#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:38 AM

Lakers beat Wolves and improve to 20-3

Final Score: Lakers 98 Wolves 86

The Lakers continued to take advantage of the easy schedule at home as they defeated the T-Wolves to remain atop the West. We weren’t quite able to get some separation from them but we maintained a sizeable lead in the 4th and put them away when needed. Alright so lets break it down and see how we did in this snoozefest

Positives

-We didn’t have a great shooting night as we shot only 44.7% from the field but we did work the ball inside and got our big men going early in the game. Drew and Pau also outran the Twolves frontline a few times and were able to convert some easy baskets

- Kobe didn't have a good shooting night but he made timely baskets and created some easy scoring opportunities for his teammates.

- Fish finished with 6 assists and made some great passes to get our big guys easy buckets. I really like the pick and roll with Fish and Bynum, those two worked it to perfection, I hope we run it more often

- Pau Gasol continues to be Mr. Reliable as he had another solid game with 18 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 3 blocks. He used his length to bother Craig Smith’s and Jefferson's shots at the rim.

- Bynum was active early on in the defensive end and his length bothered Al Jefferson a lot the rest of the game. Jefferson ended up finishing the game 8 for 24 from the field with 20 points. Drew did a great job of guarding him one on one and didn’t fall for his head or shoulder fakes.

- Ariza played with tons of energy and he was able to get into passing lanes and get some steals to fuel our fastbreak. Now we all know why GM’s around the league consider him one of the best defenders in playing the passing lanes.
http://www.nba.com/2...ense/index.html

- Offensively, he finished strong at the rim on some nice passes and stroked a 3 ball down from and made the defense pay for doubling Pau down low.

- Odom had a good game as he finished with 6 points and 10 rebounds. He used his foot speed to get by Kevin Love and Al Jefferson to get some easy layups. But more importantly he slowed the tempo down whenever there was a rebound off a missed shot and didn’t force the issue unless there was a clear advantage on the fast break. He made sure we pounded the ball inside to Andrew or ran the offense. Looks like he’s taking his leadership role seriously this time, lets hope he keeps this up

- Luke knocked down a 3 ball and was able to take Miller or whoever guarding him into the lane off the dribble but he wasn’t looking to take the pull up mid range shot. In one of his ventures into the lane however, he did drop a floater.

- We were 1 for 7 on 3s in the first half but we improved and went 4 for 8 in the second.

Negatives

- We started out real slow and it took a while to get our offense going. There was a lot of one on one going on in the initial minutes, instead of player movement and passing.

- Bench mob didn’t play with a whole lot of energy and focus to end the 1st quarter and begin the second quarter. We had a 20-13 edge on them with 1.55 left in the first and they ended up taking a 28-25 lead on us with 5.22 left at the half

- During that 7 minute stretch where we got outscored 15-5, Sasha and Farmar took bad contested shots and committed some unforced turnovers. If we’re gonna be a championship team, we can’t have mental lapses like that because other teams will make us pay for those mistakes.

- I don’t know why we were doubling Jefferson down low when Andrew was doing a great job of containing him. Fish, Kobe and Ariza were the culprits that gave good looks to Foye, McCants and Mike Miller. Fortunately Foye was having a bad shooting night and ended up going 0 for 5 from 3 but McCants and Miller made us pay.

- I thought we didn’t go to Pau a lot in the 3rd. He had a 5 inch advantage of Craig Smith and I thought we should’ve exploited that matchup more.

- At one point the Wolves had 13 turnovers and we only had 11 points off their mistakes. Again, to be the best out there we need to minimize our mistakes and capitalize on our opponents’ giveaways.

- They outboarded us 53-46 and had 16 offensive rebounds. That’s way too many even though Minnesota is one of the better rebounding teams in the league.

- We just looked like we were going through the motions out there and weren’t playing with a whole lot of energy. The game shouldn’t have been as close as it was for most of the game and we should’ve put them away around the end of the 3rd

Miscellaneous

- Mike Miller is such a good player, I would love to have him on our team. He’s got good handles and more importantly good court vision. Several times he made the extra pass for an open shot but guys like Foye, Gomes and McCants weren’t able to knock down the open looks. He’s a very deceptive rebounder – he had 9 in this game, all on the defensive end. And he played to his strength as he knocked down 3 of 5 3 balls.

- Kevin Love is very impressive. The kid goes after the every missed shot like it belongs to him and he got his hands on at least 5-6 more rebounds that could’ve been his. He’s got a rebounder’s mentality and it showed today as he had 10 boards in 20 minutes of play.

- Kobe is now 4 points shy of overtaking Clyde Drexler for 21st on the All time scoring list.

- Lakers face the New York Knicks at home on Tuesday before leaving on a 4 game road trip.

Posted Image

Edited by MDI, December 15, 2008 - 01:49 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:50 AM

Good job, MDI.

You did a good recap of the game. :clap2:

Are you going to be doing a recap after every game?

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:51 AM

Thanks Nissan

I'm not sure if I'll do it every game but we'll see

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:57 AM

you pretty much summed it all up. impartial and informative. i don't know how you watched the whole game

because it was another ugly game tonight.

i agree about Mike Miller. he sure would look good in a Laker uniform.

Edited by rissa missa, December 15, 2008 - 01:59 AM.

#5 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:59 AM

you pretty summed it all up. impartial and informative. i don't know how you watched the

whole game because it was another ugly game tonight.

i agree about Mike Miller. he sure would look good in a Laker uniform.

Thanks Rissa. Haha i had nothing else to do so i watched it.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#6 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 02:44 AM

Oh wtf, it felt to me like Kobe shot much better from the field! I guess it looked to me like he shot better shots... or maybe cuz he made some 3s I didn't notice as much that he shot 9-24.

We should have won by 30 against the TWolves

#7 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted December 15, 2008 - 02:49 AM

I like how you have the good and the bad's are you thinking of having a running diary of this sort? Good, bad miscellaneous?

#8 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 03:10 AM

Miller would be a good addition to this team. His strengths are 3 pt shooting AND court vision and passing, which are the two strengths of Radmanovic and Walton and the reason we can't choose between one or the other. We would have the best of both in him, with the same defect (bad defense). He's too passive sometimes and can't be a second option, much less a first, but that wouldn't be a problem here.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#9 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:19 AM

I like Miller... He can play some D, and flat out shoot, but he disappears during crunch time, and so are his jumpers...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#10 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:24 AM

I like Miller... He can play some D, and flat out shoot, but he disappears during crunch time, and so are his jumpers...

That wouldn't change anything over our current SFs, don't you think?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#11 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:41 AM

Well, if can trade him for BBQ or Space Cadet, sure...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#12 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 15, 2008 - 08:14 AM

Oh wtf, it felt to me like Kobe shot much better from the field! I guess it looked to me like he shot better shots... or maybe cuz he made some 3s I didn't notice as much that he shot 9-24.

We should have won by 30 against the TWolves

Yep Kobe shot poorly yet again. Taking contested shots out of rhythm at unnecessary times has become a trend with him this year. I was thinking 25 point blow out, but alas, another close game til the 4th. And it was the same with the Kings a few days ago. Close games with bad teams make me sick. New York blew out the Kings by 20+ points on Saturday and it wasn't even close the entire second half. Against us, the Kings were in it till at least the middle of the 4th.

#13 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,051 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted December 15, 2008 - 12:15 PM

Great write-up, but I'll have to finish it when I get home. One point I do like you mentioning, though, is the Pick and Roll with Fisher and Bynum. On a related note, I'm a huge proponent of running a little more of the "Bryangle" this season. Bryangle as in Kobe on the wing, but instead of directly trying to feed the post, Pau/Bynum comes out and sets a pick while the weakside of the floor still runs backscreens and curls. There's no way a defense can stop all of that at once, and that's evident in late game situations where Kobe & Pau almost run it exclusively.

I hope Phil begins to incorporate into our 1-3rd quarters. It's a shame, really, because it's darn effective. It creates dribble penetration, open shots, cuts and slashes, and plenty of lob opportunities as you can bet your behind that teams will throw three guys at Kobe to stop him after the pick.

#14 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted December 15, 2008 - 12:23 PM

Good job.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#15 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted December 15, 2008 - 02:21 PM

Lets all get back to round 1 and re strategize our play fellas
Posted Image

Unstoppable
Posted Image

BAM!!!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:20 PM

Nice post, MDI. I must hand it to you because last night's game didn't deserve all your analysis. Mike Miller is an enigma. He looks smooth, talented, smart, a good rebounder, etc., but why is it that as a fan I always like to see the Lakers play against him? Because we usually win against teams he plays on. I don't like him that much for the very reason that he's NOT THAT TOUGH. I am aching for the Lakers to compliment Ariza with a starting small forward who thinks defense first and has that Posey/Rick Fox/Artest toughness about him. Gasol, Bynum and Odom, while long and talented at the 4/5, are softies. We need a thug at the 3 who can also shoot. Everyone in the NBA knows that Gerald Wallace is available and, while he might be a little wild, could be contained by Philip and give us this missing piece that we need.

#17 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:42 PM

Great write-up, but I'll have to finish it when I get home. One point I do like you mentioning, though, is the Pick and Roll with Fisher and Bynum. On a related note, I'm a huge proponent of running a little more of the "Bryangle" this season. Bryangle as in Kobe on the wing, but instead of directly trying to feed the post, Pau/Bynum comes out and sets a pick while the weakside of the floor still runs backscreens and curls. There's no way a defense can stop all of that at once, and that's evident in late game situations where Kobe & Pau almost run it exclusively.

I hope Phil begins to incorporate into our 1-3rd quarters. It's a shame, really, because it's darn effective. It creates dribble penetration, open shots, cuts and slashes, and plenty of lob opportunities as you can bet your behind that teams will throw three guys at Kobe to stop him after the pick.

Thanks. I agree with you. We need more weakside player movement to keep the defense honest and make them pay for sending 3 guys to stop the Pau/Kobe or Drew/Bynum, pick and rolls. Fish can set some solid screens so hopefully that'll free up some guys on the other side.

Good job.

Thank you sir.

Nice post, MDI. I must hand it to you because last night's game didn't deserve all your analysis. Mike Miller is an enigma. He looks smooth, talented, smart, a good rebounder, etc., but why is it that as a fan I always like to see the Lakers play against him? Because we usually win against teams he plays on. I don't like him that much for the very reason that he's NOT THAT TOUGH. I am aching for the Lakers to compliment Ariza with a starting small forward who thinks defense first and has that Posey/Rick Fox/Artest toughness about him. Gasol, Bynum and Odom, while long and talented at the 4/5, are softies. We need a thug at the 3 who can also shoot. Everyone in the NBA knows that Gerald Wallace is available and, while he might be a little wild, could be contained by Philip and give us this missing piece that we need.

Thanks Ken.

The reason I like Miller is because he's doing what Luke + Vlad are doing combined...helping out on the boards, cutting to the basket after passing it to the post, running the offense and making the extra pass and more importantly space the floor with his 3 point shooting. He'd flourish here under Phil since he does everything Phil asks from a starting small forward on the offensive side.

I agree with you he's soft and we could use a 3 who provides toughness but man if we ever got him our offense would be sooo much smoother.

Wallace is a terrific defensive player but he's so injury prone. There is a reason why he's nicknamed "Crash" ;)

Edited by MDI, December 15, 2008 - 04:42 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#18 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:52 PM

Gerald Wallace is a young player who is worth taking that injury risk on. Ariza's injury prone, too. So were Marcus Camby and Antonio McDyess, but they overcame it. As long as Luke or Buzz Kill were still around, and the fact that Kobe can always slide over, it's a gamble worth taking. That kid is flat out strong!

#19 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 04:55 PM

Gerald Wallace is a young player who is worth taking that injury risk on. Ariza's injury prone, too. So were Marcus Camby and Antonio McDyess, but they overcame it. As long as Luke or Buzz Kill were still around, and the fact that Kobe can always slide over, it's a gamble worth taking. That kid is flat out strong!

yea but Ariza isn't earning much. Wallace has a 8 mil contract and still got like 4 more years left in it. If we give up Luke and Radman to get him, I'd do it in a heartbeat :lol: But considering how high the cats are on him, we would have to give up something valuable to get him (Odom is the first that comes to mind). So if Odom is gone and Wallace is shelved, that would be a double loss.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#20 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:12 PM

thanks again for your comments guys

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic