Has Andrew Bynum Gotten' Comfortable?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 20, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Cuz either it's just me or does it seem like he's not playing with that same passion these days. Now, I love Andrew Bynum and granted, I know some of these most recent games, well frankly today and yesterday he's been in foul trouble, but even before that, I think there's a red flag on this guy right now. Clearly, we have YET to see the same Andrew as last year in his prime at his best. Now, I think we've all seen SOME slight flashes here & there this season, but not enough consistency whatsoever.

Is he upset with the Coach? His role on the team? Still not trusting his knee 100%? Not in good enough shape? Just doesn't have the explosion he used to? I'm not sure, but I do know that naturally for a good number of players throughout the NBA and history, not just in the NBA, but in several other professional sports, after a player gets his contract, naturally, unfortunately, many of them get a little comfortable.

Luke screwed us, but it turned out he was totally just a fluke anyway. Huge mistake there and unfortunately Sasha may have too. We could've gotten' so many way better players than Sasha for around that same price range of contract we gave him, if not a little more or a little less, like Posey, as much as we hate him, but he wins championships, and or even Matt Barnes who's barely making anything close to what Sasha is. Both those guys don't just shoot 3s like Sasha mostly seemingly, but they can do A LOT of other things overall Sasha cannot, they're way more athletic, and most importantly, they bring a huge toughness impact to the whole team. Sometimes, the Lakers, us, we are TOO LOYAL to a FAULT.

I didn't and still don't think completely Andrew will be one of those that kinda screws us again cuz I just don't think he's that type of guy. He seems like a man of his word, great guy, determined, full of potential, it's all there for him, but unfortunately, at least based off what I've seen so far this season from him and especially lately, I can't help but say I've been severely disappointed. Maybe he just needs more time? Who knows, but something's definitely not right with our big guy.

Edited by Chicano, December 20, 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#2 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 20, 2008 - 08:27 PM

Not really Bynum's fault.

They paid him to get back to last year's form. He's not going to do that if they play him differently on offense. Last year, they spoonfed him. This year, they want him to make the quantum leap to Pau Gasol's level (throwing the ball into him and making him go one on one).

Start Farmar (impossible now) and make an effort to get Bynum some of the easy dunks or lobs. That's all they need to do to get Bynum back on the right page.

#3 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted December 20, 2008 - 09:02 PM

It is all about confidence. Bynum has to play a different role than last year. More a defensive minded player than a player who is asked to do all aspects of the game. His touches are more limited as Pau is getting the ball in the post more and he is asked to play off others rather than others playing off him. Give him time and I am sure he will adjust. Still the season is early and it is good these questions about the lakers are now and not in Feb. and March. This is the journey and not the destination. The journey can be tough.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#4 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted December 21, 2008 - 01:32 AM

Bynum's body language just suggest that he's lazy and has no fire. He just strolls back on defense and doesn't box or fight for position on both defense and offense.

What a mess.

In the beginning of this year where he was out of shape, he talked about and focus solely on defense. And that was good enough for me and good enough for the Lakers who sorely needs an intimidator inside.

Now he's just puts out no effort defense and rebounding.

#5 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:24 AM

He's not getting enough touches. It's common for younger players defense and everything to level off if they don't get touches.

I remember that happened to Dwight Howard for a good stretch last year, until SVG talked trash, and took him to the side, to re motivate him.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#6 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:33 AM

P&R with Pau up top, make the lob to Bynum in the paint for the slam. Sure fire play...canbe run in any situation and leads to options on the wings or straight down the middle for the ballhandler and either wing.

Doesn't matter. Get Bynum some easy lobs and the offense will balance out. They put so much effort into that last year. Why have they forgotten about it now?

#7 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 21, 2008 - 11:49 AM

He's not getting enough touches. It's common for younger players defense and everything to level off if they don't get touches.

I remember that happened to Dwight Howard for a good stretch last year, until SVG talked trash, and took him to the side, to re motivate him.

yeah I noticed that too, I always hear Stu Lantz saying use the advantage that Bynum has on the smaller Centers but they never go to him. But I think thats Bynums fault aslo, last night he had Dwight isolated many times and instead of takeing it to the hole or what not. Bynum just stands fronting him up and jacking up a 10 footer

#8 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 21, 2008 - 12:05 PM

he has hit a wall in my opinion that rooks and young players hit, but i think he will improve as soon as the next game against darko...who is a decent defender
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#9 Helljumper

Helljumper

76ers GM

• 2,461 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 21, 2008 - 12:10 PM

He had a really great stretch in late November to early December but he's been struggling lately, largely due to foul trouble. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users