted against max contracts/cap in the 90's? :unsure:

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:23 AM

fans i swear

most of you have no clue but yeah a million here or there doesn,t make a difference if you live like 99% of us do but if you have 5 cars each 100 grand plus a 5 plus million dollar house, most likely a top flight nutritionist and personal trainer, with an expensive bodyguard, a wife who most likely spends enormous amounts of cash on herself and your 2 kids, yearly trips to europe in which you fly 1st class both ways and sleep in the most expensive hotels in europe, wear wallet bursting jewelery and so does your wife and kids, getting older in a bad economy and seeing what has happened yo various athletes due to their lifestyle

coupled with this being his last chance to cash in

he'd be stupid to ask for anything less than being the highest payed basketball player

if you look proportionately to yourselves its like your boss saying can i deduct 20% from your paycheck so i can pay your co worker more even though you are much better at what you do than they are and in fact are the best. its only a couple 1000 dollars right
Posted Image

#10 da_chet

da_chet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:27 AM

fans i swear

most of you have no clue but yeah a million here or there doesn,t make a difference if you live like 99% of us do but if you have 5 cars each 100 grand plus a 5 plus million dollar house, most likely a top flight nutritionist and personal trainer, with an expensive bodyguard, a wife who most likely spends enormous amounts of cash on herself and your 2 kids, yearly trips to europe in which you fly 1st class both ways and sleep in the most expensive hotels in europe, wear wallet bursting jewelery and so does your wife and kids, getting older in a bad economy and seeing what has happened yo various athletes due to their lifestyle

he'd be stupid to ask for anything less than being the highest payed basketball player

if you look proportionately to yourselves its like your boss saying can i deduct 20% from your paycheck so i can pay your co worker more even though you are much better at what you do than they are and in fact are the best. its only a couple 1000 dollars right

AMEN

as a fan i would love kobe to make it a lil more financially flexible for the front office but as a person with responsibilty i would support kobe 100% to go for the $ as it is a business.

#11 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:37 AM

i know loyalty is all but ghost in the nba, but after a certain time in with a single team, you'd think players would start taking that into consideration... especially with championship caliber support.

that said, i think the front office will do everything they can to keep kob a laker as long as he wants to be one.

#12 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:42 AM

fans i swear

Taking a $5-10M paycut won't affect him, when he's made over $200M playing basketball and he's going to make another $150M.

He should also show some loyalty to the team who supported him with his rape case and paid for his travel and other expenses.

Why can't Kobe take a paycut when other players in their PRIME took paycuts to build a better team around them?

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:45 AM

i know loyalty is all but ghost in the nba, but after a certain time in with a single team, you'd think players would start taking that into consideration... especially with championship caliber support.

that said, i think the front office will do everything they can to keep kob a laker as long as he wants to be one.

it is a business and if he wants to live his current lifestyle for the rest of his life even after retirement he needs to make as much dough as possible.

if he retires at 38 that is a long time for him and his family to live without a steady income especially with his lifestyle
Posted Image

#14 da_chet

da_chet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:48 AM

very true, but look at it in your own perspective (not a basketball player) but your actual job.

ex.

you work at UPS for 20 years, you are a hard worker and one of the best, company is doing just fine but your CEO doesnt want to pay an extra tax to keep you (a great employee) and a pretty good employee.

you have been loyal by doing your part and even exceeding, you are probably planning on retiring in 5 years, so you may wanna save some money for retirement, but you are a bad guy for not taking a pay cut so your employer doesnt pay an extra luxury tax???

UPS has a great team together they dont wanna lose the pretty good employee to FedEx, but if he's that important i think the company should be willing to pay for it, since THEY get the final PROFITS!!!

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:49 AM

Taking a $5-10M paycut won't affect him, when he's made over $200M playing basketball and he's going to make another $150M.

He should also show some loyalty to the team who supported him with his rape case and paid for his travel and other expenses.

Why can't Kobe take a paycut when other players in their PRIME took paycuts to build a better team around them?

what other players

unless they secretly offer him part ownership with his lifestyle 5 to 10 million is significant
Posted Image

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:53 AM

we are not getting any outside players so its up to buss to keep the inside guys kobe would have to take about a 10 million dollar cut to make any real difference towards the cap.
Posted Image

#17 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

it is a business and if he wants to live his current lifestyle for the rest of his life even after retirement he needs to make as much dough as possible.

if he retires at 38 that is a long time for him and his family to live without a steady income especially with his lifestyle

$5-10M is not going to make a difference in his life. He won't even touch most of his money. Shaq never use a single dollar of his NBA salary.

what other players

unless they secretly offer him part ownership with his lifestyle 5 to 10 million is significant

Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, David Robinson, ect...

David Robison took a big paycut so the Spurs could re-sign Duncan and build a better team.

Tim Duncan took a paycut so the Spurs could build a better team around him and re-sign Manu and Parker.

Why can't Kobe take a paycut? :rolleyes:

#18 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

very true, but look at it in your own perspective (not a basketball player) but your actual job.

ex.

you work at UPS for 20 years, you are a hard worker and one of the best, company is doing just fine but your CEO doesnt want to pay an extra tax to keep you (a great employee) and a pretty good employee.

you have been loyal by doing your part and even exceeding, you are probably planning on retiring in 5 years, so you may wanna save some money for retirement, but you are a bad guy for not taking a pay cut so your employer doesnt pay an extra luxury tax???

UPS has a great team together they dont wanna lose the pretty good employee to FedEx, but if he's that important i think the company should be willing to pay for it, since THEY get the final PROFITS!!!

okay, now you're really messing with me man... hahha. i actually do work at UPS. :lol: :lol:

anyway, very well put. it all depends on the type of lifestyle i'm living. if i'm living a Tim Duncan lifestyle (able to take a paycut because i make an absurd amount of money and dont see the need to outlandishly spend [which IS NOT a knock on Kob]), then it's different. BUT, your point is exactly why I think the Lakers will give him his market value. simple.

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 12:59 AM

$5-10M is not going to make a difference in his life. He won't even touch most of his money. Shaq never use a single dollar of his NBA salary. Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, David Robinson, ect...

David Robison took a big paycut so the Spurs could re-sign Duncan and build a better team.

Tim Duncan took a paycut so the Spurs could build a better team around him and re-sign Manu and Parker.

Why can't Kobe take a paycut? :rolleyes:

kg only took a paycut after he was past his prime and tim duncan and the admiral live very modest lives.

fans always forget its a business first otherwise everybody would take paycuts. why does phil need to make 12 mil a year because thats his market value
Posted Image

#20 da_chet

da_chet

Rookie

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted January 04, 2009 - 01:01 AM

okay, now you're really messing with me man... hahha. i actually do work at UPS. :lol: :lol:

anyway, very well put. it all depends on the type of lifestyle i'm living. if i'm living a Tim Duncan lifestyle (able to take a paycut because i make an absurd amount of money and dont see the need to outlandishly spend [which IS NOT a knock on Kob]), then it's different. BUT, your point is exactly why I think the Lakers will give him his market value. simple.

haha thats funny... agree to disagree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users