#1 Max

Max

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 10, 2008 - 12:59 PM

Kobe doesn't look the same this year. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with the Black Mamba, but he doesn't look like the Kobe Bryant that played last year, or the Kobe pre-Celtics series. What he's looking like right now is a Kobe Bryant that's played way too many games in his career and might be starting to lose his legs. I realize that his PER is better than it was last year at this point, and his overall FG% is actually better than last year, but his 3pt% is abysmal by Kobe's standards. If you look at his mid-distance/long range shot he seems to be pushing everything. Mainy of his 3pt attempts are bouncing right off the front of the rim, and that's usually a sign of a player who doesn't have legs anymore. He clearly isn't as explosive as he was even a couple of years ago, and I'm really worried. Are we seeing the demise of the Black Mamba? Somebody give me some hope.

Also, teams look like they have most definitely figured out our strong side zone. Our D' completely breaks down the moment anybody inserts a quick PG, who can dribble penetrate and draw and extra defender a la AI. This alarming weakness was highlighted first against the Pistons as AI continuously got into the lane, drew and extra defender, and then dished to wide open 3pt shooter, or the left open big man. WTF? We don't have anybody who can contain a quick PG. Jordan Farmar's perimeter D is atrocious, and Fish' isn't quick enough to stay with the likes of anybody with some wheels.

Edited by Max, December 10, 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 10, 2008 - 01:06 PM

Kobe is fine. He just had a monster reverse just the other night. LeBron's three wasn't falling for a while, going 0-19 or something of that sort to start the season. You're looking too much into Kobe's struggles, which haven't been that repetitive in the 20 games we've played.

As for our point guards, neither of them have lateral quickness, and neither of them are fit for the triangle (Fisher used to be, but he's throwing up some odd shots lately, and I don't know if that comes with aging or what). Defensively, we all knew they weren't any good. Fisher has been flopping for the longest time, while Farmar's gambles get us in trouble quite a bit, as does his decision to force a guy the wrong direction (and wrong direction for us, by the way).

Our PG play is in the bottom five in the league, in offense and defense combined. Kobe may not be the best two-guard in the NBA at this time (statistically, that goes to D-Wade), but if it was required for him to take over a full game, there's no doubt in my mind he could still give 30 a night, easily. You have to consider the main goal of his, though...not personal accolades, but a championship.

#3 imfasterthanur

imfasterthanur

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant (#8 Version)

Posted December 10, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Being a huge kobe fan, I'll ignore the PG question for another day :P .

I guess there are numerous factors that can attribute to Kobe Bryant's relatively weaker play.

For one, don't forget that Bryant played a lot, and I mean A LOT, of basketball last year. Carrying the lakers through a rigorous 82 game season, playing crazy-intense basketball throughout the playoffs, going all the way to game-6 against the Celtics ( :angry: ), playing every exhibition and medal game throughout the Olympics in Beijing, as well as exhibition games of this years season (tweaking a knee in the process). I don't have the numbers, but I am pretty sure that not a single NBA player has played as much basketball as he has within the past year - justifying the TEMPORARILY lack of fresh legs and an increased reliance on pulling up for jump shots instead of being aggressive to the basket.

Second, Kobe opted out of surgery for his finger this past summer. I don't know the severity of that injury, especially since he doesn't wear that infamous finger sleeve anymore, but that could be a reason for the "pushing of shots" that you referred too earlier, hurting the natural rotation of the Mamba's stroke - but of course, this is just an assumption since no one has updated us fans about the injury.

The third reason, I'd have to say could be attributed to psychological adjustments. Ever since the post-Shaq era, Kobe has had to carry the Lakers with his killer-instinct, take no prisoners role on offense and defense. Now that he has a strong supporting cast, he obviously doesn't have to do as much. Because of that, quite honestly I still feel that Kobe Bryant is still adjusting to his new role as a facilitator which he hasn't completely balanced/figured out yet. It's always easier to get "hot" when you start early and have a feel for the defender/defense in front of you early on in the game. These days, Kobe is looking to pass first and score later, and this attitude seems to inhibit his psyche from just blowing by and scoring on opposing defenses early, and letting it carry on to the second half (EX: last night).

P.S If that is enough. I have an A**hole of a Korean friend that wears purple hyperdunks and a Laker hat on every gameday. He didn't wear it yesterday, choosing to wear Jordans instead (what a prick), and what do you know, Kobe has one of the worst shooting days of this early season. :badmood:

But seriously, I think Kobe will be fine. He has had flashes of excellence this season so you know he hasn't completely lost it. Plus, Phil has minimized his minutes (going from last year's 10th in most minutes played to 62th this year) giving me hope that he will turn it on in the latter half of the season. And if that doesn't work, maybe he could switch back to #8 so he remembers the power of 81 points.

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,929 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:06 PM

Being a huge kobe fan, I'll ignore the PG question for another day :P .

I guess there are numerous factors that can attribute to Kobe Bryant's relatively weaker play.

For one, don't forget that Bryant played a lot, and I mean A LOT, of basketball last year. Carrying the lakers through a rigorous 82 game season, playing crazy-intense basketball throughout the playoffs, going all the way to game-6 against the Celtics ( :angry: ), playing every exhibition and medal game throughout the Olympics in Beijing, as well as exhibition games of this years season (tweaking a knee in the process). I don't have the numbers, but I am pretty sure that not a single NBA player has played as much basketball as he has within the past year - justifying the TEMPORARILY lack of fresh legs and an increased reliance on pulling up for jump shots instead of being aggressive to the basket.

Second, Kobe opted out of surgery for his finger this past summer. I don't know the severity of that injury, especially since he doesn't wear that infamous finger sleeve anymore, but that could be a reason for the "pushing of shots" that you referred too earlier, hurting the natural rotation of the Mamba's stroke - but of course, this is just an assumption since no one has updated us fans about the injury.

The third reason, I'd have to say could be attributed to psychological adjustments. Ever since the post-Shaq era, Kobe has had to carry the Lakers with his killer-instinct, take no prisoners role on offense and defense. Now that he has a strong supporting cast, he obviously doesn't have to do as much. Because of that, quite honestly I still feel that Kobe Bryant is still adjusting to his new role as a facilitator which he hasn't completely balanced/figured out yet. It's always easier to get "hot" when you start early and have a feel for the defender/defense in front of you early on in the game. These days, Kobe is looking to pass first and score later, and this attitude seems to inhibit his psyche from just blowing by and scoring on opposing defenses early, and letting it carry on to the second half (EX: last night).

P.S If that is enough. I have an A**hole of a Korean friend that wears purple hyperdunks and a Laker hat on every gameday. He didn't wear it yesterday, choosing to wear Jordans instead (what a prick), and what do you know, Kobe has one of the worst shooting days of this early season. :badmood:

But seriously, I think Kobe will be fine. He has had flashes of excellence this season so you know he hasn't completely lost it. Plus, Phil has minimized his minutes (going from last year's 10th in most minutes played to 62th this year) giving me hope that he will turn it on in the latter half of the season. And if that doesn't work, maybe he could switch back to #8 so he remembers the power of 81 points.

Welcome and great first post :rock:

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:19 PM

ok i'm sick of this we see this every year in the beginning of the season

has kobe lost it

then come january kobe looks like an MVP

keep in mind kobe wasn't even considered a legitimate candidate last year til about january
Posted Image

#6 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:20 PM

as for PG play i would love raymond felton right about now
Posted Image

#7 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:22 PM

There's nothing wrong with Kobe, just our PG play.

#8 Max

Max

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Thanks imfasterthanur, for an insightful reasoning behind Kobe's "losing it." Also i feel your pain...I have an a**hole of a Filipino friend who wears a KB24 Lakers hat on gamedays, and when he does KB24 has scored 30+ in every game. Perhaps the reason for Kobe's lackluster game last night was him not wearing his KB24 hat. :angry:

Edited by Max, December 10, 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,929 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 02:58 PM

check this out

Posted Image

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 03:00 PM

There's nothing wrong with Kobe, just our PG play.

There's nothing wrong with Kobe, just our PG play, mental strength, physicality, coaching and transitional defense.

Fixed.

:lol: ;)
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#11 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 10, 2008 - 05:38 PM

pg play problem focuses on the fact that there are only two pgs, and if one gets hurt, we really are in trouble, but fish and farmar have played very good for us overall this year, am I right or wrong?
17-3 people, thats not bad.
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#12 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 10, 2008 - 07:40 PM

Of course he doesn't look the same anymore. He's not wearing the sleeve. :P

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#13 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 07:41 PM

There's nothing wrong with Kobe, just our PG play, mental strength, physicality, coaching and transitional defense.

Fixed.

:lol: ;)

darn tootin. we need to stop clowning around.

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:13 PM

pg play problem focuses on the fact that there are only two pgs, and if one gets hurt, we really are in trouble, but fish and farmar have played very good for us overall this year, am I right or wrong?
17-3 people, thats not bad.

17-3 but 4-2 in our last 6 games

which for our talent is unacceptable especially considering the competition

pacers
76ers
wizards
bucks
kings
suns

i mean if we are a championship team we should have at the very least weent 5-1 if not 6-0

i guarantee the cavs or boston goes 6-0 in that stretch

championship teams beat the teams they are supposed to and play competitive to winning basketball against teams on their level
Posted Image

#15 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:16 PM

check this out

Posted Image

lol where'd u get this?

#16 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:21 PM

Those are some crazy stats. Didn't realize Kobe was at #2 either.

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,099 posts

Posted December 10, 2008 - 11:26 PM

the suprising one is center

so bynum and gasol together both make-up a better center than dwight howard interesting
Posted Image

#18 xplodde

xplodde

Rookie

• 29 posts
  • Name:J.P
  • Fan Since:Before I was reincarnated
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 11, 2008 - 02:30 AM

Kobe had said it before that somehow and for some reason that he just doesn't play as good as how he wanted to be during early of the season through December. It was an interview that he had. at the start of January that's the time when he plays really well. Now if I can confirm this with stats or somebody. So I'm not to worried with him. oh by the way I'm a newbie :clap:

#19 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,575 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted December 11, 2008 - 02:33 AM

Kobe struggling with his jump shot right now. His pinky is not the problem, his legs are not wearing out on him and its not age that's catching up to him. Its his shot selection.

#20 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 11, 2008 - 03:48 AM

the suprising one is center

so bynum and gasol together both make-up a better center than dwight howard interesting

More surprising is SF... 9th? :nervous:
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users