9 replies to this topic

#1 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 08:37 PM

Lakers V Sixers Post Game Report

Final Score: Lakers 114 - 102 Sixers

After a tough loss to the Indiana Pacers last night, the Los Angeles Lakers squared off against the Philadelphia 76ers looking to get their 15th win of the season. Losing this game for the Lakers would have been a big mental blow, but the Lakers managed to get through the tough test.

Going into this game, the 76ers were not a dominant team in the league, but they have got some good players who can cause problems. Both Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand are players who have the ability to be effective difference makers. Either way, the Lakers took care of business.

Lakers PROS:

1. Good shooting:
The Lakers shot 58%, which effectively meant that no matter what the Sixers threw at them, the Lakers were able to counter with good shots and wise shot selection. The Lakers had runs when they were simply unstoppable, the 22-6 run in the 1st quarter being an example. Seeing as nearly every Basketball game is decided on runs, getting a good run going and fighting hard to keep the momentum going is key, and this is something the Lakers did very well.

2. Pau Gasol: A great deal of the Lakers good offensive perfomance can be put on Pau Gasol. Pau Gasol dazzled his way to 22 points, 8-12 FG and 5 offensive rebounds. Pau Gasol established himself down low against a 76ers team that has good inside players. Pau’s basketball IQ really showed, as he seemingly had the right move, pass and shot for everything the 76ers threw at him. Pau contributed 8 defensive rebounds to go with his 5 offensive rebounds, meaning he had a good game on the boards.

3. Vladimir Radmanovic:
Not that he did much in this game, but his shooting in the 1st quarter was a big reason as to why the Lakers didn’t go too far behind early on when the 76ers had the momentum. Vlad played good defense on whoever he was asked to guard, and continued to help the Lakers keep up with the 76ers early on. If it wasn’t for Vlad, the Lakers would never have been able to counter the 76ers with that 22 point run.

4. Better transitional defense: Transitional defense is what killed the Lakers against the Pacers, that and bad rebounding of course. The Lakers managed to hustle back on D and not make themselves vulnerable to a quick break.

5. Rebounding: Not that the Lakers rebounded WELL (gave up 12 offensive boards), but it was much better than the pathetic excuse of a performance the team gave against the Pacers. Bynum put in a disappointing 3 rebounds, but the rest of the team managed to get the job done. As I said before, it was by no means a good rebounding performance, but it was better than what the team did in the last game.

6. Kobe taking over: Kobe Bryant managed to go into overdrive every time his team needed him to. When the 76ers were amounting a comeback, Kobe managed to swiftly shake them off by any means needed. Kobe’s 32 points lead the Lakers in scoring.

Lakers CONS:

1. Perimeter defense: What have I been saying all along? The Lakers need to fix this perimeter defense problem. Andre Miller went off tonight, simply abusing Derek Fisher on his way to 26 points. If the Lakers could have shut Miller down, then this game would not have even been close. Miller’s penetration is what set up opportunities for the other players. Simply put, the Lakers defense is full of holes right now.

2. Mental errors:
The team showed that they hadn’t learned their lesson from the Pacers game. Instead of continuing to fight hard whilst holding the big lead, the Lakers let the 76ers back into this game. Mental strength is a huge question mark for this Lakers team, and unfortunately, mental strength can’t be taught. You either have it or you don’t.

3. Phil Jackson:
I hate to call out the coach, but Phil Jackson has got to stop taking players out of the game when they are in rhythm. It’s one of the most typical Phil Jackson things to do. For example, Vlad was 3/3 from three point range, what does Jackson do? Pull him. Another example, Ariza is playing with energy, giving the team a boost and causing a lot of turnovers from the opposition, what does Jackson do? Pull him out of the game. Phil needs to leave the guys in there when they are hot.

4. Lamar Odom: 30 minutes, 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 3-8 shooting and 1 turnover. Not exactly productive numbers from Odom considering the time he played. Bynum played the same minutes and put up twice as many points and quadruple the amount of assists. People seem to love Odom coming off of the bench, but the reality is that his numbers really aren’t that great.

Overall it was a decent good performance from the Lakers, picking up a win. The Lakers played poorly defensively, but their offensive supremecy gave them the upper hand. Apart from the first 5 minutes when the 76ers built a 10 point lead, the 76ers never really saw the lead again. Despite coming close, the Lakers shielded them off to seal the deal and grab their 15th win of the season.

My personal game awards:

Player Of The Game: Kobe Bryant - Lead the team in scoring, marvellous job of taking over the game.
Mr. Irrelevant : Sasha Vujacic - Did next to nothing.
Honourable Mention: Trevor Ariza - Provided a boost off of the bench.

The Lakers now go on to face the lowly Washington Wizards on Friday, a game they really should win.
Posted Image

Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#2 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 08:38 PM

Take it easy on me, I wrote this at 4am in the morning :lol:.

#3 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 03, 2008 - 08:44 PM

that was horrible

re-do! :angry:

good write up

You're right on the money about Odom

Edited by MDI, December 03, 2008 - 08:47 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#4 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 08:48 PM

that was horrible

re-do! :angry:

good write up

You're right on the money about Odom

:lol:

Look, whatever I write at 4am in the morning shouldn't be taken seriously.

Unless of course, I write something clever, like I did about Odom. :D

#5 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted December 03, 2008 - 08:51 PM

pretty good Darth...
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

#6 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 03, 2008 - 09:09 PM

Oh yeh, Royal Freshness. I'm still deciding if I want to be signed to that or not. :unsure:
But yeh, that was pretty spot on. Sometimes I do wonder why Phil Jackson does that but you know he's the coach and whatever he says is what it is.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#7 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,054 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Take it easy on me, I wrote this at 4am in the morning :lol: .

Well that shouldn't be an excuse at all - ever, shouldn't it? <_< :lol: I kiiid.

Def. agree about LO.

#8 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted December 03, 2008 - 11:45 PM

LO was +16 for the game.....

#9 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 11:53 PM

LO was +16 for the game.....

misleading stat

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#10 Mo Rings

Mo Rings

Fan since Hector was a pup!

• 543 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:All of 'em!

Posted December 04, 2008 - 12:06 AM

I'd take 5 guys with +16 every game. {:^)

Edited by Mo Rings, December 04, 2008 - 12:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users