102 replies to this topic

#41 HEY ITS JOEY

HEY ITS JOEY

my f-stop

• 1,890 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 16, 2009 - 09:17 PM

Canon > Sony.Looks like you two have the same one.

JOEY, do you still have that one and use that one or have you upgraded since then since this was a while back? & if not, when do you plan on doing so if ever and what do you have in mind?

Also, what in your opinion is the main or biggest difference between a top of the line Nikon and top of the line Canon?

I have since upgraded to a Canon 40D with a 50mm f/1.4 lens and a Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens. Also have a Canon 430EXII external flash.

anyone looking at good p&s cameras check out the Sigma DP1, Canon G9, G10, or G11. if you've got the money look into the Olympus EP-1

#42 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,290 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2009 - 12:33 AM

Posted Image

That's my baby. 10.1 megapixel.

I used to have another cybershot Sony before this. My dad got me this last year for my 16th birthday ^_^

My dad and I are Sony everything, but I have always wanted a Canon Dslr Love photography.

i used to want that camera when i first saw it, i just liked the huge screen and the fact that it was touch screen, i came close to buying it but it was like $300+, so i kinda waited it out. i still am lol, but idk what to get next. i'm also a sony person. best buy has one similar to yours, except it's 12.1 MP for $250.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 17, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Reasons I wouldn't buy a Sony, even though they're solid imo, not great, is because their picture quality is normally not as good as Canon's nor Nikon's. That includes the colors in their photos and just the overal sharpness as well as the advanced technologies that they don't offer as nicely in comparison to Canon & Nikon. The video quality is also generally not nearly as good as Canon's on their digital cameras, BUT, I will admit, the zoom is generally always better on the Sony's and the screen's are usually bigger, however, thus making the digital camera itself bigger as well. So some people like way bigger screens & thus bigger cams, but I don't mind sacrificing a slightly smaller screen for a much smaller and portable sized camera like the Canon ELPHs.

All in all, as I said again, seemingly almost every product in electronics, including digital cameras here, some have their strongpoints and they have their weakpoints as well. You as the consumer, a smart one hopefully, should investigate all kind of models, prices, & brands, & features, & ultimately decide what matters most to you? Picture quality? Performance? Zoom? Video quality? Sound quality? Etc.

Keep in mind, pretty much almost every time more times than not, you won't find a camera that has the best in absolutely every category, but you must choose which one has the best in what features and what you personally value/prioritize more.

I personally value picture quality, performance, video quality, sound quality, & size more than anything, small/portable size, so that's why I always go with Canons mostly and Nikons would be my second choice. If I wanted to sacrifice some picture quality & video quality as well as some better features and technologies, I'd go with the Sony probably for zoom purposes & a bigger screen, though it makes the camera much bigger as well so that's a no no for me personally.

By the way, erik & to the rest of you in general, anyone who's looking to buy a new digital camera or investigate where best to buy it. I HIGHLY suggest if you didn't know already, to look at amazon.com for digital cameras there and the one you want/are looking for specifically if there is one or more. A lot of times, trust me, they will have greater prices there than at a real life store like BestBuy or etc & I don't know if all the time, but most of the time, there is no charge of shipping or tax or if there is, it's hardly not even close to as much as what BestBuy charges or some other places. Amazon is fantastic.

Also, I encourage you all to be smart buyers when making a pretty solidly priced purchase such as a digital camera, to look around as much as possible. Read all the reviews you can, from customers as well. Keep in mind, obviously unfortunately opinions may vary and some people sometimes even lie for the bad cuz they're haters or they have a legitimate grip or they praise the product falsefully because they're secretly working for the company to make it look good or something or they're just fanboys or they do have a legitimate praise. It's up to you to take as many of those customer reviews, put them together, read through the more sophisticated ones and decide what's most likely true. It's not that hard to do & of course, more importantly, try to look around as many review videos from people, especially experts on your camera, whether through video, or written. Through various websites, but also YouTube has a ton of important information and REALLY try cnet.com for sure.

#44 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,290 posts

Posted November 17, 2009 - 02:49 PM

^all great info man. +1. even when i bought my last cam i looked around for like month. read reviews, etc. i take this serious lol

#45 Dr.PhilUpOnU

Dr.PhilUpOnU

Starter

• 4,284 posts
  • Name:Dale
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 Trevor Ariza

Posted November 17, 2009 - 03:57 PM

yup im gonna buy mines on friday from amazon.. free shipping and no tax..

ive checked cnet.com already too..

now all i have to do is decide which one to get.. the Canon G10 or Canon Rebel XT1i

can you guys help me out?! :nervous:

Posted Image

#46 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,401 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted November 17, 2009 - 05:50 PM

i used to want that camera when i first saw it, i just liked the huge screen and the fact that it was touch screen, i came close to buying it but it was like $300+, so i kinda waited it out. i still am lol, but idk what to get next. i'm also a sony person. best buy has one similar to yours, except it's 12.1 MP for $250.

Haha yah. I think that's the first version of it. And I as well love the huge screen. But I get really paranoid with touchscreen cause I hate scratches on ANYTHING so I put an invisible soft layer on it haha.

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#47 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 17, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Wow, didn't know you were looking to spend THAT much, my goodness. So it looks like you really wanna' invest in a super super top of the line one. One of the only things that sucks in my opinion though is that you would think with those costing so much, that they'd have HD quality video of either 720p or 1080p, but they don't have either. That sucks, but of course that's not what those are made for anyway, they're made for their professional top notch image quality & zoom I suppose, but I'm just sayin' for that much money, what would it cost them to add HD video, oh well.

#48 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,290 posts

Posted November 17, 2009 - 09:05 PM

Haha yah. I think that's the first version of it. And I as well love the huge screen. But I get really paranoid with touchscreen cause I hate scratches on ANYTHING so I put an invisible soft layer on it haha.

i would so do that too lol. especially on that cam

#49 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 17, 2009 - 09:07 PM

Also Dr.PhilUpOnU, you don't mind have a huge camera like that everywhere? I mean even for little small events or going out with friends/family? You wouldn't want a point & shoot for that? More comfortable to move around & carry conveniently in your pocket or something? Not tryin' to change your mind or anything, just wanna' hear your perspective & what not.

#50 Dr.PhilUpOnU

Dr.PhilUpOnU

Starter

• 4,284 posts

Posted November 17, 2009 - 09:24 PM

Wow, didn't know you were looking to spend THAT much, my goodness. So it looks like you really wanna' invest in a super super top of the line one. One of the only things that sucks in my opinion though is that you would think with those costing so much, that they'd have HD quality video of either 720p or 1080p, but they don't have either. That sucks, but of course that's not what those are made for anyway, they're made for their professional top notch image quality & zoom I suppose, but I'm just sayin' for that much money, what would it cost them to add HD video, oh well.

actually the T1i shoots 720p @ 30fps and 1080p @ 30fps

Also Dr.PhilUpOnU, you don't mind have a huge camera like that everywhere? I mean even for little small events or going out with friends/family? You wouldn't want a point & shoot for that? More comfortable to move around & carry conveniently in your pocket or something? Not tryin' to change your mind or anything, just wanna' hear your perspective & what not.

I know.. I love the T1i cause of the capabilities of it, and the HD video, but the thing thats stopping from clicking on the buy now from amazon is that same reason, I want to be able to bring it to the club when we go out partying.. ahhhh decisions in life.. they never end. :enough:

Posted Image

#51 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:25 PM

actually the T1i shoots 720p @ 30fps and 1080p @ 30fps

Oh, didn't know that. My bad. I was looking at the wrong model actually, lol. Sorry. Got it mixed up with the XTi somehow. Dummy me, lol.

Well anyway, if that's the case, I personally say go with that one (T1i) then over the G10 if the G10 doesn't have that AND plus the T1i has over 400-500 more reviews and they're the same rating as the G10 so you have even more security & safety in the analyzing of it & decision making with the T1i. But more than anything, having the HD period, even if it were just at 720p, but the 1080p option is icing on the cake, makes it easy to pick the T1i over the G10 imo.

I can't really tell though, which has more zoom? I know the G10 has 5x, but what does the T1i have?

#52 Dr.PhilUpOnU

Dr.PhilUpOnU

Starter

• 4,284 posts

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Oh, didn't know that. My bad. I was looking at the wrong model actually, lol. Sorry. Got it mixed up with the XTi somehow. Dummy me, lol.

Well anyway, if that's the case, I personally say go with that one (T1i) then over the G10 if the G10 doesn't have that AND plus the T1i has over 400-500 more reviews and they're the same rating as the G10 so you have even more security & safety in the analyzing of it & decision making with the T1i. But more than anything, having the HD period, even if it were just at 720p, but the 1080p option is icing on the cake, makes it easy to pick the T1i over the G10 imo.

I can't really tell though, which has more zoom? I know the G10 has 5x, but what does the T1i have?

I would love to get the T1i.. but the deal breaker for me is the bulkiness of the camera.. I can live with the VGA quality video of the G11 cause I can just buy a HD video recorder that can record in sweet/glorious 1080p 30fps greatness!!

plus I decided not to jump straight into the dSLR class, cause im a noob when it comes to custom picture settings, so might as well start with the semi-basic.. you know what I mean.. ;)

Posted Image

#53 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:41 PM

Samples of its HD footage: (Keep in mind YouTube can only show 720p and not 1080p and even at 720p, YouTube doesn't always show it at its original best because of some lagging, chops, & bandwidth issues from time to time, but still, just to get an idea)

This video looks ABSOLUTE PRO QUALITY right here:

Some others, not as good, but still nice...

#54 HEY ITS JOEY

HEY ITS JOEY

my f-stop

• 1,890 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:56 PM

I want a Canon G11
or a Sigma DP1

#55 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted November 18, 2009 - 01:29 AM

g-11 is great, wished i could buy another camera but it ain't practical buying another one

#56 Dr.PhilUpOnU

Dr.PhilUpOnU

Starter

• 4,284 posts

Posted November 18, 2009 - 07:18 PM

Bought the G11 this afternoon.. I'll post some sample pics later on photography thread..

Posted Image

#57 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:02 PM

Congrats Phil! So what kind of HD cam are you gonna' get now? I'm telling you right now just in case you didn't know already, just a fyi, all of Canon's HDs are basically better video quality and sound quality HD than all the Flips and all the Kodaks in case you were looking at something cheaper priced & mobile like that.

#58 Dr.PhilUpOnU

Dr.PhilUpOnU

Starter

• 4,284 posts

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:07 PM

Congrats Phil! So what kind of HD cam are you gonna' get now? I'm telling you right now just in case you didn't know already, just a fyi, all of Canon's HDs are basically better video quality and sound quality HD than all the Flips and all the Kodaks in case you were looking at something cheaper priced & mobile like that.

thanks! I'll buy another canon HD video recorder.. I'll wait till after xmas..

here some sample shots I took this afternoon..

please dont laugh at me.. im not a pro..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Mmm, looks niice. The controller picture is by far the best & most entertaining of the shots you took. You should take some overly highly detailed MACRO shots of like plants and or roses & stuff.

#60 Dr.PhilUpOnU

Dr.PhilUpOnU

Starter

• 4,284 posts

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:13 PM

Mmm, looks niice. The controller picture is by far the best & most entertaining of the shots you took. You should take some overly highly detailed MACRO shots of like plants and or roses & stuff.

yeah.. the controller was my favorite pic too.. I'll try and do that tomorrow or by friday.. I just stayed inside my room with this pics.. Ill explore more tomorrow! thanks! :rock:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users