Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted July 07, 2012 - 06:57 AM

when I get another playstation, it'll be the PS4

Same here, might be awhile since they are releasing another even slimmer ps3

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#602 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,107 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I'd get a new PS3 pretty much just to have a 2nd blu-ray player , and to play on of course, but mostly for movies though. Depending on pricing and the way it look i might get this slimmer one though.

Same here, might be awhile since they are releasing another even slimmer ps3

I heard late 2013 is when both Microsoft and Sony plan on launching their next consoles.

#603 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'd get a new PS3 pretty much just to have a 2nd blu-ray player , and to play on of course, but mostly for movies though. Depending on pricing and the way it look i might get this slimmer one though.

I heard late 2013 is when both Microsoft and Sony plan on launching their next consoles.

That's what I heard to which makes it weird that another super slim PS3 just passed through FCC filing unless the PS4 is going to be delayed one more year and drop 2014. Heard the new xbox will finally have bluray as well though

21lsbya.jpg

#604 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,797 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:16 PM

That's what I heard to which makes it weird that another super slim PS3 just passed through FCC filing unless the PS4 is going to be delayed one more year and drop 2014. Heard the new xbox will finally have bluray as well though

games are getting bigger and bigger in file size, so it would be stupid of microsoft to not switch formats

but i wouldnt be surprised if the new system comes out around 2014, when the ps3 first came out, they wanted it to last around 10 years before they released the next one

13z8pc6.jpg

#605 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:42 PM

games are getting bigger and bigger in file size, so it would be stupid of microsoft to not switch formats

but i wouldnt be surprised if the new system comes out around 2014, when the ps3 first came out, they wanted it to last around 10 years before they released the next one

Yea even too big for dual layer DVD that Xbox uses. They were talking about going with download content only but not everyone would go for that

21lsbya.jpg

#606 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,797 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yea even too big for dual layer DVD that Xbox uses. They were talking about going with download content only but not everyone would go for that

yea, hard drives would need to be huge then

they have full game downloads on the psn store, and some downlands are over 20GB its insane

i only have a 60GB ps3, so tht wouldnt work too well

13z8pc6.jpg

#607 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted July 08, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Getting NCAA 13 on release day :rock:

#608 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2012 - 02:07 PM

fighting ultimicia in ff8 and I beat her but then she summoned her GF...game over

Pau Gasol is GONE

#609 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 07:15 AM

this final boss fight is ridiculous

I beat ultimecia, then I beat her GF, then she became her GF, beat half of it and then it wiped me out

fml

Pau Gasol is GONE

#610 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,107 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Quick PS3 question fellas.

About 3 days ago my PS3 started making a louder than usual noise while on, it's usually pretty quiet, but i definitely noticed it when it first happened. Does it mean maybe it's like dusty on the inside or something? Like i need one of those pressure air cans to get dust out like on a laptop? Or maybe i need to install one of those cooling fans to help it run cooler?

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thx.

It's a Japanese version btw, a 320GB classic white slim PS3. Got it in late december 2010, so it's not too old.

#611 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,126 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:42 AM

It's probably just due to the heat. You have an AC? If not that might be it. It has been [expletive]ing hot these past couple days.

hR3rI.png

#612 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,107 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:01 PM

It's probably just due to the heat. You have an AC? If not that might be it. It has been [expletive]ing hot these past couple days.

That's what I was thinking too. Because it virtually started doing it at the start of this mini heat wave.

I don't have an AC tho. Might get one of those PS3 fans off amazon today and see if that helps.

Another quick one. Lets say my PS3 just stops working. Like you get the YLOD or whatever. All the stuff on the hardrive could just be transfered over to a new PS3 right?

I'm just preparing for the worst here :laughing:

#613 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,797 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 12:45 PM

That's what I was thinking too. Because it virtually started doing it at the start of this mini heat wave.

I don't have an AC tho. Might get one of those PS3 fans off amazon today and see if that helps.

Another quick one. Lets say my PS3 just stops working. Like you get the YLOD or whatever. All the stuff on the hardrive could just be transfered over to a new PS3 right?

I'm just preparing for the worst here :laughing:

Yes its due to the heat

make sure its in a ventilated area, or the heat may cause the system to get YLOD

also, dust is another killer because it clogs the air vents making ventilation throughout the system hard aswell

whenever the system starts getting louder than normal, move it from its current position to where it can breathe better, because if you play with it overheated too long, eventually it will YLOD, or the system simply will stop working

ive had two ps3's die, im currently on my 3rd one.

i bough my first one dec 2006, and it died from YLOD in 2008..so i sent that one in to sony, and got a replacement one, which lasted until this year..that one didnt die from YLOD tho, that one just froze alot making gameplay impossible

since you have a japanese ps3 though, if your ps3 does fail, idk if sony will accept that ps3 since its not an american unit, so you would have to make sure to ask them if/when your ps3 dies and you want to get it "repaired" because when you send your ps3 in for "repairs," they dont repair your specific unit, and give it back, they simply just ship you a refurb unit, so since you have a white ps3 from japan, i imagine they wouldnt be able to do that type of swap since american ps3's arent white (its a stupid policy) so make sure to check if your ps3 does die

so if i were you, i would get a can of pressurized air, and spray that thing to get the dust out, because there definitely is dust in there (i took apart my previous ps3 before i shipped it to sony, and it was dusty as hell on the inside) so you want to do that to prevent it from breaking

also, dont even play another game until you get a flash drive and backup all your game saves, because once you get YLOD, you cant even startup the ps3 on to do any transfers, its just dead..luckily for me, the last time my ps3 died, it wasnt because of YLOD, so it still was able to turn on, so i could back my saves up, so you should do that before anything bad happens

also, dont get those external cooling fans tho, because they cause more harm than good

13z8pc6.jpg

#614 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,107 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yes its due to the heat

make sure its in a ventilated area, or the heat may cause the system to get YLOD

also, dust is another killer because it clogs the air vents making ventilation throughout the system hard aswell

whenever the system starts getting louder than normal, move it from its current position to where it can breathe better, because if you play with it overheated too long, eventually it will YLOD, or the system simply will stop working

ive had two ps3's die, im currently on my 3rd one.

i bough my first one dec 2006, and it died from YLOD in 2008..so i sent that one in to sony, and got a replacement one, which lasted until this year..that one didnt die from YLOD tho, that one just froze alot making gameplay impossible

since you have a japanese ps3 though, if your ps3 does fail, idk if sony will accept that ps3 since its not an american unit, so you would have to make sure to ask them if/when your ps3 dies and you want to get it "repaired" because when you send your ps3 in for "repairs," they dont repair your specific unit, and give it back, they simply just ship you a refurb unit, so since you have a white ps3 from japan, i imagine they wouldnt be able to do that type of swap since american ps3's arent white (its a stupid policy) so make sure to check if your ps3 does die

so if i were you, i would get a can of pressurized air, and spray that thing to get the dust out, because there definitely is dust in there (i took apart my previous ps3 before i shipped it to sony, and it was dusty as hell on the inside) so you want to do that to prevent it from breaking

also, dont even play another game until you get a flash drive and backup all your game saves, because once you get YLOD, you cant even startup the ps3 on to do any transfers, its just dead..luckily for me, the last time my ps3 died, it wasnt because of YLOD, so it still was able to turn on, so i could back my saves up, so you should do that before anything bad happens

also, dont get those external cooling fans tho, because they cause more harm than good

Thanks. Very informative post. I'm getting me a flash drive and a can of pressurized air today and taking care of it. Gonna also move it where it can be more ventilated.

When you back everything up on an external source, does EVERYTHING get backed up? I mean stuff besides saves and trophies, like DLC and online stuff?

#615 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,107 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Also i'm assuming you need to take it apart to get it cleaned out right?

#616 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,797 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks. Very informative post. I'm getting me a flash drive and a can of pressurized air today and taking care of it. Gonna also move it where it can be more ventilated.

When you back everything up on an external source, does EVERYTHING get backed up? I mean stuff besides saves and trophies, like DLC and online stuff?

there is an option to do a full back up under the "settings" category, but ive never done that

but the easiest way to back up your saves its to just insert a flash drive and scroll over to the game saves, then press triangle, and copy the data onto the flash drive

your game saves are what you want to get after tho, everything else like your online trophies, DLC and online stuff, all of that is tied to your online account, so you dont have to save any of that because its tied to your online username, so if your ps3 did indeed die one day and you got a new one, then all you would have to do is sign into the new ps3 using your old account details, and everything you purchased from the store/DLC will still be there, aswell as your trophies

now if you have movies/shows on your profile from the psn that you have bought, that isnt tied to your online name, so you would also need to save those the same way u save the game saves, just go to the movies section on the XBM and press triangle to save

Also i'm assuming you need to take it apart to get it cleaned out right?

taking it apart is pretty dangerous if you dont know what your doing because theres ribbons in there that you could break if you arent careful, so i would probably just get compressed air and spray it thru the vents and that will help somewhat, but it wont get everything out...so it depends on how quick your ps3 gets loud, if it gets loud after like 30mins, then its probably really dusty on the inside, and i would probably look into opening it to clean, but if you have no clue what your doing, then i would start by simply just airing out the vents

i only took my ps3 apart because it was breaking down anyways and i knew i was gonna call sony to get it repaired, so i just said what the hell and opened it to see what it looked like on the inside..since your ps3 is still working, then i would hold off on that just incase you accidentally break something

im assuming you have the fat ps3, so if your ps3 gets really bad, heres a manual which shows how to take it apart: http://yellowlight.c...nts/YLODfix.pdf

heres a vid

hopefully it dont break on you tho, cuz its like $150 to send it into sony

13z8pc6.jpg

#617 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,107 posts

Posted July 14, 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thanks again.

I have a slim PS3 btw. Actually earlier today i just moved it around a little, now there's full open space behind it. The way I had it before, there was virtually no free open space behind it, maybe about 5 inches, then wood(from the furniture). It helped. It wasn't making any noise today.

But..

I might still get some compressed air, or a vacuum(saw one on amazon while looking for compressed air cans, it's $50 tho, but according to reviews its the best product for cleaning out electronics, highly unlikely i get it tho). Just to take some preventative measures to avoid any future issues.

Getting a flash drive as well for the saves, etc. I was worried that if the PS3 just died on me i 'd lose DLC. That was like my main concern :laughing:

I just got BF3 Premium, plus I got the first DLC that dropped for Black Ops when it came out. That's $65 worth of DLC.

Glad it stays connected to your account no matter what tho. Thx.

Edited by ace™, July 14, 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#618 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,797 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 12:26 AM

lol you should have said that from the beginning, apparently the slimmer ps3's are better built than the fat ones, so the chances of you getting YLOD is smaller, but they can still break due to over heating, so yea, just keep it well ventilated, and always back up your game saves just incase something weird happens, because i know there is dust on the inside of that thing

compressed air costs like $5 at walmart, so its not a big deal, its better to be safe then sorry..a vaccum is a little much imo, but ive never messed with cleaning the slim ones, so it may work better

and yeaa, wen my first ps3 broke, i was so worried that all the stuff i bought would be gone, but after i logged into the new ps3 with my old account details, everything was there in the psn store still, i was so glad

Edited by pkflyers, July 15, 2012 - 12:33 AM.

13z8pc6.jpg

#619 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted July 15, 2012 - 01:40 AM

I wouldn't clean the PS3 using compressed air, unless you're taking it apart. My first PS3 overheated because of it...I blew air into the PS3 and pushed dust into other parts of the system, and due to it gathering and clumping up, it made things worse and sped up the process.

Basically, you can't control where you're blowing the dust/dirt if you're using the air through the vents. It's the same with computers.

It's not a good idea for many to take apart the PS3, but if you don't have a warranty and you're confident you won't screw up, it's best to use a can of air AFTER removing the cover, blowing the dust/dirt up and out...and then wiping down non-electronic pieces with alcohol and Q-tips (anything that needs it).

#620 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,063 posts

Posted July 15, 2012 - 05:08 AM

I didn't even know u could use a flash drive with the ps3

Edited by Windu, July 15, 2012 - 05:09 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users