Is Pau the best Laker these last days?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 04:18 PM

Pau has been the most consistent Laker so far, but not the most valuable. Kobe is still the MVP of this team. Half of Gasol's points have come by the way of easy layup's and dunks due to the opposing team defense swarming Kobe.
Kobe makes everything easy for his team, as he is always the defense's target and as they collapse on him, that frees up everyone else. Don't get me wrong, Gasol has been great for us this season, but since he is scoring, Kobe doesn't have to do the things he had to do before.

#42 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 13, 2008 - 04:37 PM

Pau has been the most consistent Laker so far, but not the most valuable. Kobe is still the MVP of this team. Half of Gasol's points have come by the way of easy layup's and dunks due to the opposing team defense swarming Kobe.
Kobe makes everything easy for his team, as he is always the defense's target and as they collapse on him, that frees up everyone else. Don't get me wrong, Gasol has been great for us this season, but since he is scoring, Kobe doesn't have to do the things he had to do before.

You can also factor in Kobe's poor choices on offense (difficult, contested shots, goes into "Kobe mode" at unnecessary times) and on defense (roaming and leaving his man open, playing the passing lanes way too much, no longer having that "shut down the best player on the other team" mentality). You would think since Kobe doesn't have to do things he had to do before that he would play a lot smarter, and more efficient. Instead, he's become more reckless.

#43 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 13, 2008 - 09:51 PM

Kobe's defense hasn't been anything special. Actually, none of the Laker defense has been too special aside from Ariza.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#44 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 14, 2008 - 08:59 AM

^ Ariza defense has only consisted of steals, he's not shutting any opponent out^ but I think him, KObe and Luke are playing the best D by far this year
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#45 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 14, 2008 - 09:24 AM

^ Ariza defense has only consisted of steals, he's not shutting any opponent out^ but I think him, KObe and Luke are playing the best D by far this year

Kobe is playing mediocre defense. And Luke is playing defense? LOL

Also, Center/PF defense always has a greater impact than wing defense. Always.

#46 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:43 AM

I don't know how you can say Kobe is playing better defense than Ariza considering they both try to do the same things out there, but Kobe fails way more than Ariza does. And I don't have any idea where Luke came from.

This year, Pau is currently our best offensive player, and Ariza is our best wing defender. It'll probably hurt for you to realize that, but it's the truth. It'll probably change later in the year, but so far Kobe is not tops in offense or defense.

Edited by daco_inc, December 14, 2008 - 10:47 AM.

#47 xplayforrealx

xplayforrealx

Rookie

• 350 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Sasha Vujacic

Posted December 14, 2008 - 10:44 AM

Of course you hope that happens. Kobe's legacy is more important than us winning to you.

lol good one.

Kobe's defense has been mediocre. He's been gambling too much..

Edited by xplayforrealx, December 14, 2008 - 10:46 AM.

Mike Breen: Walton can tip it. Bryant with the save.
Hubie Brown: Oh you gotta get a shot here
Mike Breen: Final Seconds.. Bryant for the win, BANG!

Your signature violates forum guidelines.

#48 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 14, 2008 - 11:44 AM

well i said ariza's has been better, but Kobe disrupts other people's man, and no one recovers to Kobe man...and Ariza hasnt shown me anything but sneaky D, not hard-nosed grizzled D like Kobe on Artest in the houston game, but Ariza has been the best overall Defensive player, Bynum 2nd, KObe third, fisher 4th and Luke in limited PT 5th
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#49 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 05:45 PM

i must admit, that Pau has been the most consistent Laker...but not the BEST as the thread suggests

#50 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 15, 2008 - 05:57 PM

I hate the argument that Gasol's production is a result of Kobe Bryant. Could that be true? Yes. But then we can say that Kobe's MVP season was a result of Pau Gasol being traded to the Lakers.

This season, the best Laker is PAU GASOL. Kobe is kobe but Pau Gasol has been more consistent this season. Hes made less mistakes then Kobe has, less turnovers then Kobe. Pau gasol is shooting a better percentage then Kobe.

Pau Gasol is the best player on the Lakers so far this season.

#51 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted December 15, 2008 - 06:06 PM

^Well Kobe hasn't been Kobe so far this year. You see flashes of the Kobe we all know and love, but he's been inconsistent on both ends of the court. When Kobe is Kobe, he will be the best player on this team, but right now, that's Pau's title. And the shooting %age stat isn't really comparable since one plays close to the basket, and the other shoots all over the court. Even if Kobe stopped with the bad shots and chose his spots wisely, his shooting %-age would still be lower than Gasol's.

#52 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 16, 2008 - 08:28 AM

I find it laughable that anybody would think that Pau's putting up this kind of production because of Kobe. Pau is the leader of the Spanish basketball team, and certainly does not have the talent the US team does and still his team is top 3 every single year.

Pau also led thin teams to the playoffs every year when he was with the Grizzlies. If you look at his numbers, they have been constant his whole career. The only noticeable change is FG%.

#53 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 17, 2008 - 06:37 PM

^ not every year, but three straight...but where was he vs. the knicks,lol...seriously though, great players make other players better, and pau and kobe do that to each other

#54 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted December 17, 2008 - 06:49 PM

pau has been putting up these kind of numbers his entire career, hes been the most consistent laker this year, imo i think hes been actually the best lakers this year due to his efficiency and his numbers
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#55 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 17, 2008 - 06:55 PM

pau averages 18.8 and 8rpg his career on 51%, so that big increase in fg % isnt due to easy shots set up by(a) the triangle offense and (B) the attention kobe bryant garners on a daily basis

#56 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 19, 2008 - 12:34 AM

Been the best & most consistent Laker the whole season so far in my book.

#57 Flobe24

Flobe24

Rookie

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Fan Since:The 80's
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James

Posted December 19, 2008 - 10:41 AM

I love Pau. But let's not get it twisted. Ask any GM in the NBA who they would take off this Laker team and it would be Kobe Bryant. Sure Kobe's numbers are down, but its an adjustment that I believe Phil has implemented. Boston basically took Kobe out of the equation late in games or when it mattered the most. I heard a lot of talk about how Pau was soft during the finals vs. Boston. I think the emphasis on Pau getting the ball is to prepare him for the playoffs. Where teams will try to cut off the head (Kobe) and hope the rest of the team will wither away. Pau has definitely been the most consistent Laker, but could he have made the 3 in the corner late against the Knicks to tie the game?
Can't wait to get a pair of these!

#58 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:18 PM

^ thats what i mean

#59 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:45 PM

For the last time, no one is saying Pau is an overall better player than Kobe. No one has anything "twisted". Of course they would take Kobe over Pau. He's, arguably, the best player in the world. But the fact is, Kobe hasn't been consistent. It isn't about Kobe's numbers dropping. It's about him visibly making sloppy plays and mistakes on both sides of the court. People seriously need to stop blaming Kobe's inconsistent play on other people. He's hasn't been his best so far this year and that's all on him. He's the one taking unnecessary bad shots on offense. He's the one gambling every other play on defense. Pau has been consistent. Pau has played well basically every single game. That's why as far as this season goes, he's been the best Laker on the floor.

Kobe fans can't see the difference between "being the better overall player" and "playing better". Kobe is the better player. But so far this season, Pau has been playing better.

Edited by daco_inc, December 19, 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#60 Derelict

Derelict

Rookie

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Mr. West

Posted December 19, 2008 - 06:56 PM

For the last time, no one is saying Pau is an overall better player than Kobe. No one has anything "twisted". Of course they would take Kobe over Pau. He's, arguably, the best player in the world. But the fact is, Kobe hasn't been consistent. It isn't about Kobe's numbers dropping. It's about him visibly making sloppy plays and mistakes on both sides of the court. People seriously need to stop blaming Kobe's inconsistent play on other people. He's hasn't been his best so far this year and that's all on him. He's the one taking unnecessary bad shots on offense. He's the one gambling every other play on defense. Pau has been consistent. Pau has played well basically every single game. That's why as far as this season goes, he's been the best Laker on the floor.

Kobe fans can't see the difference between "being the better overall player" and "playing better". Kobe is the better player. But so far this season, Pau has been playing better.

Kobe Fans? You mean Mr. Bryant's Ball-Washers are unable to see the truth that Pau Gasol is our team MVP. Pau Gasol does not gamble on defense, Pau Gasol does not roam around looking for a steal for a fastbreak opportunity just so he can make it to sportscenter. Pau Gasol is a TEAM PLAYER... Pau Gasol IS PLAYING WAY BETTER THAN Mr. Bryant.
If you're unhappy with Derelict, please show your displeasure by driving with your lights off at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users