#1 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,458 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted November 29, 2008 - 10:19 AM

Article

Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey doesn't play video games for fun or fantasy. Morey uses the EA Sports NBA game for professional reasons. He uses it to help evaluate talent. Morey says he is a statistical junky, an admirer of Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane and a mathematical nerd. "I've always loved numbers," Morey said. "I don't play EA Sports as a game. I use it as a tool." While the kids plug in NBA 08 to "ooh" and "aah" over how real it looks when Kobe Bryant dunks or LeBron James runs the court and finishes, Morey plugs in for more serious purposes. "Say if you're thinking about acquiring Ron Artest," Morey said from Hawaii, where he was evaluating talent in person at the Maui Classic college tournament. "On the game, you can see how adding Artest can change the dynamic of your team. You can program it to run offensive sets with Artest and any combination of your players." According to the NBA, about half the teams are using the video game as part of personnel evaluation. In the quiet of his office, Morey said he can see how often a player posts up and gets shots on cuts to the basket as well as about defensive and offensive tendencies.

Posted Image

#2 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,861 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 29, 2008 - 11:18 AM

I guess it makes sense to use the games somewhat, but wouldn't it be easier to just watch game tape of the actual player and envision them on your team? :lol:

#3 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted November 29, 2008 - 11:49 AM

NBA 2k9 ftw.

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 29, 2008 - 12:40 PM

That's sad.

Using strictly stats to judge a player won't get you very far. The last time I checked, the Rockets haven't won a ring since the Olajuwon days, well before this retarded form of scouting. If I found out one of my scouting team was using a video game rather than doing research themselves I'd fire them on the spot.

I'm all for using technology to help things go better, but this is laziness.

"About half the teams are using video games..." And about half the teams are utter junk that have no idea what it takes to win.

You CAN NOT see how a player will change the dynamic of a game or a team by watching a demo on a video game. I can't believe that this is really happening. There's much more that goes into the dynamics of any sport than 0's and 1's.

The game isn't all about stats. To build a team believing that is to build a team that never wins.

#5 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:44 PM

NBA 2k9 ftw.

Actually it should be NBA Live 09. Only they use the stats that most scouts of teams would use. =/

#6 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted November 29, 2008 - 10:06 PM

That's sad.

Using strictly stats to judge a player won't get you very far. The last time I checked, the Rockets haven't won a ring since the Olajuwon days, well before this retarded form of scouting. If I found out one of my scouting team was using a video game rather than doing research themselves I'd fire them on the spot.

I'm all for using technology to help things go better, but this is laziness.

"About half the teams are using video games..." And about half the teams are utter junk that have no idea what it takes to win.

You CAN NOT see how a player will change the dynamic of a game or a team by watching a demo on a video game. I can't believe that this is really happening. There's much more that goes into the dynamics of any sport than 0's and 1's.

The game isn't all about stats. To build a team believing that is to build a team that never wins.

Posted Image

#7 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 29, 2008 - 10:19 PM

NBA Live 09 / NBA 2k9 cannot measure Kwame Brown or JR Smith's basketball IQ...

No wonder they are a perennial 1st round exit after Olajuwon...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#8 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted December 01, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Uhmm.. ok? :huh:
Even though the video games have characteristics of an athlete's skills, it still doesnt fully display their capabilities IMO.

#9 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted December 01, 2008 - 02:30 PM

He raised everybody's stats to 99. :o :lol:

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#10 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 04:34 PM

How much has EA paid for this advertising?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 05:20 PM

Now i understand the Pau Gasol trade a little better. The memphis GM must have used Kwame and posted a 25 point, 20 rebound stat line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users