Photo

Substitution Pattern Doesn't Sit Well With Drew

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,739 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted December 03, 2008 - 03:58 AM

Posted Image

Reporting from Indianapolis -- In his own, low-key way, Lakers center Andrew Bynum was critical of Coach Phil Jackson's substitution pattern in the fourth quarter of tonight's 118-117 loss to the Indiana Pacers.

Bynum was with the second unit of Jordan Farmar, Sasha Vujacic, Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza when they blitzed the Pacers with a 17-0 run to end the third quarter to give the Lakers a 15-point lead.

Bynum was with that group when they built the lead to 16 early in the fourth.

But after that reserve unit turned the ball over four times in the first 2:44 of the fourth, made one of three shots and saw a 104-88 lead cut to 104-96, Jackson pulled Odom, Farmar, Ariza and Vujacic and replaced them with the starters.

Bynum stayed in with Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Derek Fisher and Vladimir Radmanovic.

But Bynum still was taken aback that the reserves were yanked. He had found his groove with that group during their run, scoring six of his seven third-quarter points.

"The second unit played well, got a 16-point lead in the fourth quarter. We were all taken out with six minutes to go in game," Bynum said. "We didn't get any rebounds [after that]. I don't know what to say about that."

Bynum actually wasn't pulled until the 5:32 mark of the fourth.

He was asked why he was taken out of the game, considering how the Pacers out-rebounded the Lakers 50-41 overall and 19-8 on the offensive end.

"I don't know," Bynum said, who turned 21 at the end of October. "That's a question for Phil."

Jackson spoke first to the media immediately after the game. He had walked to the bus by the time Bynum and his teammates were asked to explain how they lost to a 7-10 Indiana team.

"I didn't like it at all the way we started the fourth quarter," Jackson said. "That's not the way you want to start the fourth quarter. They came out and fiddled it away. We were one for 11 on the first 11 possessions. You can't do that on the road. That gives more momentum to the home team."

Jackson was critical of his team's interior defense.

The Lakers gave up 44 points in the paint and 24 second-chance points.

Bynum admitted the Lakers were at fault for that happening.

But he still harped on Jackson pulling the second unit out of the game in the fourth quarter, a group Bynum had played well with.

"We didn't play well. I not saying say that," Bynum said. "But in the fourth quarter, the second unit put a nice run together and I think we all should have been rewarded by being able to stay out there on the court."

Gasol sat in his chair putting his socks on.

He glanced at the stat sheet on a chair in front of him and pointed to the rebound total.

He was dismayed by how the Pacers out-rebounded the Lakers, 17-7 in the fourth quarter, by how the Pacers collected six offensive rebounds in the fourth.

"We weren't active enough, smart enough to be able to box them out all the way out to the free-throw line," said Gasol, who had nine rebounds, which tied him for the team high with Bynum. "Those rebounds were long and they kept getting them. They out-hustled us pretty much in that fourth quarter and they got a lot of second-chance points."

More in link.
http://www.latimes.c...,0,367784.story

#2 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 04:53 AM

Drew, shut the [expletive] up.

I love you man, but seriously, when there's 5 mins left, who do you want on the floor? Your starters or your reserves? Sorry but honestly, I hope these are quotes taken out of context and not his actual words.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#3 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,723 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:19 AM

He can feel as he wants, but it's Phil who calls the shots.
Posted Image

#4 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:23 AM

I don't have an opinion on whether he's right or not, but I sorta like him saying this. Phil does it all the time, Drew's trying to learn from him with these jabs through the media haha.

Cept Phil is in charge so it's a bit different. And he's 100 years wiser and has 10 rings.

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 03, 2008 - 06:42 AM

Bynum needs to shut up. The reserves were giving up the big lead they had made. I thought it was the right call to put back the starters for the exception of Vlad. Other than that they were fine. Bynum did not rebound down the stretch like he should have either. As didnt Gasol nor Odom.

#6 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted December 03, 2008 - 02:28 PM

bynum needs to man up and see that tory freakin murphy and rasho outrebounded him ... hell he didnt even get a block yesterday
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#7 Ricky

Ricky

Like's The LC

• 545 posts
  • Name:Freaky D
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson

Posted December 04, 2008 - 05:26 PM

Bynum is still a "kid" in a way. He's gonna get his time to shine and play his 38 mintues a game, later. Right now, we need him healthy, full of energy, to take down sons of pigs that is the Celtics :rock:

#8 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 04, 2008 - 05:34 PM

bynum...you will earn ur minutes at the game's end soon enuff
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#9 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted December 04, 2008 - 11:40 PM

Last time I checked, Phil was the one with the rings.

#10 LALDynasty

LALDynasty

Kobe Bryant 2010 Finals MVP

• 3,797 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2008 - 12:22 AM

Kob' needs to bring drew aside and tell him to zip it shut
Posted Image

16 TIME NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thanks TheBigFish for this great sig

1 user(s) are reading this topic