Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Bynum is the least of our worries.

They can't use him differently and expect the same results. That's just not how it works.

Spponfeed him again and you can make a comparison with his old production.

I wouldn't call benching him and letting him work his back way into the starting lineup as spoon feeding him. Last year Cap said that one day the light bulb went on and he just got it. Perhaps a little bench time at the start of games will help turn that switch back on. He's a very smart kid; I just think he's confused right now. He had consistency last year before he went down and needs to get that back. He's the key to any chance we have for a championship this year, so he's a major concern.

#22 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:37 PM

I wouldn't call benching him and letting him work his back way into the starting lineup as spoon feeding him. Last year Cap said that one day the light bulb went on and he just got it. Perhaps a little bench time at the start of games will help turn that switch back on. He's a very smart kid; I just think he's confused right now. He had consistency last year before he went down and needs to get that back. He's the key to any chance we have for a championship this year, so he's a major concern.

By spoonfeeding, I'm talking about setting him up to be a finisher. Lobs, dumps in the paint, you know...plays where he can use his athleticism and length to finish over most any player.

Doing that forces the defense to sink into the paint, giving Kobe and Pau more room to work in the mid range and giving the shooters all day to hit those open Js.

Just trust me. Feeding Bynum the chippies will return immediate dividends.

#23 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:49 PM

By spoonfeeding, I'm talking about setting him up to be a finisher. Lobs, dumps in the paint, you know...plays where he can use his athleticism and length to finish over most any player.

Doing that forces the defense to sink into the paint, giving Kobe and Pau more room to work in the mid range and giving the shooters all day to hit those open Js.

Just trust me. Feeding Bynum the chippies will return immediate dividends.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree. For that to happen, however, he needs to re-learn how to position himself so that the spoonfeeding is effective. Right now he's getting pushed out too far from the basket and is confused. Cap needs to work with him on that. He looked a little better tonight with his 13 points, but he only had 4 boards and 1 block. Yeesh.

#24 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:00 PM

I agree with GCMD. When you feed the big, it opens things up for everybody else. Our team seems to be allergic from passing to Bynum.

At the same time, this causes Bynum to lose confidence, for he is only 21, and become more passive on defense.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#25 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:02 PM

but he's not gonna get touches, if he's gonna establish position from like 18 feet where he's useless

he needs to work inside, seal his man and be aware of a weakside defender so taht when the ball comes in he can have a good grip on it

just like the Miami game we had a half dozen turnovers on trying to get the ball into the post for Andrew

Heck even Lamar told him to keep going back to the box but he kept stationing himself too high (Stu said this)

Edited by MDI, December 22, 2008 - 08:02 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#26 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:03 PM

but he's not gonna get touches, if he's gonna establish position from like 18 feet where he's useless

he needs to work inside, seal his man and be aware of a weakside defender so taht when the ball comes in he can have a good grip on it

just like the Miami game we had a half dozen turnovers on trying to get the ball into the post for Andrew

Heck even Lamar told him to keep going back to the box but he kept stationing himself too high (Stu said this)

He positions 18 feet away because that's the only time they pass it to him. Everytime he gets a post position, Fisher ends up passing it to Kobe.

#27 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:06 PM

but there are just as many times where we do look for him but he's catching the ball too high and just stands there.

I think ever since this play he hasn't been rolling to the basket that much

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#28 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:11 PM

He catches the ball high because Fisher only know how to pass to Kobe. So he has to go out 18 feet in order to get the ball. Phil needs to make sure that we feed the post early and often to set the tone.

#29 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:16 PM

He's out there trying to set and slip the screen for the lob.

Being aggressive on the drive and around screens will open this up for them even more.

He's doing what worked last year, even if the team isn't recognizing the opportunities fast enough.

#30 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:19 PM

but there are just as many times where we do look for him but he's catching the ball too high and just stands there.

I think ever since this play he hasn't been rolling to the basket that much

He shouldn't have to catch the ball out there. That's for Pau. That's the problem. They are trying to use Bynum and Pau interchangeably when in truth, they have 2 completely different skillsets.

Bynum does NOT equal Pau.
Pau does NOT equal Bynum.

#31 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Bynum should always be positioned on the low block, and Pau on the high block. That being because Pau has a reliable mid-range shot, Andrew does not. Like GCMD said, they are not interchangeable.

#32 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:23 PM

The question is: Will they understand each other's roles on both ends of the court in time to make a serious run for the title?

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 22, 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#33 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:53 PM

It's not really a question of understanding. It's executing.

Bynum is a prototypical center.
Pau is a prototypical PowerForward.

They should be used as such. This pulling Bynum out to the elbow is stupid. He's going to have to pass it or shoot it. If he has to come out there to get the ball, it should be as a set play where he's hitting a cutter OR hitting Pau in the post up. What do you really expect your young CENTER to do with the ball that far out? Drive to the lane? Start backing his man down?

Spoonfeed Bynum. What makes Bynum so dominant is he has 3 things you can teach: size (length/height/reach) and explosiveness (not DH or Amare but still pretty good for his size) and GREAT HANDS.

He's at his best when all he has to do it catch the ball on the move and finish.

He's young. People want him to instantly turn into Kareem. That's not going to happen. Let's get him back to dominance at the CENTER POSITION and then, THEN we can start working on expanding his game.

Take your time with him. He's got at least 10 years left in his career. He doesn't have to swallow the whole cake in one bite.

Edited by GCMD, December 22, 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#34 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 23, 2008 - 02:57 AM

GCMD are you proposing patience and a steady diet of an inside / outside game fro Andrew's success?

That's blasphemy around some Laker parts.

(I totally agree with ya)

#35 GotKobe?

GotKobe?

Rookie

• 35 posts
  • Fav. Laker:MAGIC,KAREEM,WORTHY,KOBE,DFISH

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:20 AM

I think it would be a good idea to see Drew coming off the bench for awhile. He's been getting in early foul trouble. Right now it looks like he has two left feet. Change is hard to accept, but I think by him coming off the bench would motivate him to play harder and smarter. From a starter to bench player should light a fire on this kid. I have faith in this young center. Don't start bashing this young center give him time. The first 15 games we dominated and it was getting boring when we blew out teams. Now, were glued to the TV/Radio set till the game is over. GO Lakers!!!!

Edited by GotKobe?, December 23, 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#36 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 23, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I think it would be a good idea to see Drew coming off the bench for awhile. He's been getting in early foul trouble. Right now it looks like he has two left feet. Change is hard to accept, but I think by him coming off the bench would motivate him to play harder and smarter. From a starter to bench player should light a fire on this kid. I have faith in this young center. Don't start bashing this young center give him time. The first 15 games we dominated and it was getting boring when we blew out teams. Now, were glued to the TV/Radio set till the game is over. GO Lakers!!!!

I have faith in him, too. If Phil relegates him to the Bench Mob for a few weeks, think of it as muscle memory. This is where he began his season last year and then the switch went on. It's better for LO to start, too. He's never come off the bench in his life and his production this year is showing it. He's not playing that many fewer minutes than he used to, but he's far from being a Sixth Man of the Year candidate. It would be better for both players and the team IMO.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 23, 2008 - 07:31 AM.

#37 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,749 posts

Posted December 23, 2008 - 10:59 AM

GCMD are you proposing patience and a steady diet of an inside / outside game fro Andrew's success?

That's blasphemy around some Laker parts.

(I totally agree with ya)

Yeah...I know. I'm that dude that says the "wild and crazy" things...until it dawns on them and the light bulb finally goes on. Then, they talk about it like it was their idea all along...

You should know. I learned it watching you. :worthy: B)

#38 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:09 AM

GCMD,

knock it off with that common sense crap
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#39 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:17 AM

A steady diet to the inside? But that would mean Kobe shooting less than 30 times a night and Fisher unable to miss those point blank layups.

#40 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 23, 2008 - 11:25 AM

Thanks GCMD. I appreciate the prop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users