Photo

Phil: Team losing its 'spark'

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,643 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted December 17, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Posted Image

Coach Phil Jackson said it as plainly as he could Tuesday night.

"They've lost that spark, so that's what's missing and people see it," he said of the Lakers before they played host to the New York Knicks.

"We're seeking perfection," Jackson said. "That's what you always try to do, but you're not going to play every game up to par. Sometimes it takes competition to raise that level in these players because they're working hard.

"Games have to have meaning to them. We're trying to make them have meaning every night that they play, and that brings the level up a lot. They've got to get to that (level again)."

The Lakers and the NBA champion Boston Celtics are each on pace to surpass the league record of 72 victories in a season set by the Jackson-coached and Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls in 1995-96.

No other team has won 70 games in a season.

The Lakers went into Tuesday's game with a 20-3 mark and were on pace for a final record of 71-11. The Celtics are 23-2 and on pace for a final mark of 75-7.

"We suck it up on defense, we could do it," Lamar Odom said when asked about winning 70. "(But) we continue to play two games good defensively, three games OK, two games good enough, one game good.

"We shouldn't be playing like that right now. I'm not saying you have to win every game by 20, but there's a certain way you want to go out there. Not necessarily killer instinct, but playing the same way defensively."

Defense is the key, according to Odom. Offensively, they are fine, he said.

"It's like will, energy and effort on every possession," he said. "We know we can score. It doesn't matter what team you put in front of us, we know we can score. We've got 12 guys who can hit shots. We can do it offensively.

"We just have to focus on defense. No one talks about the nose tackle. You don't really get props for it. It's a linebacker mentality. Football. Team defense. Being nasty. ... I'm trying to figure it out. I just think we can get better defensively."

Passing Red

Jackson on Tuesday passed Red Auerbach by coaching in his 1,418th career game with the Lakers and Chicago Bulls.

Jackson is 12th on the NBA's all-time list of games coached. He and the late Auerbach, a former coach and executive with the Celtics, are tied for the most league championships with nine apiece. ---------

http://www.dailynews...ers/ci_11249779

#2 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:04 PM

It's time to regain the spark.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#3 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:33 PM

It's time to regain the spark.

Threesome?

#4 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:35 PM

Co-sign for the 4-some.

Phil is right. We need to get that spark and killer instinct back.

#5 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted December 17, 2008 - 11:39 PM

Phil's always right. ;)
haha. But i do agree with Phil, its pretty noticeable that the fire that we saw earlier is gone.

#6 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 18, 2008 - 12:59 AM

Never listen to Lamar. Start there.

The defense is sucking. I agree there. The offense is not fine though.

But who am I? I keep saying the same things and noone listens...until it becomes super obvious.

If the Lakers want to get back to dominance, 2 things have to happen.

1. They have to start getting Bynum some easy scores. Some spoonfeeding...some alleys...some quick passes after slipped screens. Get some offense going toward the rim instead of forcing it in to Bynum and Pau.

2. They've got to communicate better on defense. They've got to contain, not gamble. Kobe has to wake up.

Those 2 things will get them back on the right road. From there, they can find a way to win almost every game.

#7 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 18, 2008 - 07:58 AM

^If you ever played organized league basketball before, then you should be familiar with the saying (or a variation of), "offense wins games, but defense win championships." Defense is the main concern of this team, end of story. Like Lamar said, any of those 12 guys can knock down shots. Any of those guys can get into the double digits in points. Is the offense perfect? No, there's always room for improvement. They do get complacent when we have big leads, but those big leads wouldn't happen without defense and they wouldn't happen if our offense wasn't fine.

#8 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 18, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Let's hope that the road trip is good medicine for the defense. It wasn't the first road trip, but maybe it will be this time. Remember the 7-2 road trip last year after Drew went down and we picked up Pau? That was in January though. We need to fix some things before the Chowds invade Staples Center, so now is the time to do it.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 18, 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:29 PM

^If you ever played organized league basketball before, then you should be familiar with the saying (or a variation of), "offense wins games, but defense win championships." Defense is the main concern of this team, end of story. Like Lamar said, any of those 12 guys can knock down shots. Any of those guys can get into the double digits in points. Is the offense perfect? No, there's always room for improvement. They do get complacent when we have big leads, but those big leads wouldn't happen without defense and they wouldn't happen if our offense wasn't fine.

I'm with you except you are talking about conventional offense, not the triangle.

The triangle is team execution personified. We don't have that. We have enough talent to score but the OFFENSE (which I assumed you understood as the TRIANGLE OFFENSE) looks HORRIBLE.

Wasn't Tex just talking about in an article? AND Phil? That's talking about the offense.

Talking about what individual players can do is irrelevant and misses the POINT, BADLY. The offense is NOT fine.

Why do I keep having to say this?

Edited by GCMD, December 18, 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#10 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:51 PM

The triangle is team execution personified. We don't have that. We have enough talent to score but the OFFENSE (which I assumed you understood as the TRIANGLE OFFENSE) looks HORRIBLE.

Talking about what individual players can do is irrelevant and misses the POINT, BADLY. The offense is NOT fine.

So now the defense is horrible AND the offense is horrible. Leading the NBA in scoring isn't good enough for you nor is a 21-3 record. I must hand it to you, GCMD, you bleed purple and gold more than anyone I have ever encountered!

#11 Aztek Lakerfan

Aztek Lakerfan

Aztek Lakerfan

• 466 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 18, 2008 - 03:53 PM

I agree with Phil.

#12 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 18, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I'm with you except you are talking about conventional offense, not the triangle.

Wasn't Tex just talking about in an article? AND Phil? That's talking about the offense.

How is talking about what the players can do irrelevant? What is the main point of offense? To score points. What is the main point of defense? To prevent the other team from scoring points, or in other words, get stops. We're doing only one of those consistently, and the other we do barely (and I assume you know which is which). Like I said, their offense isn't perfect, and it may not be up to your standards, but the bottom line is that they are still getting it done on the offensive end by finding ways to score, and they are doing it efficiently (except when they get complacent, but that has more to do with focus and energy). Even with poor execution, they are still performing well offensively. While on defense, there's no execution and hardly any performing. It's clear what our main concern/priority is.

#13 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 07:26 PM

Don't forget that the Lakers' special teams stink, too. :) Oh, and for the record, I also defer to Phil Jackson.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 18, 2008 - 07:35 PM.

#14 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 18, 2008 - 08:29 PM

Threesome?

Of course.

Posted Image
Team Farmar