53 replies to this topic

#21 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 26, 2008 - 08:27 AM

I was kind of disappointed with Bynum's performance since I had high expectations on how much damage he would do against the Celtics and considering what he did last Christmas vs. the Suns, but overall he did pretty good today.

KG IS somewhat right with what he's saying, because defensively they would play a Center the same as any other Center in the league. But where KG is wrong is that Bynum makes a huge difference on the defensive end compared to last year. Simply his presence on D and him making Pau move to his more comfortable PF position is a huge difference from last year in my opinion.

He's not right at all. Your problem is you're only looking at a stat sheet. Yeah, he blocked only twice, but just being their deters many more shots.

Also, his presence allows Pau to move to PF, where he gets guarded by Garnett who is much smaller, than Perkins. It's a difference story to be guarded by 300 lbs, than by 240 lbs.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#22 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,495 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 26, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I think Phill did the right thing today by keeping Bynum in the game, he had taken him out for the past few games in the 4th. Now he lets Bynum stay in which makes his confiendec go up in a huge game. Gasol was great and his cofidence went up and i see this lakers team playing great ball from now on since they know they can beat boston now
Posted Image

#23 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,681 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 26, 2008 - 08:39 AM

Well he can say he didn't make a difference, but Bynum helped Pau make a difference, and the team won which is what matters...
Posted Image

#24 KaPau

KaPau

Rookie

• 68 posts
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Erving "Magic" Johnson

Posted December 26, 2008 - 08:40 AM

you know when he means he didn't made a difference, in his mind he made a difference, he contested so many shots, in the paint and outside, same for Gasol.

Edited by KaPau, December 26, 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#25 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 26, 2008 - 09:43 AM

He's not right at all. Your problem is you're only looking at a stat sheet. Yeah, he blocked only twice, but just being their deters many more shots.

Also, his presence allows Pau to move to PF, where he gets guarded by Garnett who is much smaller, than Perkins. It's a difference story to be guarded by 300 lbs, than by 240 lbs.

Well technically, KG is right. He says Bynum doesn't affect the defensive assignments, meaning Perk will still guard our center no matter who he is, and KG will continue to guard our PF whoever he is.

Bynum's role on defense was huge though. A lot of the problem in the finals was the C's dribble penetration by Rondo. He was able to make plays since Kobe would sag off him and act as a roamer, and Rondo would make us pay. But this time around, Rondo would have to encounter Big Drew in the paint which limited his ability to make plays off dribble penetration.

#26 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 26, 2008 - 09:46 AM

also KG didnt want to admit that he couldnt guard Bynum, b-cuz he is so "macho"
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#27 elpermic

elpermic

Rookie

• 1,021 posts
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:worthy, kobe, magic

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:16 AM

No, KG is right. Bynum was not an offensive factor so he wouldn't make a change in their defensive assignment, he did impact the defensive end though for the Lakers.

Many people just aren't reading the article right.

I'd plow Vanessa Bryant.

#28 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:26 AM

I wouldn't say Bynum isn't an offensive factor. Pau is definitely an offensive factor, but still he does not affect their defensive assignments either because their defense is all about stopping Kobe.

#29 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:43 AM

The fact that Bynum didn't really have a "great" game should scare the Celtics. If we can win like that, imagine what will happen when he starts to develop and dominate in the game.

#30 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:52 AM

Oh and I was thinking about what you said fido-

Do you really think this was the team they didn't want to lose against the most?

Think about that one... I did.

I don't know if losing to ANY team is better than losing to a different one when you have a 19 game win streak on the line. Every loss hurts, and losing to the defending Western Conference champs is not a "total shocker" if you know what I mean. I would think a loss to a cellar dwellar would really shake up their confidence a little bit.

Losing to a cellar dweller, any elite team can just say, "We had an off game". And at the end of the day the elite teams knows they are better than the cellar dweller.

Two elite teams play, the team that loses can say, "We had an off game". But at the end of the day it's gonna be in the loser's mind, "Maybe their just better than us?"

Ask yourself, if we lost yesterday, what lose would be my worrisome for you, loss to the Heat or loss to the Celtics?
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#31 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 11:04 AM

This worked out real well in the fourth. The doubled Kobe with KG leaving Pau and once Pau gets it he is such a good passer and scorer that Boston is left with a 4 on 3. If Boston had Posey they wouldn't have doubled Kobe and they could play the lakers straight up. Thank you Hornets for forking up the dough for Posey and thank you Celtics for trying to cut costs. This happens when you pay 3 players an average of 20 million a season.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#32 Vaporize

Vaporize

Sixth Man

• 2,939 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 11:31 AM

Ariza made a big difference though :P

Edited by Vaporize, December 26, 2008 - 11:31 AM.

Posted Image

#33 Cooleo

Cooleo

you need a dose of my dopeness.

• 959 posts
  • Fav. Laker:da black mamba

Posted December 26, 2008 - 11:33 AM

9 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks isnt good enough, huh.

#34 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:18 PM

Looking at the stats sheet? What the hell? I didn't even say that he blocked shots.

And how does being guarded by Perkins rather then Garnett a better thing? Garnett is a tenacious defender and will do a better job at guarding Pau at the perimeter than Perkins would. Moving Pau to the PF position takes the pressure off Pau's activity around the paint. Bynum allows Pau to hang around in the perimeter more and isolate more making him better offensively.

Made By Vaporize

#35 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:54 PM

Wrong KG Bill Walton is talking about how huge of the difference Bynum made, not stat wise but his presence on the floor and Bill made the best comment '' the game is won on where the ball ends up'' and Bynum blocked a couple and directed alot of shots.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#36 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:02 PM

see..Old KG in Minn would have gave Bynum props...this KG the new arrogant Donkey..:lol: sorry thinks just because he finally got his ring everyone has to kiss his butt and respect him. but sorry Kevin you gotta earn it ...and saying those things about Big Drew wont earn it. and your track record this year wont earn it..

Edited by m4mb4 24, December 26, 2008 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#37 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Seriously, did anyone actually read the article, or just the title of the thread? Garnette says Bynum made no difference to their defensive assignments.

Their defensive assignment basically:
Perkins guards our Center
Garnette guards our power forward
double team Kobe, force him to take bad shots or get the ball out of his hands
help/switch/rotate when necessary

That is their assignments and it won't change no matter who is our center or power forward or any other player on the court while Kobe is in. He didn't say anything about Drew's ability on offense or defense. Didn't say Drew doesn't help us improve on offense or defense. I hate Garnette as much as the next Laker fan, but no need to get your panties in a bunch over a non-issue.

#38 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Stop always trying to argue with everyone here.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#39 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:31 PM

Stop always trying to argue with everyone here.

How am I arguing? It's clear to me that some people didn't seem to have actually read the entire thing and is basically just focusing on "Garnett: Bynum didn't make a difference". Garnette elaborated. People are making an issue out of nothing.

If I'm wrong, then please explain why. Just don't throw unnecessary jabs saying I'm trying to argue with everyone.

Edited by daco_inc, December 26, 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#40 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,384 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:34 PM

Offensively, he didnt make a difference.

Defensively, he did make a difference.

End of story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users