Photo

The Lakers: most talented team in league?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 06, 2008 - 09:55 PM

I pose the question Laker nation, do we have the most talented group of individuals on paper?
My answer is a resounding no. When I compare us to teams around the league...I am surprised by our record,because it would seem that other teams would be able to beat us, from a talent standpoint...for example
LAKERS
Main backcourt players:Fish, Kobe, Sasha and Farmar
Main front court: Pau, Bynum, LO, Ariza, Vlad
notable reserves: Luke, Mihm, powell
CAVS
Main Back:Mo williams, Delonte west, Daniel Gibson, wally z
Main front: Ben Wallace, Big Z, Lebron, Varejo
notables: Pavlovic, hickson
CELTICS
MBC: Ray allen, rondo, house, tony allen
Front: KG, Perkins,Powe, Pierce
notables: big baby, scalebrine
PISTONS
MBC: iverson, hamilton, stuckey affalo
Back: rasheed , kwame, mcdyess(maybe), prince, maxiell, amir johnson
notables:herrmann, will bynum
ROCKETS
MBC-alston , mcgrady, brooks
Front court:Yao, Artest, Battier, Scola, Landry
notables: Luther Head, Brent Barry, Chuck Hayes
HORNETS
MBC:CP3,Mo peterson, devin Brown, mike james
Main Front:peja, d-west,posey, Tyson C.
Notables:
Rasual butler, M. Ely, Hilton Armstrong, Julian Wright

NOW, who can honestly say that the Laker sare downright superior to these teams...I cant for sure, but it will be interesting to here the response from Laker nation
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#2 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 06, 2008 - 10:22 PM

any insight people?
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#3 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 06, 2008 - 10:24 PM

yes we are the most talented team.. we have different weapons but feel doesnt know how to use them at the right time yet :)

#4 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,959 posts

Posted December 06, 2008 - 10:26 PM

Our team didn't click yet and I hope that we ever will

#5 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted December 07, 2008 - 02:17 AM

Most talented when we are focused and running like a well oiled machine

#6 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 03:53 AM

We may very well be the most talented team in the league overall, with bench guys like Ariza doing so well, and with guys like Fisher fitting into our team and system. But on PAPER these guys aren't gonna be looked at as our most talented players.

So, on paper, let's see:

Our most talented players would have to be Kobe, Pau, Lamar, and Bynum. Very good.

Cavs have Lebron. Then Big Z, who is old. If this was 2004, Wallace and Wally would matter. So overall we're more talented.

Celtics have the Big Three. They might be more talented than us on paper (and in reality).

Pistons have Iverson, Rip, Sheed, and I would count Prince. Pretty talented. I don't know about this one, might be considered at our talent level, but in reality they haven't adjusted to each other yet.

Rockets have T-Mac, Yao, and Artest, 3 big names. These guys should be doing damage. On paper they look talented, but in real life, injuries, and T-Mac is getting older and older and older already, even though he's younger than Kobe.

Hornets... CP3. West is a talent, arguably made much more by CP3, but he's good. Tyson is definitely this good because of Paul, oops galore. Peja is old, still just a shooter, just inconsistent now.

I'd say Lakers, Celtics, and Rockets are top 3 in talent level ON PAPER, in whatever order.

#7 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:35 AM

^ to me that is analysis from a Lakers fan, if you mention fisher and Ariza then mention, Battier and alston, and Posey and mike james(even though he hasnt found his rhythm so far)

#8 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:49 AM

^ to me that is analysis from a Lakers fan, if you mention fisher and Ariza then mention, Battier and alston, and Posey and mike james(even though he hasnt found his rhythm so far)

What do you mean? I said in reality they might be mentioned, but on paper they wouldn't, so when I listed talented players on the Lakers, I wrote only "Kobe, Pau, Lamar, and Bynum."

I didn't mention them in the list, so I didn't mention guys like Battier and Posey also.

I think you misunderstood something?

#9 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:57 AM

did a little, but a team includes a bench and we have not mant vets off the bench, LO(inconsitent),Luke and Mihm(oft injured), while other teams have a little more veteran stability off the bench, but anyway, let this continue later its almost 5:00 am on the west and im sleepy

#10 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 05:26 AM

did a little, but a team includes a bench and we have not mant vets off the bench, LO(inconsitent),Luke and Mihm(oft injured), while other teams have a little more veteran stability off the bench, but anyway, let this continue later its almost 5:00 am on the west and im sleepy

I know it includes a bench, but I'm just talking about who people would look at on paper and determine as talented players. Not just good bench players or guys who make a good fit on the team and help a lot. Just straight up talent. Like if you hadn't seen a game this year, you'd look at the roster and say "Pau is talented"... Ariza not so much.

I'm definitely not treating "veteran stability" the same as being a talented player.

If you change up the first post or ask a new question, I can give a new answer or analysis.

I'm on the west coast too lol... I stay up way too long.

#11 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted December 07, 2008 - 07:14 AM

It really doesn't matter as much in the triangle. Effort, making a 15 ft jump shot, and decent hands are about all you need for defense AND the tri.

#12 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 07:50 AM

yea, but talent isnt just based on the most talented players, all players have talent...I still think that the cavs are slightly better than us on paper
but mo rings makes a good point regarding the triangle

#13 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,053 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 12:40 PM

yes we are the most talented team.. we have different weapons but feel doesnt know how to use them at the right time yet :)

#14 Smart Alex

Smart Alex

Most Obsessed Megan Fox

• 5,451 posts
  • Name:Alex.
  • Fan Since:Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted December 08, 2008 - 04:19 PM

yes, but Talent dosent win championships.
ex:Yankees.

Defense Does.
ex: Celtics

Edited by Smart Alex, December 08, 2008 - 04:22 PM.

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences,
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon,
for each day to have a new and different sun."

#15 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 08, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Talent? Yes Most inconsistent on Defense? Def.

Edited by m4mb4 24, December 08, 2008 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#16 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 12:09 PM

Far from hthe most talented, we just have a nice system, where the pices fit, when we are doing what Phil tells us to do, otherwise, we are a top 5 team"talentwise"
PHX
HOU
NO
BOS

#17 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 02:52 PM

Most talented? I'd say. That doesn't equal championships though, as said before, take a look at the Yankees
of baseball, and also the Phoenix Suns back then, and you can say the same about the Kings back then as well.
They just need to find a way to mesh together on the defensive end. Our offense is fine but when our defense is
going well, our offense even gets kicked to a higher gear.

#18 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 02:54 PM

^ i agree, but some members act like its a foregone conclusion, with our players, that a championsip was inevitable, and i am saying there are other teams with more talent

#19 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 03:00 PM

I will say though, that when they are playing the game we all know they can play, the Lakers are unstoppable. I don't care about Boston or Cleveland, but if they Lakers played the way they did during the start of the season, these "Are you worried about the Christmas Day game?" and "Is Kobe tired?" and "Our defense is exposed" threads wouldn't even exist, and there would be no talk about the Celtics at all.

Give the Lakes time. Some of you act like it's the end of the world if we didn't go undefeated. We truly have a bunch of spoiled fans.

#20 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 13, 2008 - 03:06 PM

^ i also agree, but we wont sweep any of those teams, even if we are playing our best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users