Photo

Laker theories : trades, free agency, deactivations?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 12, 2008 - 05:43 PM

Does anyone else feel like the Lakers may be trying to get another player?
If so , I agree...Lamar is being Lamar and others are showing inconsistency, also Luke starts and Vlad sits, is he trying to showcase the to players that are possibly on the trading block? Is there a desire to trade Sasha, and he got more minutes in the fourth to show his worth?

All those questions aside, I believe the Lakers are close to acquiring another point, that could perhaps put defensive pressure on the ball

and Lamar could be moved for a backup PF at this point...Powell played more than usual

Any other theories?
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#2 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 12, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Mitch Kupchak has always said that he is always looking to improve the team. However, I don't believe for a second that the Lakers are showcasing anyone. Trevor Ariza wasn't made available because they were showcasing Brian Cook and Mo Evans; they traded for him because they loved his potential and knew a lot more about him than we did. Mitch is patient ... perhaps to a fault ... but he doesn't scheme. He does his job and Philip does his job and for the most part they are mutually exclusive. If a deal comes along, it will be because he believes that the Lakers can improve in one or more areas and he won't pull the trigger if it is just trading rooks or bishops.

#3 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 12, 2008 - 07:37 PM

LO and Mihm for Marion :mitch:

#4 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted December 12, 2008 - 08:00 PM

not till we see on the 25th, good measuring game.

#5 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 12, 2008 - 08:12 PM

I say Luke Walton is on the block... Absolute no reason to start him over Radman, Ariza or Odom.... He was getting garbage time minutes then suddenly he starts??

Brian Cook's increase of minutes was also noticeable before getting traded...

Mitch's magic wand??

:mitch:

Edited by Avtomat Kalashnikov, December 12, 2008 - 08:16 PM.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#6 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted December 12, 2008 - 08:44 PM

luke,rad,mihm should be on the block.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#7 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 12, 2008 - 08:51 PM

The only way that the Lakers would get anything for Luke is if they took a bad contract .. one that's worse than his. The reshaping Bobcats have several players who fit that category who could help the Lakers. There was also a rumor that the Trail Blazers like Luke and would offer Channing Frye.

As for Cookie, I stand corrected. He started the last 2 games before he was traded and logged in about 18 minutes or so in each of those games after he had a DNP-Coach's Decision in a blowout against Indiana. Obviously the Magic wanted to see some fresh film of him. Perhaps a deal is in the works.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 12, 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,357 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 12:21 AM

i wouldn't hold my breath

luke only brings 1 of two things

equally bad contract

possible expiring but i more than highly doubt that

or maybe somebody wants him packaged with odom

outside of the untouchables the only players with any value whatsoever are

lamar and farmar

if anyone gets traded its one of those two

but say what you want but luke has the offense running like clock work

6 assists on wednesday and 8 today

luke can do two things and thats pass the ball to spots where people can score and run the triangle offense
Posted Image

#9 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 08:51 AM

first of all only stupid, stupid FANS don't understand what Luke walton brings to a basketball team, but
maybe Vlad is on the block, and I know some of you hate this, but anybody but the four starters would get traded if the right player came along(someone who could stop dribble penetration, or someone who could guard paul pierce/lebron)
But Luke is going to remain viable to us, and he is an incredible player
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#10 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 09:14 AM

I'm a Luke fan, but I was just acknowledging the observation that was made about Cook before he was traded. He started the two games before he was dealt after hardly playing at all last season. I'm thrilled to see Luke play and to see Buzz Kill ride the pine. Luke has a ridiculous five years left on his contract, so it's highly unlikely that anyone would trade for him. But one thing is painfully obvious; if the defense doesn't improve, the Lakers may not get back to the NBA Finals. We may be 19-3, but we're not a 19-3 team right now. If I'm Mitch Kupchak, I'm thinking about doing something about that.

By the way, I disagree with you that a Lakers fan is necessarily "stupid" if he or she feels differently about Luke. He's relatively slow, not athletic, a poor shooter and a mediocre defender and rebounder. He's not athletic. He's cerebral and a great passer, but certainly not essential to this team's success.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, December 13, 2008 - 09:21 AM.

#11 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 09:34 AM

but i waqs making the point that Luke is useful to this team, just as useful on offense as anyone else, it takes all the cogs to move the the wheel, but also i think people would trade for luke, coaches like hubie brown, mike fratello and doug collins speak highly of him, though they arent current coaches, and i think a team with too many shoot-first players(i.e. suns;though Lakers wouldnt trade within there division) would take on Luke, plus he could just get waived by a team, he isnt going to stay where he isnt wanted for money

#12 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,181 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:13 AM

Seems like Phil won't be letting Rad play in the past 2 games.. You think he's gonna be traded soon?

#13 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 13, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Seems like Phil won't be letting Rad play in the past 2 games.. You think he's gonna be traded soon?

possibly..hopefully..
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#14 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 12:33 PM

but i waqs making the point that Luke is useful to this team, just as useful on offense as anyone else, it takes all the cogs to move the the wheel, but also i think people would trade for luke, coaches like hubie brown, mike fratello and doug collins speak highly of him, though they arent current coaches, and i think a team with too many shoot-first players(i.e. suns;though Lakers wouldnt trade within there division) would take on Luke, plus he could just get waived by a team, he isnt going to stay where he isnt wanted for money

It's not that simple at all. He has a ridiculous long term contract that's disproportionate to his value. Sure, in a vacuum, many coaches would want Luke on their team, but no competent GM would want to assume that contract unless he could unload a similar contract of some disgruntled player in a deal. I don't think Luke's going anywhere.

#15 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 02:51 PM

key phrase= competent GM
so about 17 will take his contract
i bet boston or portland would b/c of his high character
plus i think he would agree to a contract buyout

#16 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 13, 2008 - 04:19 PM

Nah, It he was on the block, he should be playing more...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#17 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Marion..........

#18 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:06 AM

^ if a trade occurs, we need a good chemistry guy

#19 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:21 AM

I don't think Luke is on the block, why can't people just be smart about it? We were in need of a tuneup and Phil made a change to the lineup that ended up being a breath of fresh air for our offense. I think he's gonna keep Luke in and see how long this can last. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with a trade.
Basketball Reasons...

#20 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:22 AM

LO and Mihm for Marion :mitch:

As if adding ANOTHER Small Forward would solve anything.

We don't need to make a big trade. We're 19-3, not 3-19.

Doesn't have to be Thanksgiving for you to be thankful for what you got.

Edited by Heir, December 14, 2008 - 09:25 AM.

Basketball Reasons...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users