#41 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:16 PM

^You're kidding yourself if you don't think Gasol was this good without Kobe. And even going as far as saying that he wasn't anywhere close? That's just Kobe homerism at its best. It's quite sickening how much guys try to discredit Pau. As someone else stated in another thread, even though Kobe is clearly the better player, they have nearly equal impact to this team.

Pau was the main guy on Memphis and experienced futility there except for one 50 win season. I think he is hitting his peak because of his natural progression as player and the extra freedom he gets having Kobe on his team. He's never been better, but he's now 28, in his 8th season and has the luxury of being on a great team which would make anyone a better player. He's great and it's nice that Kobe finally has a legit sidekick again.

Edited by Ken #1 Beloved, January 05, 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#42 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:27 PM

I actually like van gundy, but when he said lebron was the best; and its not even close i knew he was trying to illicit response from Kobe's biggest fan, Mark Jackson. Plus he loves defense and apparently he believes Lebron plays better D than Kobe but I just dont see it, I think the fact that he plays HARDER than Kobe HAS BEEN playing, that he just gives it to Lebron. But I'll just say this, Kobe is making a case for MVP, and I would give it to him if the season ended today, the lakers have the best record and just because Lebron is naturally built to have the best stats in the league, doesnt mean he is the best player , or the MVP of his team. If we look at the top 5 teams record-wise DWIGHT is MVP, and if we go by who makes their teammates better, well lemme just say this, Gasol wasnt this good, in Memphis, in fact he wasnt anywhere close. Bynum looked much better when it was Kobe basically breastfeeding him 8 pts a game last year

It's beyond me how any Lakers fan can possibly like Jeff Van Gundy, but hey, I've heard this from others. Next time you listen to him, keep track of the negative comments he says about the Lakers versus the positive ones. He was relatively benign in the Boston game. I'm very careful when I keep my scorecard and when in doubt, I had an objective observer agree or disagree with me and I always went with his opinion. It was 7-2, negative versus positive in the end, and both positive statements were about LO.

#43 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:52 PM

How can u say that pau was just as good without Kobe...thats bs simple and plain. No arguments. But i will pose the question, why did his points stay the same even though he has a guy who dominates(somewhat...not like cp3) the ball and averages more than ANY teammate he has ever played with. Why is he hitting jumpers, because he practices them, why are they usually wide open? Why is his swag so different now? Kobe has made all his teammates better, including Smush and Kwame, so y would it be different with Pau. I love Pau, he's smart, talented, gritty and pretty, but he is playing woth the BEST player in the world...i will admit this is probably his prime, so thats got something to do with it. But i remeber how Bynum dominated pau ( though he got a triple double) b4 he came here .

Also Kobe isnt coasting anymore, and his impact exceeds Paus at this point in the season
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#44 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 05:57 PM

How can u say that pau was just as good without Kobe...thats bs simple and plain.

He played for the Grizzlies, so people didn't appreciate his talents. He won a World Championship and MVP with Spain in 2006. When we traded for him, I just about jumped out of my skin! He was a all-star without Kobe and he's getting stronger and refining his game at the age of 28 with the luxury of being on a great team. But he's been solid ever since he got to the NBA. It's not "bs," KG.

#45 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:06 PM

NEVER call me KG....i have to take a shower, but firstly I knew how good he was, and it wasnt as good as he is now. i never considered him not to be tough, but there are guys who can play, and then theres another echelon of players. Kobe, D-wade, lebron, duncan, Amare, Dirk(MVP season), Cp3, garnett, Howard,Joe johnson(YES). Pau isnt there, and I dont think he ever will be. Pau is playing the best ball of his life right now, if Kobe was : well he would get ANOTHER MVP
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#46 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:06 PM

How can u say that pau was just as good without Kobe...thats bs simple and plain. No arguments. But i will pose the question, why did his points stay the same even though he has a guy who dominates(somewhat...not like cp3) the ball and averages more than ANY teammate he has ever played with. Why is he hitting jumpers, because he practices them, why are they usually wide open? Why is his swag so different now? Kobe has made all his teammates better, including Smush and Kwame, so y would it be different with Pau. I love Pau, he's smart, talented, gritty and pretty, but he is playing woth the BEST player in the world...i will admit this is probably his prime, so thats got something to do with it. But i remeber how Bynum dominated pau ( though he got a triple double) b4 he came here .

Also Kobe isnt coasting anymore, and his impact exceeds Paus at this point in the season

He was this good. He didn't gain anymore talent just from playing with Kobe. He is able to show his abilities more now that he's the second option, but Kobe doesn't have any magical powers to make him better. Kobe is also benefiting A LOT from having Pau on this team. Both players playing together help each other out. And that's plain and simple. I really can't decipher what else you are trying to say, because (and I don't mean to insult) you use very poor grammar even for the internet, and a lot of it looks irrelevant. And what does Bynum apparently dominating Pau have anything to do with it? You don't think other players have had any great games against Kobe?

And Kobe is still coasting.

Edited by daco_inc, January 05, 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#47 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:10 PM

gasol is averaging the same stats he was when he was in memphis besides FG% (that can be attributed to kobe or just having a better "team" overall), gasol has always hit outside jumpshots, gotten to the rim, and like ken said, HIS TEAM beat the USA team with him leading it 4 years ago, also is considered the #1 player in europe, has been an allstar, and in general is a smart basketball player, none of those things are because of kobe ... why do you think ALL THE GMS in the nba hated on the trade? you must not have followed gasols career to say "its not even close", someone else is smoking the "BS"
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#48 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:10 PM

NEVER call me KG....i have to take a shower, but firstly I knew how good he was, and it wasnt as good as he is now. i never considered him not to be tough, but there are guys who can play, and then theres another echelon of players. Kobe, D-wade, lebron, duncan, Amare, Dirk(MVP season), Cp3, garnett, Howard,Joe johnson(YES). Pau isnt there, and I dont think he ever will be. Pau is playing the best ball of his life right now, if Kobe was : well he would get ANOTHER MVP

If you don't think Pau is on par with guys other PFs like Amare or Dirk, then you don't understand basketball, plain and simple. Pau's skillset is as good, if not better and more versatile, than both those guys.

#49 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:12 PM

daco, you're right on the money.

Pau WAS this good. The guy has always been this good, it's just that he's on the Lakers now and you pay attention to his game.

And yes, Kobe's coasting and I love it.

A costing Kobe along with a league best record means an even healthier, more energetic, sharp Kobe in the playoffs when the Lakers need him most.

A coasting Kobe is what this team has needed for a long time. Now that this team has the depth to allow Kobe to not play at 500% every night, people are concerned. Always a no-win situation with Kobe.

#50 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:18 PM

I don't know why you guys argue about if Gasol is as great as the other players. Who really [expletive]ing cares? We're winning and we're on top.

#51 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:27 PM

I don't know why you guys argue about if Gasol is as great as the other players. Who really [expletive]ing cares? We're winning and we're on top.

I agree completely. It doesn't matter whether or not Pau is as great or better than the other players, we've been winning at an astonishing rate ever since he started wearing the Purple and Gold. He's been the perfect fit for our team, and that's all that matters.

Edited by L.A.K.E.R, January 05, 2009 - 06:28 PM.

#52 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:29 PM

I don't think its arguing as much as it is some of us being in shock over others not realizing just what a huge player he's been for the Lakers.

But otherwise, you guys are right.

Best team in the NBA, great season, so far - 'nuff said.

#53 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:31 PM

i know about skill set, but once again Vlade divac had the SAME SKILLSET, but Pau is more talented than him.
webber had a better skill set than Duncan, but who was better at similar points of their respective careers. I always appreciated Pau, in fact b4 the trade he was on my NBA 07 team, but he isnt better than Amare or Dirk... but I know why you guys would like to think so, he is a very good player, but as a said b4 if Kobe missed 2 weeks, this forum would go crazy with Pau trying to shoulder the load of a championship level team.
By the way even with my incorrect grammar, you can understand me. But the last thing I wanted to say was a lot of people said kobe didnt make Bynum better last year, they said it was attributed to bynum's offseason, but without those precise lobs, and pick-and rolls, bynum's impact and confidence is down significantly.
And as far as the silver medal, Spain has a bunch of very talented individuals. pau is the best of that bunch, but rubio, gasol 2, and fernandez are very good.

#54 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:47 PM

i know about skill set, but once again Vlade divac had the SAME SKILLSET, but Pau is more talented than him.
webber had a better skill set than Duncan, but who was better at similar points of their respective careers.

What the hell does a skill-set matter if you don't utilize it effectively? Simple fact: players that utilize their skillsets are more effective than those that do not. A good example would be Lamar Odom; great skillset, capabilities to do most anything on the court, but does NOT utilize it effectively most of the time.

#55 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:54 PM

^ okay, now thats what im saying. Skillset is not the same as talent. Jack-of all-trades, Ace of none. I would say the one thing Pau has perfected is his mid-range. And, as i said b4, I love Pau, but he falls over too much, more than Dirk, whos smaller, and definetely more than Amare, but I'm through,b/c i hate to argue against a player who i love so much

#56 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,497 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 06:57 PM

kobe has not made gasols skill level better but what he undeniably has done is given gasol single coverage which has allowed gasol to show the world what most basketball people knew

why was mike d'antoni, greg poppovich, every other writer in every other city pissed

they knew what gasol could do and knew with kobe it would only make things easier for kobe and gasol

its like that pheonix assistant once said

paraphrase

"if kobe ever gets a player watch out"

well hes gotten one and we've seen the results
Posted Image

#57 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:00 PM

^ agreed

#58 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:00 PM

Kobe has not made Gasol better, as he's always had the skills. Kobe just creates more opportunities for Gasol to showcase those same skills.

#59 fido

fido

• 11,910 posts

Posted January 05, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!!

#60 Ken #1 Beloved

Ken #1 Beloved

Rookie

• Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted January 06, 2009 - 07:55 AM

Pau's basketball IQ is one of the top 5 in the NBA, so consequently he maximizes his talents. Anyway, back to the topic of this thread, Kobe said the other day that he hasn't even shifted into third gear yet, so I guess he's "coasting."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users