#21 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 21, 2008 - 10:19 PM

Yes Ken, Coach Jackson turned from a coaching genius to a idiot overnight. Yes lets blame Coach Jackson.

I didn't say that. I'm as big a Phil Jackson fan as anyone, but sometimes even great coaches have seen better days. He has to work with what he's got and what he's got is the most versatile, long, agile, smart, athletic group of basketball players in the NBA. Can he instill toughness into this group or are they just who they are? The reason I bring up Avery Johnson is because he took a run and gun, soft offensive minded team, and taught them how to play defense. I know he got nowhere in the playoffs, but either did Doc Rivers until last year when he preached and taught defense from the beginning of camp. I'm simply throwing out some food for thought that is backed with some intelligent reasoning, unlike someone else on here who is simply throwing out one-liners that lack any substance whatsoever simply to establish a new reputation. pffft.

#22 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted December 21, 2008 - 10:23 PM

they are messing with themselves by selling themselves short.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#23 Derelict

Derelict

Rookie

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Mr. West

Posted December 21, 2008 - 10:26 PM

I didn't say that. I'm as big a Phil Jackson fan as anyone, but sometimes even great coaches have seen better days. He has to work with what he's got and what he's got is the most versatile, long, agile, smart, athletic group of basketball players in the NBA. Can he instill toughness into this group or are they just who they are? The reason I bring up Avery Johnson is because he took a run and gun, soft offensive minded team, and taught them how to play defense. I know he got nowhere in the playoffs, but either did Doc Rivers until last year when he preached and taught defense from the beginning of camp. I'm simply throwing out some food for thought that is backed with some intelligent reasoning, unlike someone else on here who is simply throwing out one-liners that lack any substance whatsoever simply to establish a new reputation. pffft.

Just like fine wine, coaching only gets better with age. Coach Jackson has earned everyones and I say EVERYONES respect. 1 NBA Title as a player, NINE NBA Titles as a Coach, and he has a bond with the GREATEST basketball player of all time - Michael Jeffrey Jordan, not to mention a member of the top 50 NBA players of all time - Scottie Pippen. Perhaps it is a personnel problem Ken? Maybe there is a petulant person in the locker room? Attitude reflect leadership, maybe our floor general lacks leadership skills eh??
If you're unhappy with Derelict, please show your displeasure by driving with your lights off at night.

#24 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:17 PM

I agree with the thread starter, good point. I have no idea how I didn't see this earlier.

#25 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:35 PM

No comment.

#26 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:52 PM

Tough crowd...good thing I didn't make a thread on my alien abduction theory...

#27 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:15 AM

just let is die down by itself see what happens

#28 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:15 AM

just let is die down by itself see what happens

#29 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted December 22, 2008 - 12:29 AM

I agree with the thread starter, good point. I have no idea how I didn't see this earlier.

lol only you......

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#30 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted December 22, 2008 - 01:38 AM

Just like fine wine, coaching only gets better with age. Coach Jackson has earned everyones and I say EVERYONES respect. 1 NBA Title as a player, NINE NBA Titles as a Coach, and he has a bond with the GREATEST basketball player of all time - Michael Jeffrey Jordan, not to mention a member of the top 50 NBA players of all time - Scottie Pippen. Perhaps it is a personnel problem Ken? Maybe there is a petulant person in the locker room? Attitude reflect leadership, maybe our floor general lacks leadership skills eh??

it's clear that you two have a long history of unwanted tension... isn't it just about time that you guys got a room to get it over with??? it's obvious to everyone at TLN, what's really going on... :dance1:

#31 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,837 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:27 AM

it just gets annoying that i have to read these 2 lambasting each other while im trying to figure out why in the hell would we "mess with" losses just to get an upper hand on the celtics
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#32 GinzyVee

GinzyVee

Clutch

• 1,969 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2008 - 05:41 AM

Am I dumb? Really people? If I was dumb I would not have thought of this and many coaches have different strategies against other teams, they probably are not doing this but it's not bad to give an example of something possible.

#33 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 22, 2008 - 07:02 AM

^I don't think anyone here called YOU dumb, just your theory. If everyone gave examples of "possible" excuses for our losses, there would be hundreds of new threads everyday. Heck even my alien abduction theory (see movie Space Jam for further clarification) is "possible". Completely ridiculous? Absolutely. Possible? Well there's no proof aliens don't exist, and who knows what crazy reason they may have to steal our team's basketball prowess... Yes, it's not bad to give an example of something possible, but it's in your best interest to make sure that it actually makes sense. Losing some games on the very slim chance that we catch a team that seems to not take it easy on any team off-guard just to win a regular season game? Lose a bunch of games at the expense of just ONE game? Not smart, yea?

#34 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:01 AM

Perhaps it is a personnel problem. I've already raised that possibility in another post, but I won't hang it on Kobe and his lack of leadership skills. While you treat last season as if it didn't exist because you and I both know that you aren't really a Lakers fan, it was the evolution of Kobe Bryant as a player and a leader that earned him that MVP award. The Celtics are playing with 3 potential Hall of Famers who are all at or near the top of their games. We have one plus Gasol, who, while not a future Hall of Famer, certainly will earn some more All-Star Game appearances.

All you are doing by saying that all great coaches age like fine wine is showing your Bulls bias. There are very few Jerry Sloans out there because the game passes them by or they lack the motivation they used to have or whatever. I'm not suggesting that Philip fits into that category, I'm just raising it as as food for thought. Of course he shouldn't be fired and I wasn't suggesting that, only that there are other more fiery coaches out there who might be better for this squad. He will know when his ship has sailed.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 22, 2008 - 08:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users