Lakers transitional defense?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,340 posts

Posted November 28, 2008 - 03:34 PM

Forgive me if this somehow was posted on...I am rather new to this forum, but I've noticed that some bad teams are scoring a few points on the Lakers by runing really quickly after the Lakers score and they often get the points. I assume that against better teams, the Lakers' mistakes could get them into more trouble than they are with some of these sub-par clubs. Anyone want to comment about this aspect of their defense, along with any other holes that are hurting them?

Edited by leor_77, November 28, 2008 - 04:36 PM.

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,380 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 28, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Ok first off, welcome to TLN. Just a small helpful tip, dont use cuss words by using symbols to spell it out, its still against the rules.

Secondly, their transition defense has been so so this year. It has looked good at times and really bad at times. The big problem right now though is not their transition defense, but letting guards penetrate which results in the Lakers collapsing leaving other players wide open. Phil Jackson has addressed this and they are working on it in practice, it just needs to translate over to the game.

#3 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,340 posts

Posted November 28, 2008 - 04:32 PM

Haha you got it man...Maybe i'll just use curse words when referring to Boston : ) Very good and accurate assessment. They need to stop penetration and kick outs especially when they play Boston, who kills teams with their 3-point shooters, sometimes 3 of them on the floor.

Edited by leor_77, November 28, 2008 - 04:36 PM.

#4 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted November 28, 2008 - 04:48 PM

i think the biggest problem with our transition D is our size works against us in that particular aspect of the game, also we don't set the tempo against fast teams b/cuz we feel as though we can outscore any team especially non-contending teams
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,855 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 29, 2008 - 12:38 PM

When the Lakers run their offense as it should be run, transition defense isn't a problem (as you've seen with some nice blocks this year and some good getting back on a couple sets).

The problem comes when the Lakers do their one or no pass offense, take an early ill-advised shot and get caught flat-footed because of it.

Each end of the floor leads to the other. Take care of the ball on offense, you cut down on transition chances, subsequently cutting down on having to get back more often than you should.

This year has been better than some past because the Lakers aren't taking scoring chances by the other team for granted. You saw last night with just one more person coming back (Vladi in the 1st quarter) they wound up getting the loose ball on a missed easy shot. The key is to get back no matter what. You can never assume that you're beat.

Hustle will always win out.

#6 Smart Alex

Smart Alex

Most Obsessed Megan Fox

• 5,451 posts
  • Name:Alex.
  • Fan Since:Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted November 29, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Awful Last Night,

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences,
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon,
for each day to have a new and different sun."

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 29, 2008 - 01:26 PM

Opposing teams go on transition mainly because our guards miss shots from the baseline

Once the shot goes up, opposing guards leak out quickly and when the rebound is secured by the opposing PF or C, they get a quick outlet and you have a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 with the Laker who took the shot still trailing the play

Thats the risk of taking baseline shots, if you miss it, you're gonna give oportunities for the other team to run out.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted November 29, 2008 - 01:42 PM

also we dont slow down the tempo b-cuz i think this is an offensive team at heart and we rather have a scoring contest as opposed to letting or D shut an opposing team down
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#9 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 01:24 AM

I think TOronto did most of their damage against the Lakers with transition buckets, especially the 3s.

#10 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 05:50 PM

also we dont slow down the tempo b-cuz i think this is an offensive team at heart and we rather have a scoring contest as opposed to letting or D shut an opposing team down

this is our biggest problem, it was evident against Toronto again

#11 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted December 01, 2008 - 10:30 PM

this is our biggest problem, it was evident against Toronto again

Going to have to agree with you here. It's nice to see the offense shoot and be efficient but I know this is Lakers basketball to show their fans with all the fastbreaks, and quick shots.

Maybe it's time to experiment in one game where we literally eat up the shot clock like Spurs of past and the current Celtics.

I want to see an 85 to 78 point win with some good offense. Eating up 24 seconds and making the shot really frustrates the hell out of most teams in this league.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users