#21 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,350 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 07, 2008 - 01:58 AM

I think you guys are making too much of a big deal about this quote. It's good that they have this kind of competitions as long as it improves their stealing...

#22 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted December 07, 2008 - 02:09 AM

I think you guys are making too much of a big deal about this quote. It's good that they have this kind of competitions as long as it improves their stealing...

Bryant sometimes "comes away empty-handed, which compromises our defense.

I would rather have the opponent hit a well defended jumper, rather than a open jumper or even a layup. It doesn't matter if they have more steals on the stat sheet. Steals are made with great defense, and having a competition will just make them go for a steal each time they are out on the court, and that doesn't mean that they will be playing better defense to get the steal.. If they come out empty handed, it's 2 easy points for the opponent.

Edited by Base, December 07, 2008 - 02:10 AM.

#23 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:40 AM

why does this guy thinks he has more invested in a championship than Kobe and co.,^
plz be sensible about these types of things
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#24 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:01 AM

I guess you are thanking god that Lakers didn't win the championship. If you want something bad enough you will fight for it with all your might until you get it, you won't slack off one bit...or at least I wouldn't
The Lakers should be playing serious throughout the whole game, it ain't over till it's over. Kobe is sure busting his butt out there but if you see his shot selection it really hurts the team. He shold be the leader, he shouldn't be playing games on the bench, or playing games on the court. If Kobe were to get on the benches butt for blowing the lead, they won't care since Kobe wasn't paying attention anyway a couple minutes earlier.

Keep in mind that this is their JOB and they are paid MULTIPLE millions of dollars, and seeing them not focusing is just jaw dropping, even some college teams has more discipline than the Lakers

Yes, the Lakers lost because Kobe wasn't as intense as KG. Great counter-argument. You sure got me there.[/sarcasm]

We lost the Finals on the defensive end. It wasn't a big focus last season, and you couldn't expect them to become a great defensive team overnight. Not because people weren't intense. That's just plain stupid.

Just because they have some little competition doesn't mean they aren't taking it seriously. Friendly competition among co-workers happens in a lot of jobs. If anything, it pushes them to work even harder on the defensive end. It could lead to more mistakes, but it definitely doesn't mean they are slacking off.

And Kobe doesn't care about losing the lead? Wow. Like I said, in my last post, come back when you actually have some real observations, not just these personal interpretations and hunches.

If you don't want to see guys enjoying themselves while playing a GAME (or actually not playing a game, because they're laughing while ON THE BENCH), then stop watching human beings playing basketball, and start playing video games. I bet they didn't program in laughter and enjoyment into the players in video games.

#25 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 12:07 PM

^ actually, players laugh on the bench during runs by their teams on nba2k9, so i guess he wants the players to be less human than their video game counterparts
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#26 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:07 PM

Yes, the Lakers lost because Kobe wasn't as intense as KG. Great counter-argument. You sure got me there.[/sarcasm]

We lost the Finals on the defensive end. It wasn't a big focus last season, and you couldn't expect them to become a great defensive team overnight. Not because people weren't intense. That's just plain stupid.

Just because they have some little competition doesn't mean they aren't taking it seriously. Friendly competition among co-workers happens in a lot of jobs. If anything, it pushes them to work even harder on the defensive end. It could lead to more mistakes, but it definitely doesn't mean they are slacking off.

And Kobe doesn't care about losing the lead? Wow. Like I said, in my last post, come back when you actually have some real observations, not just these personal interpretations and hunches.

If you don't want to see guys enjoying themselves while playing a GAME (or actually not playing a game, because they're laughing while ON THE BENCH), then stop watching human beings playing basketball, and start playing video games. I bet they didn't program in laughter and enjoyment into the players in video games.

Players shouldn't be joking on the bench, talking about where they are going to eat after the game, or what happened the other day. They can do that after the game. I can't even begin to count how many double digit leads they blew. If you think that they are focused on the game blowing those kinds of leads you are crazy. It begins with the leader on the team and that's Kobe Bryant. When Kobe loses focus the team loses focus.

Tonight Lakers up by 21, it was cut down to 11, not good.

Kobe was always on his teammates when they made a mistake, this year he is more laid back.

I would rather see the Lakers having a good time on the court, playing well than them losing focus as a team on court and laughing having a good time on the BENCH.

Edited by Base, December 07, 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#27 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted December 07, 2008 - 09:26 PM

mark my words folks..you can have fun and games and everything else ..but when it gets time to be serious this team needs to put the Jokes aside and wake the heck up and play basketball..like its meant to be played...Boston wont lay down for nobody not even us on Christmas we aint ready we gonna find ourselves down by 30 I think its KB24 and Fish to crack the whip ...have a competition on winning games not individual stats.

Edited by m4mb4 24, December 07, 2008 - 09:26 PM.

Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#28 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:38 PM

:rock: :rock: :rock:
Basketball Reasons...

#29 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:55 PM

Players shouldn't be joking on the bench, talking about where they are going to eat after the game, or what happened the other day. They can do that after the game. I can't even begin to count how many double digit leads they blew. If you think that they are focused on the game blowing those kinds of leads you are crazy. It begins with the leader on the team and that's Kobe Bryant. When Kobe loses focus the team loses focus.

Tonight Lakers up by 21, it was cut down to 11, not good.

Kobe was always on his teammates when they made a mistake, this year he is more laid back.

I would rather see the Lakers having a good time on the court, playing well than them losing focus as a team on court and laughing having a good time on the BENCH.

Yes the people sitting on the bench are responsible for the leads lost, not the players on the court. The players on the bench should be focused so that we don't lose the leads.

You must have pretty good seats every single Lakers game to know what goes on there. You do sit right next to the bench, right? Otherwise, you're basing your theories on the few seconds the camera actual focuses on the bench, which sounds pretty stupid to me, so that can't be it. Only logical explanation is that you have amazing seats right next to the bench.

Again bring REAL, TANGIBLE observations, not these personal interpretations of what you think is going through their minds.

#30 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:29 PM

Yes the people sitting on the bench are responsible for the leads lost, not the players on the court. The players on the bench should be focused so that we don't lose the leads.

You must have pretty good seats every single Lakers game to know what goes on there. You do sit right next to the bench, right? Otherwise, you're basing your theories on the few seconds the camera actual focuses on the bench, which sounds pretty stupid to me, so that can't be it. Only logical explanation is that you have amazing seats right next to the bench.

Again bring REAL, TANGIBLE observations, not these personal interpretations of what you think is going through their minds.

The camera is on the bench every other possession, I don't think that the Lakers would suddenly focus if the opponents get the ball or vice versa if the camera is off of them. People on the bench are a big part of the game. People here complain about fans losing focus at staples center, not cheering the team on...so whats the difference? The bench should be cheering the team on, I saw the Celtics do that during the playoffs last year. Just cause they are getting paid millions of dollars it doesn't excuse them of not paying attention, not one bit.

#31 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 02:57 AM

I didn't know Fisher was a part of this competition!

#32 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted December 08, 2008 - 04:39 AM

I didn't know Fisher was a part of this competition!

His 5 steals last night entered him into the competition? :lol:

#33 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 04:41 AM

His 5 steals last night entered him into the competition? :lol:

I think he's qualified enough now! Nice job Fish.

#34 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 08, 2008 - 09:07 AM

Ship their :censored: out!
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#35 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 10:35 AM

I think it's not as bad as you guys think it is. It gives them more motivation to steal the damn ball and play defense. Better than a scoring competition.

#36 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 05:27 PM

its working for kobe trevor and jordan so far(fish?) so i have no problems with it

#37 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted December 08, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Then again, Phil did mention they are trying to do things that out of the gameplan or something....forcing steals...I dunno.

#38 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 11:01 PM

whats wrong with a few team-mates having a friendly competition? these are professionals, including KOBE of all people..its not its going to cost them a game. if anything, it'll help the lakers
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

#39 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,329 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 11:01 PM

I find it very annoying. Just what I have been telling SILO, Kobe, Laughing on the bench when they are up (not the wizards game), smiling after they blew a 19 point game (wizards game) when he realized they won and now this? Kobe isn't focused for the championship, just toying around. When the real tests come they will lose because of the little games they play. STAY FOCUSED!!!!!!!!!

anyone who questions kobe's desire to win a championship loses all basketball credibility

thats like questioning tom brady's accuracy or tiger woods ability to win the PGA tour

questioning kobes desire is well dumb plain and simple

might as well question lebrons athletic ability, or dwight howards ability to rebound and dunk the basketball, or tim duncans ability to score from the post
Posted Image

#40 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 09, 2008 - 02:14 AM

I think it's not as bad as you guys think it is. It gives them more motivation to steal the damn ball and play defense. Better than a scoring competition.

Trying to steal the ball every play will definitely not equal better defense.

I barely see this as a real problem though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users