Photo

Kevin Garnett: Bynum didn't make a difference

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,694 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:23 AM

Posted Image

The Celtics grimaced and took it like the professionals they are, giving the Lakers credit.

Well, all but one Laker.

The exception was Andrew Bynum, who missed last spring's series, whose modest line -- nine points, seven rebounds, two blocks -- doesn't measure his impact.

Nor were the Celtics about to acknowledge it.

Does Bynum make a difference, Kevin Garnett was asked.

"No," Garnett said.

Compared with last season's team?

"No."

It's not a shock to run into another 7-footer?

"It's not a shock because our defensive assignments are made if it was Chris Mihm, if it was Andrew Bynum, if it was Pau at the five and Lamar at the four," Garnett said. "Our defensive assignments don't change no matter who's there. . . .

"Hell, it could be Shaq. Our defensive assignments are what they are."

http://www.latimes.c...,7662973.column

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,885 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:27 AM

Let the downplays and excuses begin.

Whether Bynum helped or not (which he did because his mere presence allowed Pau to step out of the 5and back into his natural 4 spot. Thus letting him have the energy in the 4th to step up when the Lakers needed him. Whereas last year, he was exhausted from banging around all game as the Lakers' only big. But I digress...) - you got your butt kicked and your meaningless streak is over. And over against the team you didn't want to lose it to the most.

Eat it Kevin. Whether you want to admit it or not, you lost the biggest game of the year so far for you and the rest of your godforsaken team.

The quicker you admit it, the quicker you'll move on.

(Then again, hold onto it KG. let it burn inside of you and destroy your focus for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs)

God I hate the Celtics.

#3 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:28 AM

Don't hate KG cause you can no longer go physical with Pau but now you have to go physical with Drew which is much harder then Pau
Posted Image

#4 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:33 AM

PISS OFF KG you bastard.
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#5 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,795 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:35 AM

he didnt make a diff huh? :lol:

ok

bynum rejected rondo and tony allen atleast twice today

oh and bynum dunked on yo assssss

#6 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,457 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:35 AM

KG has met his kryptonite in Andrew "Bynumite" Bynum

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 26, 2008 - 12:55 AM

Well they do have a system on defense. It makes sense that it applies to any center on our team because their defense is tailored to combat Kobe Bryant, no one else. It was most especially evident in the final minutes when they smothered Kobe leaving Gasol to have his way in the paint. But Garnett is completely ignoring the whole point of why we needed Bynum. It was not so they would have to adjust their defense against our offense. It was because our defense needed him against their offense. His reasoning of bringing up their, the Celtics, defensive assignments is clearly ignoring that. Or to put it simply, Garnett is a [expletive]ing idiot.

Edited by daco_inc, December 26, 2008 - 12:56 AM.

#8 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,352 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:10 AM

Too hard to admit a defeat, Kevin ? I hope you like it you SOAB :censored:

#9 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:18 AM

First and foremost, awesome win today, Lakers played their butts off and really deserved the win. I was really glad to see them get a tiny little glimpse of revenge (it's not revenge yet because this was just a battle- they won the last war)

Let the downplays and excuses begin.

Whether Bynum helped or not (which he did because his mere presence allowed Pau to step out of the 5and back into his natural 4 spot. Thus letting him have the energy in the 4th to step up when the Lakers needed him. Whereas last year, he was exhausted from banging around all game as the Lakers' only big. But I digress...) - you got your butt kicked and your meaningless streak is over. And over against the team you didn't want to lose it to the most.

Eat it Kevin. Whether you want to admit it or not, you lost the biggest game of the year so far for you and the rest of your godforsaken team.

The quicker you admit it, the quicker you'll move on.

(Then again, hold onto it KG. let it burn inside of you and destroy your focus for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs)

God I hate the Celtics.

Some things here I agree with, some I don't. I agree this was the biggest game of the year SO FAR- yet, does not give anyone any bragging rights YET. The Lakers can win BOTH season games for all they care, because they would easily trade the 2 games in the season for the playoffs games anyways. So admitting it quicker and moving on quicker... That's a bit of an overexaggeration there buddy lol. I don't think this loss hurts him that much because all in all, they're 19-1 in their last 20 games.

For the Lakers however, this was a spectacular game, and really a confidence booster. Lakers hadn't been playing defense all too well lately, but turned it on tonight. I'm sure this game will wake them up and give them the confidence from the beginning of the season that they began with. BUT- Lakers can't use this game to measure just how good they are against the Celtics. They can't get too overconfident and play like they did last year in the finals.

I am indeed a Laker fan (thank you LD2k), I'm not a Celtic supporter, but being respectful I do understand what KG is saying. He's saying that he doesn't really care who it is at the position, their assignments didn't change. Meaning they never really had to give any extra attention to Bynum (who by the way, hasn't been playing all that great lately anyways). I'm sure in a year or two when Bynum really emerges to be the beast he's supposed to become, that will change. But for now, the biggest focus for that Celtic defense (and rightly so) is against KB24 who looked like he couldn't be stopped tonight. To me Bynum wasn't much of a factor at all. And yes I understand he can give Pau a break- but so can Chris Mihm.

One thing I did however see in Bynum was his defense. Some nice shot blocks and good rotations by the big guy. I give him lots of credit for playing with heart for the first time against these guys.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#10 TheCalmInsanity

TheCalmInsanity

TLN's Official Clipper Fan

• 785 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson!

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:22 AM

Oh and I was thinking about what you said fido-

you got your butt kicked and your meaningless streak is over. And over against the team you didn't want to lose it to the most.

Do you really think this was the team they didn't want to lose against the most?

Think about that one... I did.

I don't know if losing to ANY team is better than losing to a different one when you have a 19 game win streak on the line. Every loss hurts, and losing to the defending Western Conference champs is not a "total shocker" if you know what I mean. I would think a loss to a cellar dwellar would really shake up their confidence a little bit.
I'm a DIE HARD Clippers fan, and proud. I respect the Lakers and watch them every chance I get.

Respect me and I'll respect you. Don't respect me... we'll cross that bridge when we get there :)

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:30 AM

Just look at the paint production, blocked shots, dunks compared to last year...

Now, something unpopular.

The Lakers lost to BOS WITH Bynum last year. Perkins and KG pushed him around and dominated the Lakers. Is Bynum better? Not really. Is that what he meant? Maybe.

BOS also had their way with Pau for the most part last year. Is Pau better? I don't think so.

Is the addition of Bynum to the Lakers of last year with Pau the difference maker? Obviously. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts...

#12 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:36 AM

Here is what Doc said:

"It was good," Rivers said. "We rushed shots, but they were there. You've got to give them that credit. We can say we were sloppy, we can say we missed shots. But at the end of the day, Bynum was in the right place. He was long and they made us miss shots."

But you keep saying Bynum made no difference KG...

#13 fido

fido

• 11,885 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:37 AM

I'm sure the Celtics' confidence isn't shaken either way.

But you can bet the farm that the Celtics would've much rather lost to any other team besides the huge national game against their arch rival.

Bynum, though the same height as Mihm, Mbenga etc. brings different elements to the game than those players. To say that match-ups consist of strictly size is false. What Kevin is doing is trying to dull the point by not giving any credence to the fat that Bynum does and did amke a difference.

You tell me - if given the choice between Mihm or Bynum which do you think gives the Lakers the greatest chance of winning?

I agree and that's the point GCMD. Without some of the parts the sum is lesser. Today the parts were all there and it made the sum greater.

#14 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:49 AM

Garnette elaborated that Bynum doesn't affect their defensive assignments. He's probably right. But on our defensive end, Bynum clearly made an impact.

#15 fido

fido

• 11,885 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 01:52 AM

On paper as in you play him, you play him, that kind of thing. Sure, he doesn't affect it.

But to say that the physicality of Bynum being on the court as opposed to another center not affecting them - that's a lie.

#16 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 26, 2008 - 02:29 AM

Andrew Bynum and Chris Mihm + DJ Mbenga combined doesn't belong in the same sentence...

He puts Pau Gasol at the 4 and Lamar as the backup 4 (as much as he is struggling, it's way better than him at the 3)...

Let's just say replace Andrew Bynum with Dwight Howard or Yao Ming... You can't say it has no effect since the defensive assignment is the same... Are you joking me?
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,344 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:10 AM

last year it took bynum all the way till january to figure his role out and today he looked like he did right before his explosion onto the scene.

whether we wanted to admit it or not deep down we all knew it would take bynum time to get back to form and hes still not there yet but when he does get there watch out.
Posted Image

#18 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:24 AM

I was kind of disappointed with Bynum's performance since I had high expectations on how much damage he would do against the Celtics and considering what he did last Christmas vs. the Suns, but overall he did pretty good today.

KG IS somewhat right with what he's saying, because defensively they would play a Center the same as any other Center in the league. But where KG is wrong is that Bynum makes a huge difference on the defensive end compared to last year. Simply his presence on D and him making Pau move to his more comfortable PF position is a huge difference from last year in my opinion.

Made By Vaporize

#19 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:35 AM

There's a difference between guarding Bynum and guarding the likes of Mihm or Kwame...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#20 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,344 posts

Posted December 26, 2008 - 03:38 AM

the thing that was subtle but very encouraging was last year bynum started much the same as this year.

soft layups and half @$$ed rebound efforts.

but then around late december andrew started finishing stronger going for every rebound and contesting everything in the painted area.

today what i saw was while he didnt put up huge stats he pursued every rebound made himself readily available for drive and dishes and slammed the ball with meaning.

hopefully a sign of things to come
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users