#1 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted December 01, 2008 - 05:36 PM

i here many of you guys ( and some in the media) dubbing Portland the team of the future.
Are you kidding me? Now I will be the first Lakers fan to admit that I don't like that organization very much, but basketball bias aside, I just don't see how people expect that team to be a dynasty in the making. I mean they have a number of notable players: Roy, Aldrige,Outlaw, Rodriguez, fernandez,Bayless, and a good bench. They're tough and well coached and they have a true Center in Greg Oden. The one glaring omission from this list is a true veteran leader, and people say that the team will grow into a group of veterans but that can never be assured. Look at Chicago from a few years back, they had all the promise in the world yet it never panned out. Look at the Lakers during their rebulding stage, they pushed the Suns all the way to 7 games and everyone knew they would be a better team next year, and they weren't. And the Lakers had the best player in the world at that time. A slew of things can happen between now and the two to three years that they are"ready to contend". Injuries(greg oden maybe?), free Agency, team chemistry issues, just to name a few.
The bottom line is this, us fans of sports have to stop hoping during our analysis. I think that sports overall has become about potential, from drafting to BLOGGERS RANKINGS and not about the obvious. People should be sayingPortland is a nice young team that should contend for a playoff spot this year.Thats it, and next year if they improve lets state it then, but let us not crown them champions of 2010-11 quite yet.
thank you for your time on the subject

Edited by Kobynum Gasodom 2, December 01, 2008 - 05:45 PM.

Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#2 Flash

Flash

Junior

• 283 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 05:48 PM

Portland fans don't think Portland is the team of the future, they already think Portland will win the champion this season.

#3 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 06:02 PM

i was referring to non-portland fans
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#4 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bynum

Posted December 01, 2008 - 10:20 PM

They're going to be a contender in the future. Team of the future...who knows, but definitely contenders.

They're modeled after the Pistons in regards to being a team filled with solid blue collared players.
Gooden>> Lamar Odom. Mo Williams>> Ray Allen>> Gasol. Nene= Gasol.

#5 JavierLakerFan16

JavierLakerFan16

Lakers Live

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 10:23 PM

Yeah I think they would make the playoffs this year but I dont know about winning a title any time soon..

#6 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted December 02, 2008 - 12:52 AM

Portland fans don't think Portland is the team of the future, they already think Portland will win the champion this season.

Uh? I haven't seen any Portland fan say this. They're happy with their team, sure, but to think they'll win it all is a stretch.
Of course, I'm talking about real basketball fans who always follow their team no matter what. Every team has bandwagonners when they start to win.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#7 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 04:59 AM

well not just fans, analysts always call them a team of the future, but recently can anyone tell me a young team, with young stars that improved over a 2 or 3 year span to become contenders, just 1 team?

#8 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 07:49 AM

Portland ARE a team of the future, meaning that in 5 years, they will be a top top team. If Roy, Adridge, Oden, Outlaw, Bayless and Fernandez progress at the rate expected, you can't tell me they wont contend STRONGLY. Just how good they become is yet to be seen, but they have the potential.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#9 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 10:40 AM

Portland ARE a team of the future, meaning that in 5 years, they will be a top top team. If Roy, Adridge, Oden, Outlaw, Bayless and Fernandez progress at the rate expected, you can't tell me they wont contend STRONGLY. Just how good they become is yet to be seen, but they have the potential.

Right now, with Oden barely coming back, they are 1st in their division. 14 wins, 7 losses.

Nobody on their team with the exception of Pryzbilla and maybe Blake and Outlaw are even anywhere close to their prime.

#10 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 07, 2008 - 11:52 AM

We'll have to wait and see how everything plays out. They have tons of talent and potential, but their ceiling is the salary cap. The talent will be expecting big pay days, and Portland can't satisfy everyone's greed.

#11 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 12:11 PM

^ exactly in 5 years many curveballs are thrown into the mix.
No one has ever predicted a young team to be strong in 5 years, thats almost impossible to say...
they are a good team today, next year, even with the same personnel they could not win as many games...(i.e.) chicago-perfect example
Kobe wanted to go their remember, then things fell apart

#12 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 01:58 PM

^ exactly in 5 years many curveballs are thrown into the mix.
No one has ever predicted a young team to be strong in 5 years, thats almost impossible to say...
they are a good team today, next year, even with the same personnel they could not win as many games...(i.e.) chicago-perfect example
Kobe wanted to go their remember, then things fell apart

Uh, they are ALREADY winning with nobody in their prime.

They also have the best scout in Pritchard. They may not win a championship, but they'll be contenders for the next decade.

#13 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 07, 2008 - 01:58 PM

We'll have to wait and see how everything plays out. They have tons of talent and potential, but their ceiling is the salary cap. The talent will be expecting big pay days, and Portland can't satisfy everyone's greed.

Not really. Their owner is a billionaire and has a lot of money to spend. He's infamous for paying all of his players a lot of money.

Now that they have Pritchard in combination with Allen, this is going to be the team of the future whether you like it or not.

#14 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 05:29 PM

^ I'll end my defense like this, when the Lakers pushed phnx to 7 games, they were supposed to be a young growing team with potential to make noise in the playoffs the following year...started 25-12 the next year, and well...

#15 lakerfool

lakerfool

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted December 08, 2008 - 10:19 PM

^ I'll end my defense like this, when the Lakers pushed phnx to 7 games, they were supposed to be a young growing team with potential to make noise in the playoffs the following year...started 25-12 the next year, and well...

Uh, the Lakers were NEVER considered a contender because it was Kobe and co. This team is 5 deep.

Awful comparison.

#16 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted December 08, 2008 - 10:22 PM

They were just hot finishing that season off,
dark horse at best.

#17 azk81

azk81

Rookie

• 831 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 08, 2008 - 10:47 PM

i think portland will be a great team in the future
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”

-Michael Jackson 1958-2009

Gone, Never Forgotten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users