34 replies to this topic

#21 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,523 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 27, 2008 - 12:49 AM

i wanna see the excuses he comes up with in for the golden state article...i guess he's lucky its saturday, he might have the day off tomorrow

Posted Image

#22 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 05:29 AM

I thought it was funny. I guess the loss for the Celts against the Warriors proves my point - yesterday meant a little more to the Celtics than Mr. Simmon's first thought, eh?

Sorry if my letter came off as an attack on you, since the OP wasn't inflammatory at all. It was the responses that followed (and usually follow every Simmons thread). I just get tired of reading the same b----ing every time he writes something rude toward us, especially since half the time he's right.

Bill is no different to me than if I had a friend who was a die-hard Celtics fan. He's just a friend I've never met who's an amazing writer and incredibly savvy about sports.

#23 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:25 AM

THE only thing that upsets me, is the fact that people say this wasnt a BIG game for the Celtics... the way I see it they have about 8 or so BIG GAMES A YEAR...the games with us, the cavs, the hornets, the rockets, and the MAGIC, so forget everyone trying to downplay the importance of this game.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#24 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted December 27, 2008 - 05:41 PM

Sorry if my letter came off as an attack on you, since the OP wasn't inflammatory at all. It was the responses that followed (and usually follow every Simmons thread). I just get tired of reading the same b----ing every time he writes something rude toward us, especially since half the time he's right.

Bill is no different to me than if I had a friend who was a die-hard Celtics fan. He's just a friend I've never met who's an amazing writer and incredibly savvy about sports.

well thats where the problem lies, you admire his writing whereas, the most of us on this site dont care about his writing and see that hes just offending us as "fans", even if it is just a joke .... what do you expect to see in this thread or site when hes attacking lakers fans, the team , and sometimes the city while and showing his fanboyism to his own team ...sit back and laugh? honestly do you really think hes joking knowing how he hates the lakers so much, also, i can say that lebron is my friend, one ive never met whos an amazing basketball player and money hungry .... but that doesnt really mean hes my friend in reality .... btw im not trying to attack you or anything but im just letting you know whats up, you always get testy when it comes to him .... we are on a blog site for petes sake

Edited by phifedogg76, December 27, 2008 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#25 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted December 27, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Bill Simmons needs to .........
Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 LAL024

LAL024

Rookie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted December 27, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Bill Simmons is the most idiotic and biased sports writer out there. So don't even mind what this retard writes about the Lakers.

#27 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 06:56 PM

you always get testy when it comes to him

I get testy because, as a fellow writer, it annoys me to see people hating on him for stupid reasons.

#28 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted December 27, 2008 - 07:11 PM

I get testy because, as a fellow writer, it annoys me to see people hating on him for stupid reasons.

since you are a writer, i see what you are getting at because you take it more personally and you can relate more to him than us, but you get what im saying too right?
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#29 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I do. Its just hard for me to comprehend because I don't take it as anything more than good-natured jokes and trash talk. Love that stuff.

#30 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 11:57 PM

Yes, I do. Its just hard for me to comprehend because I don't take it as anything more than good-natured jokes and trash talk. Love that stuff.

The people here who cry about him complaining about the refs, are the same people who complain about the refs when the Lakers lose.

#31 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted December 28, 2008 - 02:23 PM

He's such a douchebag - Some calls went the Lakers way and some calls went the Celtics way that game. It's called life!

#32 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted December 28, 2008 - 02:49 PM

By the way... as for that "home cookin" argument:

Kobe 0 free throw attempts

Right... :lol:

I can't remember him attacking the rim. He was in the post most of the game and took mid range jumpers.
Basketball Reasons...

#33 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts

Posted December 28, 2008 - 02:50 PM

Seriously guys...think about it.

If LAL would have lost, how many of you would have said "it's just one game"...?

We won so it's a big deal. For them, they are still up 6-3 going back to last year so I'm not sure they are too worried.

Actually, I think more people would've jumped ship, as opposed to just blowing it off as one game.

There would've been a million threads on who should be dealt, Pau is soft, Kobe is laughing too much to be a good enough leader, etc.
Basketball Reasons...

#34 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts

Posted December 28, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Dear Lakers Nation,

Could we not create an idiotic thread of baseless outrage every time Bill Simmons says or writes something that gets your overly-sensitive panties in a wad.

If we must, how about creating a thread for all this ridiculous nonsense. We could call it the "Official Bill Simmons Made Me Cry and I Have No Sense of Humor or Understanding of What an Opinion Column Is Thread." Then you can all gather there to have a great big circle jerk of self-righteousness and pretend like most of the people on this board aren't every bit as biased as he is (but without the writing talent and hoops knowledge).

I don't think I'm asking too much.

Sincerely,

Guy who understands far too well why newspapers are forced to write for an 8th grade reading level

Took the words right out of my mouth, no homo.

People need to keep in mind that journalists are hired because of their writing ability, not their opinions.
Basketball Reasons...

#35 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,523 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted December 28, 2008 - 04:04 PM

all true, nothing anyone writes on paper should really anger people. especially if said person is paid to do so. he's got a job to keep, and he's paid to make articles that people want read, that insight passionate discussion, his way of doin that is to push a few buttons. i typically find humor in some of the things bill simmons writes, and that's why i read his articles. i'm sure as smart as he is about sports, he knows saying something like "the lakers got ALL the calls" is an exaggeration, but i think he puts that in there because he knows people are going to flip their lids when they read it, send e-mails etc. and that just gives him more material. by being upset, or sending him e-mails, etc...people are just feeding right into what he wants them to do. if he were a laker fan, i would expect nothing less than the same bashing of him on a celtics forum by the majority of the people.

one of the main reason i think the only reason people get irked by him is because most sports writers, whether they're a fan of a particular sports team or not, will generally try their best to keep their personal bias out of articles. not bill though, he all but flaunts it. people just aren't used to seeing that.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users