53 replies to this topic

#41 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Seriously, did anyone actually read the article, or just the title of the thread? Garnette says Bynum made no difference to their defensive assignments.

Their defensive assignment basically:
Perkins guards our Center
Garnette guards our power forward
double team Kobe, force him to take bad shots or get the ball out of his hands
help/switch/rotate when necessary

That is their assignments and it won't change no matter who is our center or power forward or any other player on the court while Kobe is in. He didn't say anything about Drew's ability on offense or defense. Didn't say Drew doesn't help us improve on offense or defense. I hate Garnette as much as the next Laker fan, but no need to get your panties in a bunch over a non-issue.

Yes, while the assignments are the same, he can't say there is no difference... He is talking like defending Kwame and Bynum is the same...

Funny, that Bynum gets some props when he was still in Minny... Must be a Boston thing.
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#42 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Yes, while the assignments are the same, he can't say there is no difference... He is talking like defending Kwame and Bynum is the same...

Funny, that Bynum gets some props when he was still in Minny... Must be a Boston thing.

Not really. All he brings up is defensive assignments, not quality of the players. He could say the same for every single position other than Kobe's. He also could've said there's no difference in their defensive assignment if it was Pau Gasol, Odom, or even Radmanovic at power forward. Their defense is what it is. Stop Kobe Bryant from making plays and scoring points. Yes it's clearly obvious that someone would have a harder time guarding Bynum than Mihm, but that doesn't change the assignment. People are clearly missing the point just so they have another reason to hate him.

Edited by daco_inc, December 26, 2008 - 03:21 PM.

#43 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:45 PM

Does Bynum make a difference, Kevin Garnett was asked.

"No," Garnett said.

That was the initial question and the initial response. Very Simple: Does Bynum make a difference? No. That was KG's answer. He didn't acknowledge the fact that Bynum DID make a difference. Maybe not on the offensive end, but definitely on the defensive end.

The follow-up question was "It's not a shock to run into another 7-footer?" and KG answered based on what they, the Celtics, do on defense. That's where he talks of their defensive assignments and such. He didn't acknowledge Bynum on the offensive end, due to their defense being tailored to guard anyone at any position. But, he answered that Bynum didn't make a difference, at all, for the intial question.

#44 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Ok, this is coming from a CELTIC FAN:

Eh, that's not entirely true. Celtic's were not able to execute they're offense, and maintian steady ball movement like they normally have, and I think Bynum's presence alone was a huge part of that. Not only does it severely limit Rondo's offensive game when you have two legitimate seven footers who can clog the lane when Rondo tries to drive, but when one of those seven footers game allows him to roam out of the paint and play a bit more on the perimeter (Pau), it's a mismatch nightmare for Boston, and I thought Bynum completely threw Boston out of they're typical approach. You saw Allen forcing a lot of bad shots, probably the most memorable of that game being the one that Pau swatted away. Having two seven footers, one who can clog the lane, and the other who can roam the perimeter with the best of them makes a HUGE difference IMO.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#45 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:19 PM

That was the initial question and the initial response. Very Simple: Does Bynum make a difference? No. That was KG's answer. He didn't acknowledge the fact that Bynum DID make a difference. Maybe not on the offensive end, but definitely on the defensive end.

The follow-up question was "It's not a shock to run into another 7-footer?" and KG answered based on what they, the Celtics, do on defense. That's where he talks of their defensive assignments and such. He didn't acknowledge Bynum on the offensive end, due to their defense being tailored to guard anyone at any position. But, he answered that Bynum didn't make a difference, at all, for the intial question.

The follow up question was basically leading Garnett to elaborate on why he believed Bynum didn't make a difference. Then he explained why.

#46 Rene

Rene

Reborn

• 418 posts
  • Name:Rene

Posted December 26, 2008 - 06:24 PM

Andrew Bynum definitely changed the dynamics of the ball-game, it's false for Garnett to suggest it made no difference.

#47 ez24

ez24

Back To Back?

• 1,506 posts
  • Fan Since:99-00 Brothers would watch them play and I followed
  • Fav. Laker:Trevor Ariza, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 27, 2008 - 12:44 AM

F KG F88k you im literally saying this outloud

*gets ready to print out kb cover for 2k9*
Im still a Trevor Ariza Fan, Thanks For The Championship.

#48 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 07:31 AM

No, KG is right. Bynum was not an offensive factor so he wouldn't make a change in their defensive assignment, he did impact the defensive end though for the Lakers.

Many people just aren't reading the article right.

The question from the article as I recall was did Bynum make an impact, not did Bynum make an offensive impact. KG spun around the question to down play the weakside of Bynum's game while ignoring the strength of it. That was a cowardly answer by a coward.

#49 Beef

Beef

Rookie

• 392 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Bynum

Posted December 27, 2008 - 07:42 AM

Bynum is not as good as last year's Bynum beacuse of Pau! Pau scores a lot of points in the paint,and gets about 10 rebounds a game!

For example:

Tell me if there is an All Star PF next to Dwight Howard! Rashard Lewis? Hell no,hes nowhere near Pau,plus hes way too short to play PF!

Does Yao Ming have a great PF next to him? He has Luis Scola,who is nowhere near Pau again!

And Chris Kaman's stats suck compared to last year's! Why? Beacuse the Clippers got an elite big man next to him in Marcus Camby!

Believe me,if Pau would leave the Lakers(nononononono)Bynum would average about 18/13/4blocks!

Bynum is gonna be the league's BEST center in 3 years!

GO BYNUMITE,KICK KG'S [expletive] IN THE FINALS!!!!!

#50 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:21 AM

The question from the article as I recall was did Bynum make an impact, not did Bynum make an offensive impact. KG spun around the question to down play the weakside of Bynum's game while ignoring the strength of it. That was a cowardly answer by a coward.

Are you rick fox?
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#51 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted December 27, 2008 - 09:57 AM

Are you rick fox?

No.

#52 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 27, 2008 - 10:17 AM

i dont believe you
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#53 Rene

Rene

Reborn

• 418 posts
  • Name:Rene

Posted December 27, 2008 - 02:19 PM

Seriously, did anyone actually read the article, or just the title of the thread? Garnette says Bynum made no difference to their defensive assignments.

Their defensive assignment basically:
Perkins guards our Center
Garnette guards our power forward
double team Kobe, force him to take bad shots or get the ball out of his hands
help/switch/rotate when necessary

That is their assignments and it won't change no matter who is our center or power forward or any other player on the court while Kobe is in. He didn't say anything about Drew's ability on offense or defense. Didn't say Drew doesn't help us improve on offense or defense. I hate Garnette as much as the next Laker fan, but no need to get your panties in a bunch over a non-issue.

Maybe the matchups are the same, but take into consideration the change of dynamics of the ball-game when Bynum is playing. No longer is Paul Pierce slashing at will and finding it easier to finish around to hoop. Doc Rivers said it himself in the interview — the Boston Celtics were worried about the length of the Lakers. That can be attributed to the Boston Celtics not taking many freethrows, if you recall, they took 28 in one game agianst the Lakers in the NBA Finals! Now, I don't know what your suggesting, Bynum doesn't make a difference in terms of the defensive assignment? Or on the offensive assignment? The matchups for the Boston Celtics were status quo, but c'mon, you know Bynum made a difference out there.

Think of Ariza, he didn't stuff the stat sheet, but it was all the little things out there that made his presence felt. The same can be applied to Bynum, his defensive presence alone made Celtic offenders more catious about finishing inside.

#54 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 27, 2008 - 02:28 PM

yes KG, bynum wasn't a factor and you STILL lost...think about that one for a while
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users