• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 18, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Guard Jordan Farmar is confused as to what head coach Phil Jackson wants him to do, the L.A. Times are reporting.

After getting yanked against the Knicks and playing just nine minutes, Farmar met with Jackson to discuss what he should be doing.

"He didn't call me up there, I asked to talk to him -- to vent," Farmar said. "Just trying to get some things across."

It was as if Farmar popped into the "principal's office," Jackson said. "I felt he was frustrated."

"I asked them what they wanted me to do so I can go out there and do it and not be confused about my job," Farmar said. "They're not looking for me to do anything personal -- just run our offense. It affects my performance and what I do.

Read full article here

#2 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 09:48 AM

everyone has to be on the same page to succeed. i think it's great that Jordan approached Phil instead of going

to the media to vent his frustrations.

#3 Hayter M

Hayter M

Stinky

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Fan Since:1984

Posted December 18, 2008 - 09:59 AM

your role? stop nate robinson....... play d on him or ride the pine...

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:07 AM

You want to know what to do?

1) Stop chucking 3's when Kobe's not on the court. When Kobe's on the court, its fine (look at Derek, his percentage from the arc will tell you its fine, if not more than fine) to hurl the long shot - when and only when you're open.

2) Break down defense by simple probe dribbling (something you did a ton the first 7 games of the year).

3) Space yourself better on your man defensively. Your crowding everyone and letting people run by you with ease. If you do get beat, don't stop, get yourself to a shooter on the outside. The Lakers are getting killed by drive and kick plays because of the quitting perimeter D.

4) Stop with the constant attitude and bickering with teammates when you go to the bench. You had better learn where to draw the line between being motivational or being abrasive.

5) When you do get inside use the collapsed defense to kick it out, not force up a well contested shot from the paint.

6) You're a small guard, remember that, use it to your advantage.

#5 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Watch tapes of Tony Parker and do what he does, but with dunking since you actually have hops.

#6 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Its not a bad idea.

Jordan and Parker have very similar games, builds and skills.

#7 Hayter M

Hayter M

Stinky

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Fan Since:1984

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:20 AM

Watch tapes of Tony Parker and do what he does, but with dunking since you actually have hops.

he has the hops, just not the talent. farmar is a solid pg but you can't compare him to tony parker. TP is the man.

#8 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:27 AM

You can compare actually - their games are really similar.

Of course Parker is the better player (although I still contend that if he were playing alongside someone else besides Duncan he would be average), but Farmar has a game that resembles him in a lot of ways.

#9 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:36 AM

he has the hops, just not the talent. farmar is a solid pg but you can't compare him to tony parker. TP is the man.

You can compare actually - their games are really similar.

Of course Parker is the better player (although I still contend that if he were playing alongside someone else besides Duncan he would be average), but Farmar has a game that resembles him in a lot of ways.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Tony Parker wasn't anywhere NEAR his current level when he came into the league.

TP now is worlds above Farmar, but there were times in the pre-season and the first few weeks where Jordan was making TP-esque moves. I think if Farmar tried to model his game after Parker, he would be a much better player.

#10 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:59 AM

I'm with ya 100% on this one Bad Scooter.

#11 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 18, 2008 - 11:25 AM

Great takes by Fido and BadScooter. I'm glad that Farmar doesn't have such a big ego that he thinks it is everyone else's fault. I think he will make the necessary adjustments so that he will elevate the level of his play and be a confident, solid player by mid-season. Like Sasha, he's a gym rat who constantly tries to improve his game. It's great that he's working at it. Let's hope that he works at it at both ends of the court though.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 18, 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#12 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 11:52 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Tony Parker wasn't anywhere NEAR his current level when he came into the league.

TP now is worlds above Farmar, but there were times in the pre-season and the first few weeks where Jordan was making TP-esque moves. I think if Farmar tried to model his game after Parker, he would be a much better player.

I agree 100%.

But Jordan shouldn't only watch tape of Parker, he should STUDY everything he does to the finest detail and try to imitate him. Phil Jackson should in turn, reward Farmar with some more playing time should he be deserving.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#13 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 12:37 PM

Man what is happening to our team

First LO then Bynum and then Vlade gets benched and now Farmar is unhappy

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#14 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 12:45 PM

That's what happens when this team has so much talent, everyone wants a piece of the action.

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 12:52 PM

yea but that isn't the issue with Jordan...Phil has been playing him a lot more in the 4th, its just that he made some horrible decisions in that Indiana roadtrip and Phil told him to stop chucking and run the offense instead. As good as PJ is a coach, he's poor at dealing with young players so I can't blame Jordan either for being confused with what Phil wants him to do

nevertheless, his defense SHOULD BE a constant which is clearly not for Jordan and that is inexcuseable

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Play defense and/or with passion all the time and Phil has no problem with you.

That's the way it should be.

i like having a team where nobody is happy with playing time. ti shows that these guys want to play. Much better than having guys that are cool with sitting.

#17 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,181 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted December 18, 2008 - 02:53 PM

if farmar has some trouble with the offense he will be headed out for someone better and more fluent

#18 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:05 PM

No really though, Ear Jordan, you need A LOT of work on your defense. You need to stop refusing to pass the ball to Kobe every single time. You need to minimize the amount of stupid shots you take and lastly, as said mentioned earlier here, attack the basket more often man, watch some Mr. Parker tapes, damn it!

#19 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,744 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I agree with everything said here.

Only thing I want to add is Phil needs to go ahead and start Farmar.

And the Tony Parker comparison is extremely close. If he uses his strengths, we'd get the same results.

And Tony Parker is no DPOY candidate. FYI.

#20 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:29 PM

And Tony Parker is no DPOY candidate. FYI.

Few, if any, point guards are. The closest I see is Rajon Rondo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users