• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 05, 2008 - 09:00 PM

Most people have heard of what Michael Jordan, aged 45, said several days ago at his basketball camp.

A kid asked:
"Who would win in a ONE on ONE game, you or Kobe?"

MJ replied:
"Kobe would win, because I am older... But in my prime? Not even a contest."
"Let's just say, I have a better chance of stopping him than him stopping me."

At first thought, I thought Jordan was just trying to get the kids excited and motivated by such a confident answer. And more than half the basketball population wouldn't disagree with what he said.

Michael Friggin' Jordan, THE GOAT to most people, is obviously better than Kobe Bryant, right?

Wait a minute... the child asked who would win, ONE on ONE.

Accomplishment-wise, Jordan blows Kobe out of the water. 3 more titles, 4 more MVPs, 1 more DPOY, etc... We're all familiar with the facts that Jordan supporters bring up when we try to compare Kobe with MJ.

But with everything about the NBA team concept aside, who would win in a one-on-one game when each player was in his prime?

Who has the better individual skills to beat the other?

There was a thread like this at CL and I heard a compelling argument on both sides. Personally, I'm torn apart. If they played 10 games, I think each would win 5 times. I think each game would be very close. Each player would be motivated to prove his superiority. The intensity level would be something we've never seen before on a basketball court.

Prime Jordan and Kobe were both the one of the best one-on-one defenders of their time.
Prime Jordan and Kobe were both the most dominating perimeter players of their time.
Prime Jordan and Kobe were the best one-on-one offensive weapons of their time.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Who would win? And why?

Edited by funkychunky, August 05, 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#2 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted August 05, 2008 - 09:07 PM

You don't have to be better to win. All you got to do is outsmart the opponent. I think MJ would probably beat Kobe one on one though considering he can get to the rim better. Kobe could probably win since he has better range than MJ and he can make unbelievable shots that MJ probably couldn't. There's always a chance that whoever misses the first shot will lose if they just keep exchanging baskets with each other. I wouldn't rely on that so MJ would probably win overall unless Kobe was on fire or something. I know they're about the same size too but I always thought MJ was bigger than Kobe so that probably has a lot to do with my decision.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#3 sega

sega

Rookie

• 242 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Tyronn Lue

Posted August 05, 2008 - 09:20 PM

it really depends if Kobe is making those contested jumpers

Michael in prime is faster, stronger, and jumps higher

#4 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:23 PM

it really depends if Kobe is making those contested jumpers

Michael in prime is faster, stronger, and jumps higher

I think Jordan had those natural abilities that made him so unstoppable. I feel that Kobe has done more skill-wise with less to start with.

#5 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:39 PM

Kobe isn't the best defensive player of his era. I wouldn't say Jordan was, either. Those go to Bruce Bowen and Scottie Pippen, if we're discussing perimeter defenders.

In a series of seven one-on-one games, Jordan would win 4-3. Kobe would more than likely settle for jumpers against such a strong defender (I actually like Jordan's defense over Bowen's), and if Kobe was too focused on scoring, he wouldn't pull away with the victory.

Kobe is a better offensive player (more moves, skills offensively), but Jordan is the better defensive player. In fact, it's more about Jordan's IQ on defense. In the end, that will give him the nod in a seven-gamer.

#6 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 05, 2008 - 10:49 PM

^

I guess Pippen and Bowen are better perimeter defenders than Jordan and Kobe. I just said that the latter two are the best because they can lock down any one they want because of their unmatchable will to win.

Anyways, I edited that part :rock:

#7 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,874 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 05, 2008 - 11:02 PM

^

I guess Pippen and Bowen are better perimeter defenders than Jordan and Kobe. I just said that the latter two are the best because they can lock down any one they want because of their unmatchable will to win.

Anyways, I edited that part :rock:

Yeah, I'd really like to know how good Kobe and Jordan would be as defensive players if they didn't have to average 25-30 points a night.

#8 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, I'd really like to know how good Kobe and Jordan would be as defensive players if they didn't have to average 25-30 points a night.

Isn't that what Kobe is doing for Team USA? He's not really scoring a lot but being mostly defensive.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#9 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:04 AM

Isn't that what Kobe is doing for Team USA? He's not really scoring a lot but being mostly defensive.

Yeah. And look how he's shutting down most of the players he guard. And he always defends the best perimeter player of the opposing team. But Kobe's defense would be different in 1v1 because you don't have to fight through screens and run around as much.

#10 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:35 AM

Yeah. And look how he's shutting down most of the players he guard. And he always defends the best perimeter player of the opposing team. But Kobe's defense would be different in 1v1 because you don't have to fight through screens and run around as much.

But I think it's much harder to play defense 1v1 because right when the opponent goes right by you, there's no one else who will be in his way.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#11 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted August 06, 2008 - 01:47 AM

We also have to consider that it's a different era...the 80s to the 2000s, gameplay is a little different I believe....

But....I think I MIGHT go with MJ, but Kobe ain't gonna back down at all......really, this thing is up for consideration....but frankly, I really dun want a winner in this question.

#12 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 02:35 AM

I've learnt that Kobe V Jordan comparisons never really get anywhere. We never really got to see the two in their primes battle against each other, therefore, all talk is not entirely accurate.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#13 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 10:18 AM

I've learnt that Kobe V Jordan comparisons never really get anywhere. We never really got to see the two in their primes battle against each other, therefore, all talk is not entirely accurate.

Precisely, it's really hard to pinpoint comparisons...everything's up in the air. Jordan always is his airness, Kobe always is the mamba/doberman...blah blah blah.

#14 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 11:39 AM

^

Comparing individual skill is definitely difficult because the two played in different eras. Also, rules like hand-checking might give Jordan an advantage because he played almost his entire career with that rule. But I think it's fun if you try to forget about the NBA sense of Jordan and Kobe and try to envision what each would bring to a street game of 1v1.

When someone creates a time machine, people have to match up prime Jordan with prime Kobe. There will be blood...

#15 KGB

KGB

To be the greatest

• 202 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:03 PM

Either can win at any time. There is no set answer. Basically a coin flip.

#16 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted August 06, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Whoever has the ball last...
Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

#17 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 08:49 PM

^

Comparing individual skill is definitely difficult because the two played in different eras. Also, rules like hand-checking might give Jordan an advantage because he played almost his entire career with that rule. But I think it's fun if you try to forget about the NBA sense of Jordan and Kobe and try to envision what each would bring to a street game of 1v1.

When someone creates a time machine, people have to match up prime Jordan with prime Kobe. There will be blood...

Yeap, I mentioned the era difference in the very 1st post I made in this thread, that's the key. Also, we can't compare Wilt CHamberlain with Kobe right? :rock:

#18 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 09:05 PM

OKAY I WAS THERE AT THE CAMP THAT NIGHT.

i recorded that and put it on youtube, espn contacted me about it and is going to use it when they do a piece on who would win one on one kobe or mike.

so if anyone sees that video on espn. LET ME KNOW

#19 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted August 06, 2008 - 09:17 PM

OKAY I WAS THERE AT THE CAMP THAT NIGHT.

i recorded that and put it on youtube, espn contacted me about it and is going to use it when they do a piece on who would win one on one kobe or mike.

so if anyone sees that video on espn. LET ME KNOW

Woah, are they paying you?

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#20 Aonex

Aonex

Rookie

• 99 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Magicman

Posted August 07, 2008 - 06:51 AM

Flip a coin... or better yet, whoever's shot is falling that day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users