#1 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 02, 2009 - 11:53 PM

Hello I am new to these forums. I have been a lakers fan since around 2000 but started caring in 2005 adn really caring after the second phoenix series loss.

Does anyone think AB17 is struggling at the moment. His FT% has decreased since the start of the season when it was around the mid 70's and it is in the 60's now. Tonight was unacceptable at 33.3& but you can have an off night and I accpet that. I am slightly worried over his 2 rebounds also, I know there can be some luck whether the ball comes to you etc but there is no reason for him to grab under 5 boards in 25 minutes. He should have had 7 or 8. In the 2nd half on offense i thought his attemps to score were feeble and his attack was not like it should be with his fade aways. He needs to use his power more and get some mroe dunks. He has also been more foul prone than in his first 15 games. Does anyone agree with me. I know it has only been a few games of this slump and everyone as a few bad games in an 82 game long season. BUt if this guy thinks hes at a max level he needs to be getting at least 12 and 9.

PS Tonight he was good defensivly wit his blocks. That was his good area on the game

#2 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted January 03, 2009 - 12:20 AM

i just think there's 'too much good stuff' on this team. andrew's biggest impact is coming on defense... jst being there, really. he's a true center, he can block shots, and he's long as hell. the expectations were way too high this offseason. i said before the season started that i'd be surprised if he averaged over 10 and 10 with pau in the offense.

#3 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted January 03, 2009 - 12:28 AM

Hello I am new to these forums. I have been a lakers fan since around 2000 but started caring in 2005 adn really caring after the second phoenix series loss.

Does anyone think AB17 is struggling at the moment. His FT% has decreased since the start of the season when it was around the mid 70's and it is in the 60's now. Tonight was unacceptable at 33.3& but you can have an off night and I accpet that. I am slightly worried over his 2 rebounds also, I know there can be some luck whether the ball comes to you etc but there is no reason for him to grab under 5 boards in 25 minutes. He should have had 7 or 8. In the 2nd half on offense i thought his attemps to score were feeble and his attack was not like it should be with his fade aways. He needs to use his power more and get some mroe dunks. He has also been more foul prone than in his first 15 games. Does anyone agree with me. I know it has only been a few games of this slump and everyone as a few bad games in an 82 game long season. BUt if this guy thinks hes at a max level he needs to be getting at least 12 and 9.

PS Tonight he was good defensivly wit his blocks. That was his good area on the game

Concern for AB only now? AB had a handful of games of these sorts of numbers. Why the concern only now? Were doing fine, but I agree that AB needs to step up and go for the rebounds, without drawing the foul. That's the problem with him, he gets into foul trouble and he can't make a difference with the game and he is afraid to jump up for the rebound, afraid he will be called for the foul/

Edited by Base, January 03, 2009 - 12:30 AM.

#4 Franchise

Franchise

Rookie

• 322 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2009 - 01:39 AM

Concern for AB only now? AB had a handful of games of these sorts of numbers. Why the concern only now? Were doing fine, but I agree that AB needs to step up and go for the rebounds, without drawing the foul. That's the problem with him, he gets into foul trouble and he can't make a difference with the game and he is afraid to jump up for the rebound, afraid he will be called for the foul/

no my concern is not only now. his numbers have diminished across the board in the last few games and now I have decided to voice my thoughts that he needs to improve. I know he brings in D for the team but he is way to foul prone to be a serious factor out there. I think he needs to have a chat with Phil and get tings sorted. As a hollinger (don't overly care for the guy but he does have some valid points/opinions) article pointed out before the boston game, when he plays well LA plays well and he is an integral facet of the lakers sucess.

#5 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:45 AM

On the one hand, he's regressed. He doesn't seem to have the hops he had last year and he's also trying to get accustomed to a new role. During the Evolution of Andrew Bynum last year, he was growing into the #2 option role with Kobe. A certain chemistry had developed and the team was rolling when he went down. Now, Pau is clearly the #2 option and Philip wants Bynum to focus on defense, a concept which Andrew probably feels lukewarm about. On the other hand, I think it's easy for us to criticize him, but we're not banging down in the lane with the other trees and he probably has more of an effect at the defensive end than is apparent to the human eye. His length alone keeps players from taking shots and he alters more shots than he gets credit for. I've been critical of him all season and think he might be more effective coming off the bench with LO starting, but I will defer to Phil Jackson on this issue.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 03, 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#6 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 03, 2009 - 08:56 AM

I have to say I am not concerned, Andrew is still learning the game and from what I can see, his "swag aint right yet", but thats the beauty, he is getting better overall. i don't feel like he's regressed as much physically as mentally. He doesn't want to get hurt understandably, and now he doesn't want to get in foul trouble, but he had 3 blocks and I think his biggest asset right now other than defense is making Pau flourish at this new position. When Pau was on Memphis he was a good player, then he came here and looked very good, noew this year he looks great and its Kobe, Derek, Luke and Drew making him look better, I think it affects Drew's numbers a bit, more I think it gives him a bigger potential for defense. i am convinced that Bynum should start.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#7 destiny-dynasty

destiny-dynasty

Rookie

• 368 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 03, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Andrew is the only young player starting, probably because the center position is in such short supply. Plus, Pau can operate better as a PF offensively. But if Drew can't focus on blocks and rebounds as his role demands, LO will probably get the starters role again (if only to motivate and refocus AB again). He's still young, so I'm not worried yet about him, but I too haven't seen that fire I thought I would see (and that he claimed to have at the start of the season) after missing most of last season and the entire playoffs. But maybe this is the month it all starts clicking for him...at least I hope. :dance1:

#8 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 03, 2009 - 09:15 AM

too add to the previous statement, its possible that there will be another line-up adjustment after the 40th game, perhaps ariza starting, or maybe LO, even sasha at the two and Kobe at the three, lets stay tuned
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#9 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:43 AM

It's not uncommon for a young center to be putting up a few dud games. Just look at the big picture. He's averaging 12 pts, 8 reb, 2 assists, 2 blk, 54% shooting for the season. He's doing fine.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#10 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 03, 2009 - 10:51 AM

He has not fully recovered from his injury and thats why he's still struggling. Just like any other young player he lacks focus as well and tends to disappear during long stretches in games. He's doing just fine but I don't think he'll be an all star this year, if thats what many of you expected.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#11 Ethdude

Ethdude

Rookie

• 63 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Fan Since:1991- Jordan almost made me cry that year.

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:12 PM

If Andrew can stay healthy I see no reason for any concern for maybe... another two seasons. No joke. At the beginning of last season I was looking forward to watching Andrew grow and see what he could do, he did more than I thought he could as did the Lakes overall. He's not the only big man this year, he is having to figure out a new flow to offense and what not. Really all you can say about him is some non-physical criticism like "get more fired up!" Which with Jedi Master Jabbar overseeing his training the cool attitude may have rubbed off on him. Point is we are lucky, we have someone who hopefully loves basketball more than anything, has Cap and many many other great people nurturing his talent and we get to watch this guy develop over the next few seasons. I'm hoping he puts on just a little muscle, I want to see more two hands on the ball slams in traffic. No Kwame Brown pump fakes and awful layups. Throw it down big man, throw it down.
The best sports franchise in the world.

#12 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:15 PM

It's hard for him to get in the flow of the offense when he's not even the 1st or 2nd option. He'd mature faster if he was the 1st option, so it would give him more time to get into rhythm.

#13 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,883 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2009 - 01:43 PM

Like Stu always says...

5 years for centers to find their way (outside of rare cases - Shaq, Dwight Howard)

3 years for guards.

Andrew's alright, he's coming off a big injury right when his development was rolling. He has to get that confidence and rhythm back, which he'll do. The best way for him to get it all back is what he's doing right now (or at least last game and against Portland), play strong defense first. The offense will come.

#14 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted January 08, 2009 - 09:59 PM

It's hard for him to get in the flow of the offense when he's not even the 1st or 2nd option. He'd mature faster if he was the 1st option, so it would give him more time to get into rhythm.

It's hard to get into the flow of the offense if you can't get good position in the post. His base is still weak right now but if he got great position, he can score at a higher percentage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users