Pacquiao vs Hatton: May 2

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#181 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 03, 2009 - 10:10 PM

I heard that if Floyd does come back he would have to fight Juan Manuel Marquez first, honestly, I think Marquez would win that battle (he's the ONLY fighter that gave Manny problems), especially since he's been gone for so long .... I would like to see that fight and then see Marquez/Pacquiao 3

It's not a what-if scenario. Mayweather/Marquez is set for July 18.

#182 GEMROC

GEMROC

Independent Queen working for her throne.

• 3,791 posts
  • Name:Cheryle

Posted May 03, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Watching the fight again right now, downstairs.

HAHAHA, I love it! Manny's interviews are always fun. FOB talaga. :lol:

SAN DIEGO STATE AZTECS, boyeee.

Lakers branded | I love life and all its uncertainties. <3 | *TWEET ME:@CheryleLapitan

#183 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted May 03, 2009 - 10:23 PM

It's not a what-if scenario. Mayweather/Marquez is set for July 18.

wow, boxing is n point with the fights right now
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#184 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,514 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 04, 2009 - 08:39 AM

Glad to see all the excitment back in boxing again.
Not sure if anyone can touch Manny now. The guy fights for some much everytime he steps in the ring, not just titles, but for his country & people. And to think if Mayweather gets past JMM, which i believe he will, a showdown between Manny & Floyd would be the biggest fight we've seen since ODH v Jr.
I don't think Hatton is a scrub, Manny just was to good and made him look like one.

2hf753r.jpg

#185 The Gemini Method

The Gemini Method

The Rather Weathered Infamous

• 196 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2009 - 09:37 AM

I caught the fight amongst a plethora of my Filipino friends, and I must say that the spirit they showed during the fight was amazing. It had me wanting to be an honorary member of the Filipinos! It's amazing, though, when you look at it; a young man who was hawking donuts in his hometown for pennies and residing in a shack covered by cardboard to this--winning 12 million dollar fights and getting some well-deserved accolades. No matter the remainder of his career, Pacquiao will definitely be remembered as a great fighter.

To me, a casual boxing fan, he will be remembered not only for his pugilistic skills, but his ability to remain grounded and humble. As if he was still out there scratching a meager living in the Southern part of the Phillipines he remains true to his roots. This is why I root for Manny because he isn't a loudmouth like Money or a showboat type of personality. He gets the job done and is bonafide iconic figure for everyone in the Phillipine archipelago to be proud of.

#186 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 09:39 AM

kill shot...for your viewing pleasure

Posted Image
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#187 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted May 04, 2009 - 11:50 AM

This is off-topic, but I saw a guy in the MGM lobby with a red/white/blue adidas lakers cap and filipino flag on the back. The guy said he won it in a dart tournament. Anyone know where I can get this hat?

Edited by daco_inc, May 04, 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#188 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,514 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 04, 2009 - 12:28 PM

I caught the fight amongst a plethora of my Filipino friends, and I must say that the spirit they showed during the fight was amazing. It had me wanting to be an honorary member of the Filipinos! It's amazing, though, when you look at it; a young man who was hawking donuts in his hometown for pennies and residing in a shack covered by cardboard to this--winning 12 million dollar fights and getting some well-deserved accolades. No matter the remainder of his career, Pacquiao will definitely be remembered as a great fighter.

To me, a casual boxing fan, he will be remembered not only for his pugilistic skills, but his ability to remain grounded and humble. As if he was still out there scratching a meager living in the Southern part of the Phillipines he remains true to his roots. This is why I root for Manny because he isn't a loudmouth like Money or a showboat type of personality. He gets the job done and is bonafide iconic figure for everyone in the Phillipine archipelago to be proud of.

Reasons why i've warmed up to him, even if he has beatin many great mexican boxers.

2hf753r.jpg

#189 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 04, 2009 - 01:58 PM

I don't think Hatton is a scrub, Manny just was to good and made him look like one.

Nope, you're wrong and here's why. Take it from a guy who actually has followed Hatton for a while, not because I like him but because I was curious if he was really as good as they (the media) advertised. & I'll tell you what, I've seen every fight of his after his Mayweather loss and he's been less than impressive. Along the way, there's been several fights where honestly, he could've and probably SHOULD'VE lost.. you know how boxing is sometimes with the fixing or controlling of things to build someone's rep and resume up.. it sucks, but it happens.. i won't give all my reasons why because some of them are controversial, but they're mostly business related, but anyway, even the announcers have said in some of the matches that it should've gone to the other guy or something, but not just that, the scores have been totally lopsided in his favor when they shouldn't even have been.. He even had a fight with Ricardo Mayorga earlier in his career before the Mayweather fight, which he EASILY should've lost, but the judges, announcers, and whole media screwed him over again just because they saw him as their little hero or something and hated mayorga, believe me, sadly, there's favoritism, injustice, and biasness sometimes so things aren't always fair.. and that is why i ALWAYS felt Hatton was SEVERELY overrated and overhyped, and not just FELT, but KNEW..

believe me, if you had seen everything i had seen following him closely, you would have or would agree.. that's why especially i couldn't wait for this fight to prove to the world and to myself that i was correct in manny just absolutely dominating his arse..

shoot, think about this.. for all of those many mexican fighters manny's pounded on, almost all of em' really, have lasted WAY longer than hatton did, hahaha.. speaks of what a true joke he is eh? lmfao! .. i don't hate hatton personally, i just hate that he was so overhyped and overrated and a lot of people who didn't know any better cuz they don't watch all the fights didn't know that or believe me..

#190 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 02:35 PM

Nope, you're wrong and here's why. Take it from a guy who actually has followed Hatton for a while, not because I like him but because I was curious if he was really as good as they (the media) advertised. & I'll tell you what, I've seen every fight of his after his Mayweather loss and he's been less than impressive. Along the way, there's been several fights where honestly, he could've and probably SHOULD'VE lost.. you know how boxing is sometimes with the fixing or controlling of things to build someone's rep and resume up.. it sucks, but it happens.. i won't give all my reasons why because some of them are controversial, but they're mostly business related, but anyway, even the announcers have said in some of the matches that it should've gone to the other guy or something, but not just that, the scores have been totally lopsided in his favor when they shouldn't even have been.. He even had a fight with Ricardo Mayorga earlier in his career before the Mayweather fight, which he EASILY should've lost, but the judges, announcers, and whole media screwed him over again just because they saw him as their little hero or something and hated mayorga, believe me, sadly, there's favoritism, injustice, and biasness sometimes so things aren't always fair.. and that is why i ALWAYS felt Hatton was SEVERELY overrated and overhyped, and not just FELT, but KNEW..

believe me, if you had seen everything i had seen following him closely, you would have or would agree.. that's why especially i couldn't wait for this fight to prove to the world and to myself that i was correct in manny just absolutely dominating his arse..

shoot, think about this.. for all of those many mexican fighters manny's pounded on, almost all of em' really, have lasted WAY longer than hatton did, hahaha.. speaks of what a true joke he is eh? lmfao! .. i don't hate hatton personally, i just hate that he was so overhyped and overrated and a lot of people who didn't know any better cuz they don't watch all the fights didn't know that or believe me..

hatton never fought mayorga bro...and he only fought twice since the mayweather bout...he beat urango and he put a total beatdown of paulie malinaggi....the same paulie malinaggi that Miguel Cotto couldnt put away

the fight that everyone thinks he shoulda lost was to Luis Collazo...who, after his recent bout with highly touted Andre Berto (a bandwagon that im currently on), has his stocks rising

the collazo bout was at '47 BTW
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#191 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 04, 2009 - 02:54 PM

the paulie malinaggi bout was total bs though. i mean did you even see it? it seemed really fishy to say the least. if paulie gave cotto such a hard time, i don't know where the f he was in the bout with hatton. guy wasn't even throwing and when he was, there was no power, i mean NONE whatsoever in his punches.. it seemed like one of those possibly fixed/controlled fights to get hatton's resume even more up and hype him up and everything.. paulie clearly wasn't the same boxer he was against cotto.. it was even sad/disgusting to see, really.. even worse, looked like he wasn't even trying nor cared.. no passion whatsoever.. f'in horrible..

Listen, i'm not trying to take any credit away from pacquiao, it was still an awesome fight for him and win, but all i'm saying is going up to this fight/leading up to it, hatton was way overrated and overhyped by far too many people who must truly not know boxing.. i wasn't surprised at all that pacman dominated and finished him so quickly..

plus, look at my point that i brought up of all the mexican fighters manny beat, none of them came close to being done as quickly as hatton was.. at least they had a way better chin perhaps one could say, they made hatton look even more like a joke.

#192 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:00 PM

the paulie malinaggi bout was total bs though. i mean did you even see it? it seemed really fishy to say the least. if paulie gave cotto such a hard time, i don't know where the f he was in the bout with hatton. guy wasn't even throwing and when he was, there was no power, i mean NONE whatsoever in his punches.. it seemed like one of those possibly fixed/controlled fights to get hatton's resume even more up and hype him up and everything.. paulie clearly wasn't the same boxer he was against cotto.. it was even sad/disgusting to see, really.. even worse, looked like he wasn't even trying nor cared.. no passion whatsoever.. f'in horrible..

Listen, i'm not trying to take any credit away from pacquiao, it was still an awesome fight for him and win, but all i'm saying is going up to this fight/leading up to it, hatton was way overrated and overhyped by far too many people who must truly not know boxing.. i wasn't surprised at all that pacman dominated and finished him so quickly..

plus, look at my point that i brought up of all the mexican fighters manny beat, none of them came close to being done as quickly as hatton was.. at least they had a way better chin perhaps one could say, they made hatton look even more like a joke.

Well pauli dosnt have power he just has speed. and lol at thinking it was fixed. styles make fights hatton just happend to be a bad style for pauli he couldnt handle hattons pressure wich is y he couldnt get his shots off.

Edited by Spooky, May 04, 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#193 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:03 PM

i see what you're sayin...his brit fans have a tendency to overhype their fighters...from danny williams, to junior witter and to amir khan....that's what they do...

in my discussion with spooky, we both agreed that skillwise, hatton didnt crack our top 10s...but the undeniable fact is that he was THE man at 140...never lost a bout in that weight...floyd forced him to fight at '47....hatton was the lineal champ....kostya beat El Gran Campeon Chavez and ricky beat kostya....

he might have been overrated, i have no argument about that, but he was a solid challenge

and to your point about mexican fighters, trust me bro....i've already hit up so many people talkin smack about david diaz....what's up now? david diaz lasted longer than oscar AND ricky

shiiiit....even a washed up Morales lasted longer than Ricky
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#194 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:09 PM

^ Hahaha yeah, glad you could agree, can't see how one couldn't..

Also, to go further with the possible fixing/controlling thing with Hatton's fights to build him up as well as many of those wins coming against non legit competition purposely to build him up, sadly, it kinda hurts to say it, but truth is truth, julio cesar chavez jr may very well be another example, well in fact, he IS.. he's had several fights already where a lot of people, even mexicans themselves believe he should've lost and that there was injustice.. but hey, that's part of boxing, every now and then that happens i guess, especially with certain fighters.. gladly though, one thing's for sure, manny IS the REAL DEAL. no bs about him whatsoever. why else does it seem mayweather's at least a little afraid of him? cuz he knows.. guy isn't that stupid, lol.. hahaa

#195 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:20 PM

^ Hahaha yeah, glad you could agree, can't see how one couldn't..

Also, to go further with the possible fixing/controlling thing with Hatton's fights to build him up as well as many of those wins coming against non legit competition purposely to build him up, sadly, it kinda hurts to say it, but truth is truth, julio cesar chavez jr may very well be another example, well in fact, he IS.. he's had several fights already where a lot of people, even mexicans themselves believe he should've lost and that there was injustice.. but hey, that's part of boxing, every now and then that happens i guess, especially with certain fighters.. gladly though, one thing's for sure, manny IS the REAL DEAL. no bs about him whatsoever. why else does it seem mayweather's at least a little afraid of him? cuz he knows.. guy isn't that stupid, lol.. hahaa

Yeah i agree about chavezjr. He was given a gift against Matt Vanda, he definitely lost that fight.

And yea i agree manny is the real deal Dude is not scared to fight guys twice his size Which is what i love about him.. unlike Floyd who cherry picks his fighters..
The state of boxing is better with manny as #1 p4p then it was when Floyd was.

#196 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:22 PM

Yeah i agree about chavezjr. He was given a gift against Matt Vanda, he definitely lost that fight.

And yea i agree manny is the real deal Dude is not scared to fight guys twice his size Which is what i love about him.. unlike Floyd who cherry picks his fighters..
The state of boxing is better with manny as #1 p4p then it was when Floyd was.

he wont be there long....IMHO, he retires, as he stated, by 2010...it would be the end of a great era
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#197 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:23 PM

he wont be there long....IMHO, he retires, as he stated, by 2010...it would be the end of a great era

He Should be a canidate for fighter of the decade.

#198 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 03:36 PM

He Should be a canidate for fighter of the decade.

agreed....definitely a candidate....it would be him and bernard on that list

but once he steps down, a new era begins....i'm really liking juanma lopez and victor ortiz
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#199 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 06:42 PM

It was a blind haymaker.

I dunno who hatton is, but he seemed like he was the man for the job from that 24/7 [expletive]. But I guess he's just another dude with a glass jaw and 17mil in his pocket.

I would love to see mayweather get a shot at pac man if it were ever possible.

I do not ride the nuts of either fighter. I have not followed any fighter who is a featherweight. Last boxing match I watched before this was Miguel Coto vs that one mexican dude who pads his gloves and got caught cheating... Margarita I think his name was.

I am more into MMA (I live in the 909, so it's by default.) and I have studied martial arts (hapkido) for years.

I do not need to be an EXPERT trained fighter to obviously see Hatton didn't even have his legs after the first knock down punch, he rolled his ankles with every power punch and locked up to regain his equilibrium.

And then getting smacked around before the 2nd round, he was already broken trying to keep it together. Throwing cheap shot after cheap shot at pac man.

Like I said, he was not dodging a punch and throwing a haymaker at the same time, it's just like Rashad Evans when he got that lucky chin shot on chuck liddell, he wasn't throwing the knockout punch, it's just the follow through to his jab luckily connected and liddell put his weight into it and went night night.

If hatton would've been on his game, he wouldn't of froze up like that in close quarters and ate that knuckle sandwich is all i'm saying.

:o

#200 Mikey on TLN

Mikey on TLN

Rookie

• 114 posts

Posted May 04, 2009 - 07:38 PM

Watch our Pacquiao Party!! Pretty amusing but man we love the dude. Hope you enjoy it! haha

Link: http://vimeo.com/4481660
Posted Image
My Facebook : Click
Posted Image
How could you not fall in love with her...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users