218 replies to this topic

#1 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:07 PM

It's coming later than usual, but Las Vegas' first big boxing event of the year is set for May 2 between Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton.

The venue remains undecided. The MGM Grand is interested in hosting the fight, as is Planet Hollywood owner Robert Earl, who is teaming with Steve Wynn in a bid to have their properties co-host the bout.

If the MGM lands Pacquiao-Hatton, it would be at the hotel's 16,270-seat Grand Garden Arena. If Planet Hollywood and Wynn are selected, the 18,500-seat Thomas & Mack Center would be the venue.

The fight is expected to air on pay per view on either HBO or Showtime and will be co-promoted by Top Rank, which handles Pacquiao, and Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Hatton.

"We might know something by Friday if the properties get their latest proposals to us," Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said Wednesday. "Both fighters' fans love to come here, and May 2 was a perfect date with Cinco de Mayo weekend and the Kentucky Derby."

Hatton's Ring Magazine and IBO 140-pound junior middleweight titles will be at stake. Pacquiao, who fought successfully at 130, 135 and 147 pounds in 2008, never has fought at 140.

Richard Sturm, MGM president of entertainment and sports, said his hotel is serious about landing the fight.

''We feel it's an excellent event to host," Sturm said. "We're trying to get a deal that works for both sides."

A Planet Hollywood spokesperson confirmed that Earl is trying to bring the fight to his property but declined further comment.

Both fighters are coming off impressive wins at the MGM Grand. Pacquiao (48-3-2) routed Oscar De La Hoya on Dec. 6 at 147 pounds, scoring a technical knockout when De La Hoya quit before the start of the ninth round. Hatton (45-1) dominated Paulie Malignaggi in an 11th-round technical knockout win Nov. 22.

http://www.lvrj.com/...s/37258894.html

Edited by daco_inc, January 23, 2009 - 12:30 AM.

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:41 PM

do it

#3 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 11:41 PM

Bring it. You can't help but root for Pacquiao, the guy is such a nice, humble, and regular guy. He gives so much back to the community both in the USA and back in the Philippines. He's a national hero for us.

#4 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 14, 2008 - 03:04 PM

true that^

#5 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 15, 2008 - 09:19 AM

An apparent Pacquiao insider made a good point about fighting Mayweather before Hatton:

The Source tells Philstar: “Floyd is the wise fight. Why? Because even if we lose to Mayweather, the Hatton fight will still be there.”

The source, who represents Team Pacquiao went on to add: “But if we fight Hatton first, and we lose, do you think the Mayweather fight will still be there? No. That sets up a Hatton-Mayweather rematch.”

#6 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:39 AM

They need to let Floyd take a couple of tuneups….i can already hear the ‘ring rust’ excuses if manny pulls it off
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#7 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:43 AM

I wanted Manny and Floyd but I think Hatton would be fun also. Do it!!

#8 Chameleon

Chameleon

STIFF

• 147 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:47 AM

I love me some Pacman for years and years now, but I don't think Hatton would be a wise fight. I'm pretty sure Pacman would get owned. I would still watch and root for him though.

#9 Mike24

Mike24

Rookie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:52 AM

I love me some Pacman for years and years now, but I don't think Hatton would be a wise fight. I'm pretty sure Pacman would get owned. I would still watch and root for him though.

I agree, it would be a good fight until Hatton probably knocks him out...

#10 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 10:52 AM

They need to let Floyd take a couple of tuneups….i can already hear the ‘ring rust’ excuses if manny pulls it off

Well, I think that goes with coming out of retirement. The reason why he's coming out is so he can fight Pacquiao. He wants Pacquiao, give him Pacquiao.

My $0.02

#11 Chameleon

Chameleon

STIFF

• 147 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:04 AM

I agree, it would be a good fight until Hatton probably knocks him out...

Yeah Mike, Pacman has an indisputable abundance of heart but these guys are just entirely different monsters. Floyd would pick him apart. I mean, Pacman is amazing but he just fought an old man so let's not go getting all loco. It will be interesting to see what Pac does next. I so hope he comes out with another CD before he does anything else hahahaha

#12 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:19 AM

LOL @ hatton picking manny apart
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#13 Chameleon

Chameleon

STIFF

• 147 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:24 AM

LOL @ hatton picking manny apart

Hmmm, to who?

I said Hatton would own Pacman and that Floyd would pick him apart. That's Floyd's style. Either way, my personal wish would be that Pacman would kick Hatton's azz but I just don't think it's very realistic is all. Not at this point in time anyway.

#14 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hmmm, to who?

I said Hatton would own Pacman and that Floyd would pick him apart. That's Floyd's style. Either way, my personal wish would be that Pacman would kick Hatton's azz but I just don't think it's very realistic is all. Not at this point in time anyway.

I think its more than realistic…Manny would probably even open up at 2-1….Manny isn’t Paulie Malignaggi…Hatton has had his troubles with speedy fighters (PBF) and southpaws (collazo)…Manny is both…aside Hattons impressive win against Paulie (who couldn’t punch himself out of a wet paperbag), he hasn’t looked dominant since the Castillo fight….IMO, it would be the David Diaz fight all over again
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#15 Chameleon

Chameleon

STIFF

• 147 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:34 AM

Well hopefully we will see then...and although my hope will be with Pacquiao my money won't

#16 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 11:43 AM

Well hopefully we will see then...and although my hope will be with Pacquiao my money won't

all good...i think they're lookin at a fight in march or april....should be a great fight

in other news, Winky just signed to fight Paul Williams in march....
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#17 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 17, 2008 - 03:09 PM

Hatton is SEVERELY overrated. One of the most protected fighters I've ever seen. I would LOVE to see Pacquiao knock his arse out and I KNOW he would do it, easily.

#18 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Hatton is SEVERELY overrated. One of the most protected fighters I've ever seen. I would LOVE to see Pacquiao knock his arse out and I KNOW he would do it, easily.

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan "baby bull' Diaz is signed for 09 :rock:
margarito vs mosley is signed for 09 :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#19 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 05:08 PM

done deal :rock:

By Mark Vester

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has revealed that a mega-clash between Manny Pacquiao (48-3-2, 36 KOs) and Ricky Hatton (45-1, 32 KOs) is close to a done deal for May 2, with Las Vegas being the frontrunner to host the event. The fight will take place at the junior welterweight limit of 140-pounds.

"I'm encouraged by the way it's going, and I'm talking to the Hattons (on Friday) again," Schaefer said to the AP. "You really have two of the most popular fighters of their generation fighting each other, and that's the kind of fight we want to make."

After Pacquiao knocked out Oscar De La Hoya on December 6 and Hatton was able to stop Paulie Malignaggi in November - both fighters focused on each other. Schaefer says the rabid fans of Pacquiao and the wild Manchester crowd that follows Hatton by the thousands will make the fight a global event. Golden Boy, along with Pacquiao's promoter Top Rank, are pushing for the fight to land in Las Vegas.

"This is a fight with tremendous global appeal, and both of them have built up a very strong following here," Schaefer said. "With Manny's following in Asia and Ricky's support in Europe, you could say Las Vegas is the center of everything."

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ boxingscene@hotmail.com
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#20 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 18, 2008 - 05:11 PM

Let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeee!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users