#1 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 30, 2008 - 02:15 PM

Here's an article authored by Kevin Ding of the OC Register (my favorite along with Mark Heisler). He has convinced me that we don't need to bring in another guard yet.

http://www.ocregiste...77-point-season

Also, I was thinking about the concept of 96 minutes. Bynum, Gasol and LO essentially divvy up 96 minutes among the 3 of them at the 4-5 positions. What's wrong with Fish, Sasha and Kobe divvying up 96 minutes at the 1-2 positions? Fish's minutes can still be limited and Sasha can really ratchet up his game if he gets 25-32 minutes a game. Do we really need another guard?

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 30, 2008 - 02:16 PM.

#2 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,652 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2008 - 02:30 PM

Sasha is doing pretty well up in the PG position, but it's good to add more depth in PG since we're struggling in that position.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, December 30, 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#3 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 02:45 PM

Sasha is doing pretty well up in the PG position, but it's good to add more depth in PG since we're struggling in that position.

People keep saying that but I totally disagree. The triangle does not require a pro-typical pg. Fisher is perfect for that position and he's a smart, tough defender. Sasha is a much better defender than Farmar (read the Kevin Ding article). The PER bs that people keep posting is just that .. bs. We're 25-5 and we've beaten the best point guard, CP3, handily, twice. Nash - 0 for 2 against us. Rondo - off game. Quick, shoot first pgs like Jameer Nelson or Rafer Alston or Jose Juan Barea will burn anyone. Point guards get run into high picks and the guy they are guarding is usually the quickest player on the opposing team. I love Fish, Farmar will develop, and Sasha needs quality minutes .. lots of them.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 30, 2008 - 02:47 PM.

#4 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Sasha can do well in the PG position. But i don't really think he's all that great for it too. His passing isn't too good for a PG & he can't attack the basket too well.

#5 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 30, 2008 - 04:14 PM

I think his passing is fine for the triangle. His problem is that he is poor at penetrating the lane. But his stroke makes up for that deficiency and we have Kobe, LO and Trevor to slash.

#6 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted December 30, 2008 - 07:43 PM

I like the way Sasha has played at the PG spot the past 2 games. He looked good passing the ball the last game against GS. I agree that his inability to drive to the basket effectively is a problem but he doesn't need to with guys like Ariza, who are known to slash.
Posted Image

#7 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Sasha is a rhythm player, he needs to know he's going to have minutes in order to play well. Farmar's injury has been a blessing for him. I've been wanting a point guard that was long and could shoot, like Harper or Shaw and Sasha seems to fit the bill quite well. Of course it's early yet, we'll have a better picture of what he can do in that role over the course of the next 20 games or so.

#8 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I think we'd want another PG for insurance, Sasha's not the most durable guy in the world, and without him and Farmar we'd be left with Fisher and Yue at guard. Ariza alone can't stop guard penetration, we really suffer in that area with or without Sasha and/or Farmar. However, it's not necessary to get another PG.

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 31, 2008 - 10:37 PM

I like Sasha but I'm not sure he can fill in long-term at PG.

#10 Moos

Moos

Rookie

• 82 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Chamberlain

Posted December 31, 2008 - 10:50 PM

Here's an article authored by Kevin Ding of the OC Register (my favorite along with Mark Heisler). He has convinced me that we don't need to bring in another guard yet.

http://www.ocregiste...77-point-season

Also, I was thinking about the concept of 96 minutes. Bynum, Gasol and LO essentially divvy up 96 minutes among the 3 of them at the 4-5 positions. What's wrong with Fish, Sasha and Kobe divvying up 96 minutes at the 1-2 positions? Fish's minutes can still be limited and Sasha can really ratchet up his game if he gets 25-32 minutes a game. Do we really need another guard?

I like how Sasha has stepped up as of late, he's not a true point guard, but we don't need one in the triangle offense. Sasha makes Luke expandable. I am unsure if the Lakers will make a move for a point guard, but I think a quick, backup guard like Speedy Claxton and or a Ty Lue would be a good thing. We need some quickness on the perimeter (it's unfortunate that Lindsey Hunter is unavailable, he's a good defender and knows the triangle)

I am still in favor of trying to "steal" Kirk Hinrich from the Bulls.

Let me just remind you all of the "heavy" minutes Fish was playing against Memphis and Orlando because the players on the bench were struggling to get the job done (all road games), we still need a backup point guard that can help us defensively...

Sasha has been playing well as of late, good article. happy New Year to all of you.

#11 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 31, 2008 - 10:58 PM

I like Sasha but I'm not sure he can fill in long-term at PG.

I guess the question is: How do you define "long-term?" 6 more weeks, or to the All-Star break, is short term to me, especially if this helps gets Sasha in a groove for the stretch run. Unless there's a real sensible deal out there, it seems logical to leave things alone.

#12 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 31, 2008 - 11:35 PM

i say give sash a chance. if he doesnt live up to it, just have mitch pull another pau and trade him for chris paul or something. no big deal
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users