Photo

Kobe Mailing it in and Phil's Master Plan?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Max

Max

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 11, 2008 - 06:22 AM

The Black Mamba once again failed to be the Black Mamba last night as we slipped past the Suns. Yesterday I pondered the question is Kobe starting to look washed up (I don't care what the numbers say...and they're not that great anyways, Kobe is not playing like Kobe this year). Tonight, he once again left many of his jumpers off the front of the rim, never really tried to get to the rack, and displayed another lackluster effort on defense. One of my homies watching the game last night went on a panic rant, and started shouting complete ridiculousness about how Kobe is indeed washed up, and how Pau is our new number 1. My other friend and I started to think about this, and we came to this conclusion...

1) Kobe is NOT washed up, maybe a bit fatigued from the 1.75 seasons that he played last year, but not washed up...That being said he's not playing particularly great, but it seems to me that he's settling. He's settling for the mid-range shot, he's settling to let Fish' take inexplicable pull up jumpers, he's settling and dishing to 'The Machine' when the game is on the line, and to be honest there were about 250 times when Kobe genuinely looked like he'd rather be playing Guitar Hero World Tour.

2) Kobe might be mailing it in...What the Mamba not going 100%? Yessir, that's right I came to the conclusion that Kobe is more than resting his legs for the post season--he's not even really using them. We all know that Kobe can close a game whenever he wants, or get a shot whenever he wants, but last night it seemed what he wanted to do was pass it to somebody. Even when the game was on the line it never really looked like Kobe was trying to close the game in that epic fashion. Yes, Kobe is settling for mid-range jumpers, yes his 3 ball sucks 'LeBrick' James style, and yes he's coasting and gambling on D', but I really don't feel like Kobe has even flipped the assassin switch, and went into Mamba mode once.

3) Phil is the reason...Does anybody realize that against he Queens Phil let the lead get to like 18 in the 4th before he even called a damn timeout. Wtf Phillip, who does that? However, Phil never really does anything by accident (evidenced by his infamous in-game interview sarcasm) and I'd bet that behind the scenes Phil and Kobe are holding secret meditation meetings where both are on some etherial plane; thinking about how we can get the 'Bench Mob' to not go in the tank in crunch time. I'm convinced of this, and damn it while we may not win 72...and don't say that TLN wasn't thinking about this...we'll have a damn good shot at the Larry O'Brien trophy.

The Lakers FTW!

#2 blink-one

blink-one

Rookie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Fan Since:newborn
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:23 AM

Kobe hasn't been Kobe. He's been struggling from the field and really has not looked for his shoot that much. He just might be too tired from the Summer Olympics. I just hope that he's just taking it down a gear when he's facing bad teams and he brings it up for the elite teams.

#3 firefox

firefox

Rookie

• Pip
  • 445 posts
  • Fan Since:'47
  • Fav. Laker:George Mikan

Posted December 11, 2008 - 08:43 AM

Kobe hasn't been Kobe. He's been struggling from the field and really has not looked for his shoot that much. He just might be too tired from the Summer Olympics. I just hope that he's just taking it down a gear when he's facing bad teams and he brings it up for the elite teams.

Typical Kobe game K. Bryant G 6-16

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted December 11, 2008 - 09:15 AM

1) Kobe is NOT washed up, maybe a bit fatigued from the 1.75 seasons that he played last year, but not washed up...That being said he's not playing particularly great, but it seems to me that he's settling. He's settling for the mid-range shot, he's settling to let Fish' take inexplicable pull up jumpers, he's settling and dishing to 'The Machine' when the game is on the line, and to be honest there were about 250 times when Kobe genuinely looked like he'd rather be playing Guitar Hero World Tour.

He isnt washed up like you said. I think its one of two three things. One, he is fatigued. He really hasnt had a break since the Finals last June. Two, hes pacing himself for the rest of the season and feels he has that luxury because of the players around him. This would explain careless passes, lazy plays, and letting Grant Hill make him look like Smush Parker. Three, his finger is in worse shape because he didn't get the surgery. Many forget that he does indeed have a messed up finger. It could potentially be bothering him to the point where his shots are short or on a line.

2) Kobe might be mailing it in...What the Mamba not going 100%? Yessir, that's right I came to the conclusion that Kobe is more than resting his legs for the post season--he's not even really using them. We all know that Kobe can close a game whenever he wants, or get a shot whenever he wants, but last night it seemed what he wanted to do was pass it to somebody. Even when the game was on the line it never really looked like Kobe was trying to close the game in that epic fashion. Yes, Kobe is settling for mid-range jumpers, yes his 3 ball sucks 'LeBrick' James style, and yes he's coasting and gambling on D', but I really don't feel like Kobe has even flipped the assassin switch, and went into Mamba mode once.

Like I said above, it could be a case of pacing himself for the rest of the season. He has the players around him so maybe he feels they can pick up the slack.

3) Phil is the reason...Does anybody realize that against he Queens Phil let the lead get to like 18 in the 4th before he even called a damn timeout. Wtf Phillip, who does that? However, Phil never really does anything by accident (evidenced by his infamous in-game interview sarcasm) and I'd bet that behind the scenes Phil and Kobe are holding secret meditation meetings where both are on some etherial plane; thinking about how we can get the 'Bench Mob' to not go in the tank in crunch time. I'm convinced of this, and damn it while we may not win 72...and don't say that TLN wasn't thinking about this...we'll have a damn good shot at the Larry O'Brien trophy.

Phil Jackson is a hall of fame coach. He has been letting his teams play through their mistakes his entire coaching career. Its nothing new to what he is doing.

#5 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 11, 2008 - 11:18 AM

BTW, I feel a trade coming.

02:03pm ET
12/11/2008

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted December 11, 2008 - 11:21 AM

GCMD I feel the same.

Why do you feel the way you do though? haha. I have my reasons.

#7 imfasterthanur

imfasterthanur

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant (#8 Version)

Posted December 11, 2008 - 11:23 AM

"to be honest there were about 250 times when Kobe genuinely looked like he'd rather be playing Guitar Hero World Tour."

HAHA! That was an awesome commercial btw. Watching Michael Phelps and Alex Rodriguez completely spas out on the couches was freaking hysterical!

In reference to Phil Jackson's master plan, I couldn't agree with you anymore. Everyone knows Kobe can close when he wants to and everyone knows he has that "assassin switch" like you mentioned. Despite sounding naive, I feel like Jackson and Bryant have somewhat turned it down in order for others to truly step it up and perform during crunch-time - AKA they are planning for long-term success.

Is that a farfetched hypothesis? Maybe. But then again, I would NOT be surprised if this was true judging on Phil Jackson's track record of pulling some unorthodox strategies. This could possibly be his version of a rope-a-dope, staying fresh as other teams fight and expend everything they've got.

Of course these are just assumptions because Kobe does miss some relatively easy-looking shots from time to time (easy for him but not for an Asian like me), those are inexcusable. BUT, it's become obvious that he is not throwing out his entire arsenal of scoring repertoire.

Something Derek Fishy is going on in Laker land and I pray to god I'm not just making excuses. haha

#8 rissa missa

rissa missa

i <3 Kobe

• 938 posts

Posted December 11, 2008 - 11:40 AM

i agree that Kobe has not played well these past few games. but it could be that he's just pacing himself as opposed to mailing it in. it's a long season and i believe that Kobe will be there when it counts.

Edited by rissa missa, December 11, 2008 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users